• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you remember...?

mmyap

Along the lines of the "what books did you have to read in school" I wanted to explore the topic of what books were read to you when you were younger that may have sparked your love of literature. )

I have this really vivid memory of one of my elementary teachers (no I'm not kidding, it was elementary age) reading aloud Watership Down. She probably edited it somewhat and it took all dang year but by the end of the year every kid in the class had their own version of the book and was following along.

I also remember another teacher in junior high who read The Hobbit to us. I think we also read To Kill A Mockingbird that year.

Bless them both. Thanks to them I always read aloud to my kids when they were little and they are both avid readers today. I don't think I would have done this had I not had those teachers reading aloud to me. Neither of my parents were readers so I would have really missed out if it had soley been up to them.

Any warm fuzzy memories?

I remember one of my middle school teachers reading Tuck Everlasting, and I loved it. I love to hear people reading aloud, especially my parents. Their voices were so soothing when they were reading aloud.

I don't have children yet, but when I do, I will definitely read aloud to them. Because I enjoyed it so much, and I hope that they will too.

I've read aloud to my husband before. *lol* Because he likes to be read too also, but doesn't actually like reading. I read the Chronicles of Narnia aloud to him, and he got mad that I didn't do the different voices. Silly hubs. :)

For some reason, I really remember being read Thomas the Tank engine books(which was somewhat weird I suppose since I'm a girl), but that's probably why I read them so often to my little brother. Incidentally, his first word was "Gordon". :)

I only remember three teachers reading aloud to us..Mrs. June(4th grade) read a Psalms or Proverbs every morning after we said the Pledge of Allegance. Then in fifth and sixth grades, I had Mrs. Rucker who read Trouble River by Betsy Byars, The Golden Impala by Pamela Ropner, and my favorite: A Wrinkle in Time..During the same grades, I had Mrs. Rucker who read Summer on the Salt Fork by Jessie Wiley Voils..she read some others, but I don't remember them. She identified strongly with this one, as her mother grew up much like the girl in this book..same time period and location.

In second grade my teacher was reading the Little House series to us. By the end of the year, my mother had bought me the entire set of books.

Some other books that I remember being read or following along with was Where the Red Fern Grows, Incident on Hawk's Hill, Bluejacket, The Story of Santa Claus, Mouse on a Motorcycle, The Littles... uh, can't remember anything else right now.

But I loved the Little House books.

I remember having books like A Light in the Attic, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Witches, James and the Giant Peach, and Mouse on a Motorcycle read to me in school. We probably had our own books to follow along as well, but I mostly remember really enjoying the time after recess when the teachers read to us. :)

On the other hand, I also remember an elementary school teacher reading A Day No Pigs Would Die to us. What a horrifying experience that was. I still remember feeling sick and crying over it. To this day I will not pick that book up.

Along the lines of the "what books did you have to read in school" I wanted to explore the topic of what books were read to you when you were younger that may have sparked your love of literature. )

I have this really vivid memory of one of my elementary teachers (no I'm not kidding, it was elementary age) reading aloud Watership Down. She probably edited it somewhat and it took all dang year but by the end of the year every kid in the class had their own version of the book and was following along.

I also remember another teacher in junior high who read The Hobbit to us. I think we also read To Kill A Mockingbird that year.

Bless them both. Thanks to them I always read aloud to my kids when they were little and they are both avid readers today. I don't think I would have done this had I not had those teachers reading aloud to me. Neither of my parents were readers so I would have really missed out if it had soley been up to them.

Any warm fuzzy memories?

No one read to me when I was little but somehow learned to love it. I read Watership Down when I was in my 20's. Same with the Hobbit & the trilogy.

Mockingbird, believe it or not, I just read last year. Awesome book!

In high school I remember reading The Good Earth and Of Mice & Men. I think I may pick that up on my next trip to the library. :)

In second grade my teacher was reading the Little House series to us. By the end of the year, my mother had bought me the entire set of books.

My fourth-grade teacher read "The Long Winter" to us, and somehow inserted her commentary wherever it made sense. When Laura tells her mom that she doesn't want the last biscuit because she's not hungry, even though she hasn't had anything to eat all day, my teacher told us "That's a sign of starvation." I was SO disappointed later, when I re-read it on my own, that all those little tid-bits weren't in the text itself! :)

I vaguely remember being read to in class for dictation to practise our sp and punctuation. Would kill the love books out of anyone!

Other than children's books in kindergarten and whatnot, I have never had anyone read a book to me.

When I was in kindergarten, my mom read The Hobbit aloud to me and my stepbrothers. I still remember us all sitting around her, actually paying attention. She did pretty good voices.

I also remember my dad making me read aloud to him when I was first learning to read. I absolutely hated doing it (because it was hard), but he kept making me and eventually I got better and better. I was finally proficient enough to actually enjoy what I was reading, and thus! A book lover was born.

Back