• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does mobile usage effects on health concern you?

direstraits

I was thinking today all of a sudden about the ubiquity of mobile phones nowadays. We can't seem to live without them. *I* can't live without them.

In this industry worth billions of dollars (I couldn't find the esitmated worth after 2 minutes of googling), and expected to grow manifold in magnitude over the coming years (didn't need to google this one), I would think that there are many business and political motivations to suppress any health hazards that may be associated with mobile phone use. And that means, you guessed it, I'm either a conspiracy theorist or a nutty paranoid.

Now we all have heard or read about studies seemingly conducted by research institutes somewhere or another about the relative safely of mobile phones. There are two things that bother me about this:
1. Most (if not all) seem to be sponsored by mobile carrier companies
2. For everyone that says there's no link between health problems and handphone usage, there's another that says it does affect people.

My question is this: does this bother you? Do you go to extra lengths to keep your usage to the minimum? Or do you believe that when the studies prove that it's safe, then it's safe? Do you do away with a mobile phone altogether? Did you even think about this? Do you think I have wasted my 15 minutes past-bedtime?

A recent check shows that a phone I've owned for only about 6 months have already been used for a total of almost 120 hours. I sleep out of reach of my mobile phone (if I have to turn it on at night), otherwise I switch it off when I go to bed. I always take my mobile phone out of my person (my clothes, not some nook and cranny on my body) when I'm sitting at my desk working for any length of time.

Thoughts?

ds

I don't worry about this issue at all. Our cell phone is a bad joke anyway, so the last thing I want to do it sleep with it anywhere near me, and it doesn't work unless I'm in Wichita, in certain areas, so I'm in no urgent danger from overuse. I think this scare is the latest in a long string of 'bogeys" that have been foisted upon the populice to keep us scared about something at all times. A little common sense is really all that's needed. Like DS says, keep the little gizmo a few feet away at night and set reasonable limits on usage. The other scarey thing about these things, is not the one DS mentioned...it's the human stupidity factor while using these phones. Honestly if some of us can't walk,talk and chew gum at the same time, what makes us think it's ok to to all that and hold a cell phone up to our ear while attempting to navigate a busy street in a motorized vehicle??? Now That's something to worry about.

BTW-its a Tracfone we have, in case you're all wondering which one to avoid..

The latest study I can find shows no connection between health risks (by which I take it we all mean brain tumours) and phone use. Nor does the next most recent (and even bigger) study, not made by a phone company. Having said that, I use my phone mostly for text messages and only occasionally for calls. Looking at the settings now, I see that my lifetime calls total 14.6 hours - I've had the phone for a year or so - which works out at about 2 minutes per day. It's important to note too that the only times when there is even any alleged danger is when you're sending or receiving calls, so there's no need to take it out of your pocket etc direstraits - unless, as with mine, that's the only way you've got a fighting chance of hearing the damn thing ringing.

Here's an unbiased piece of reassurance.

Here mobile phone usage while driving is banned. Only with hands-free kits. Those people you see on the roads who are seemingly talking to themselves in a car all by their lonesome - that's those sneaky Bluetooth headset thingees.

But abc, one thing that everyone seems to be in agreeement with, mobile companies-sponsored or not, is transmission stations are baaaad is they are near. Wouldn't that by association place a little bit of danger on the normal phone, which is also a transceiver by itself?

ds

Shade said:
It's important to note too that the only times when there is even any alleged danger is when you're sending or receiving calls, so there's no need to take it out of your pocket etc direstraits - unless, as with mine, that's the only way you've got a fighting chance of hearing the damn thing ringing.
This, I agree. I've got a couple of friends in the mobile phones industry, and this is what they said as well. What they also said is the phones work harder (transmitting stronger) is in areas of low signal reception, where the phone will automatically expend more power to seek out a signal. That's why it's also bad to talk on your mobile if you are in an area with bad reception for long periods of time.

Yes, I can't hear it well. That's it. Alanis's guitar riff in King of Pain is simply too soft, and by the time she actually gets to the first verse the poor fellow calling me would have already been directed to the voice mail. Happened too many times to count.

I'm talking about the remote possibility that there are parties with vested interest in keeping this relatively calm. 'Acceptable levels of risk'. Including seeing that reports appear unsolicited. I'm not saying there is this possibility [looks over shoulder], I'm just saying has any of this crossed anyone's mind.

Fox Mulder

I think the jury is still out on whether or not mobile phones have an effect on your health. Currently it has no effect on me as I only use mine about 3 minutes a month, darn waste of good money:). Where I live is out of range for the service. Some people are addicted to the phones like those that are going down the aisle in a grocery store with the phone stuck to their ear and gabbing away.:) If that description fits any of you sorry.:D I also do not like to see people driving with one hand and talking on the phone as I believe it makes a dangerous situation.

I hate mobile phones and have it set to divert. Even then I have to clear my voicemail every couple of days, which is a darn nuisance! I do do the texting thing though...

I read an article in a magazine, and we all know how reputable those are, about this lady that lived near a mobile phone mast, and she got breast cancer... actually, she was on this UK TV programme once, kind of X-Factor stylee, where candidates put themselves forward to become an MP. I don't know if anyone saw it, but there was this lady, and another gentleman who'd been in prison for fraud. It was funny... but the mobile-mast-gave-me-cancer lady was obsessed!

Speaking from the point of view of someone who hasn't bothered to look at any of the research, :eek: my gut feeling is that having a mobile phone to your ear for the best part of the day is a bad idea. I hardly ever use mine. The only reason I carry it is so I can call the RAC if the car breaks down.

It's illegal to drive whilst using a mobile phone here in the UK too. (Doesn't stop some people though. :rolleyes: )

Halo said:
It's illegal to drive whilst using a mobile phone here in the UK too. (Doesn't stop some people though. :rolleyes: )

I've heard rumors of drivers attempting to read the newspaper while driving on the kellogg flyover in Wichita...:rolleyes:

That wouldn't surprise me, abc. A woman here was recently fined for taking both hands off the wheel to apply her make-up whilst driving. :rolleyes:

I don't use the mobile often enough to really have to worry too much about that. I worry enough about everything else. :rolleyes: In this world, something is bound to get ya in the end, and if I let that stop me from using a cell phone, I'd still be sitting on the side of the highway with a bum clutch, waiting, and hoping someone {preferably not Jack the Ripper} would stop and help.

As far as the legality of using the phone while driving, as far as I am concerned, its not the one handed driving, its the lack of concentration on the road that is dangerous. I can drive with one hand. But if I am concentrating on the conversation, how can I concentrate on the road. And no, I don't talk while driving, if I did, how could I use my hands to talk. Now thats the real kicker.....:p I'm one of those people that can't talk without waving my hands about. :eek:

I have had my new phone only for about 2 weeks and my counter says I have made almost 5 hours of calls ( 4:55:29 ) and sent 149 text msgs and 11 picture msgs! Since my usage is quite high then I'll be the first to know. I'll try and write you all when my head melts ;)

I can live without mobile phones so it doesn't bother me. I refuse to have one at all. It's not because of any health risks, but I just don't like mobile phones. I don't care how convenient they are.

When I first got my driver's lisence though my parents made me carry one around with me and I hated doing so. Despite their protests I insisted that I wouldn't bring one with me after awhile and they finally accepted it. My best friend offered to give me his old cell that still had minutes left for the month recently, but even then I declined.

I think driving and talking is the biggest health concern with cell phones. It's still legal here and some folks really take advantage of it in a scary way, even with all the news stories like the lady that recently drove off a bridge and almost drawned while talking on her phone:eek: I see parents every morning speeding thru the school parking lot talking on their phone and barely missing running over the kids in the cross walk and think it's very sad.

I should add the other new concern up here is assaults related to cell phone use, a few people have taken it upon themselves to teach others public cell phone manners.

I gave up my cell about a 6 mos ao and don't miss it.

Death by Cellphone

Hello!
I'm a new member, but I've got old ideas on cellphones. Every time I see someone near me on the road who is talking animatedly on or dialing up a cellphone, I pay extra attention and revert to defensive driving mode. More often than not, I'll be cut off by someone who is dialing rather than watching the road, and I think it pays to pay attention so I don't become road pizza.

Personally, I don't have a cellphone and I avoid the regular phone whenever possible. I'm sure I have some sort of PTSD/phone phobia that was aggravated by my last customer service job, but oh well. Email is much easier and works for me in my current incarnation. (*knock wood*)

The only reason I can imagine I would want a cellphone would be for long distance drives through deserted countrysides (emergency use). Otherwise, the idea just doesn't appeal to me. As for health risks, here's the latest scare study I've seen: http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?from=rss_SciTech&set_id=1&click_id=&art_id=qw1143815761645B243

Cheers!
Lyta

Phew! That's a relief, I thought I was the only person left in the world without a mobile phone.

I hate them.

You can't have a conversation with anyone these days without their mobile ringing and you standing there like a eejit while they talk or text someone more important than you.

Major health risk to use one in my presence!:mad:

jaybe said:
Phew! That's a relief, I thought I was the only person left in the world without a mobile phone.

I hate them.

You can't have a conversation with anyone these days without their mobile ringing and you standing there like a eejit while they talk or text someone more important than you.

Major health risk to use one in my presence!:mad:

Lol, I hate when someone is a slave to their phone, we'll be out with friends at dinner and someone will start talking on their phone:eek: I want to take the phone and place it somewhere unpleasant along with the rest of the folks in our general area.:mad:

YOu want to place all the rest of the folks in the general area in an unpleasant place too, Ronny? (Just teasing you.) :D

Back