• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does spelling still count?

I think that last word is longer than "sucks". Hmm. When booknazi finds that decoder ring, I want to borrow it!

after consulting the link Martin so thoughtfully provided, my suspicions were confirmed: it's the work of gamers. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know a place on the internet that explains where to place those little anoying commas in english?

I have no idea about where I have to place it. I can do it in danish but it's not the same in english.

Rule of thumb: say the sentence out loud. Wherever you pause, and fall silent for a fraction of a second, insert a comma.

Works for me.

But if that doesn't suffice, look here for the elaborate explanation.

Cheers

Personally, I think that everyone on this forum deserves an "atta boy", or "atta girl", because internet forums are one of the few activities in which writing style still has a place. Consider that we're in the age of cell-phones, voice mail, instant messaging, and a generally speedy pace in a high tech world. It`s really amazing to me that literature is still as popular as it is! On the other hand, I remember reading a book of various Civil War soldiers' letters home, and was knocked out at the quality of the written expression in the 1800's! Keep in mind that the average soldier was a pretty rough guy! I know that misspellings were a common thing, but the way the way people would WRITE back then!- "Dearest Eunice, It's the utmost desire of my heart that you are truly well and safe. Our company shall be moving on the enemy's works soon, and the spectre of impending death haunts us all..."-that kind of thing! I think that's why spelling and grammar aren't regarded with as much importance anymore. It's not considered as relevant as it once was.

Personally, people who don't use correct grammar don't really bother me. Sometimes on internet forums I can't be bothered to capitalize things, so why should it bug me when other people do the same thing? Unless the sentence is unitelligible, I'm not bothered.

froggerz40 said:
On the other hand, I remember reading a book of various Civil War soldiers' letters home, and was knocked out at the quality of the written expression in the 1800's! Keep in mind that the average soldier was a pretty rough guy!

Actually thats not strictly true - in a normal war perhaps, but in a Civil War the same rule just doesnt apply. The American Civil War was fought for the most part by regular citizens who signed up on either side to fight for their way of life. There were few if any regular trained troops back then, except at the start of the war. Later on more and more citizens were drafted or volunteered into service.

Think of the greats poets of the war era, such as Walt Whitman, quite a lot of the soldiers would have been as literate as you or I.

...Hmm, sorry about the digression :)

Phil

water faerie said:
Personally, people who don't use correct grammar don't really bother me. Sometimes on internet forums I can't be bothered to capitalize things, so why should it bug me when other people do the same thing? Unless the sentence is unitelligible, I'm not bothered.

My feelings on this exactly. However, my boyfriend is a member of another forum and whenever he posts on there he always has his dictionary to hand. I always laugh at him about this, where as he gets very stroppy when I post something and don't use correct grammer, spelling ect. I thought he was the only person it bothered. Obviously not though. Very interesting to read different peoples opinions. Everyone is intitled to their own views. Like I said, my boyfriend and I have very different opinions on this subject. It doesn't bother me personally, but reading other peoples views I can see why it may bother them.

It's an old thread but I thought this might be part of the topic

Does anyone have any elaborate ways of remembering difficult spellings. Here are two that I've heard of:

Isosceles ( I Sat On Swanage Cliffs Eating Lovely Egg Sandwiches).

Necessary ( Never Eat Cress Eat Salmon Sandwiches And Remain Young).

Some primary school children I taught used "Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants" to remember how to spell "because". Personally, I think it's easier to just learn the spelling!

Back