• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Donation Drive

Darren

Please feel free to ask questions about our "donation drive". Any suggestions gratefully received.

Darren.

There's an announcement at the top of every forum.

Basically, the site is getting to the stage where it requires more resources (mainly bandwith) than our current hosting plan can offer. To cope with this I need to upgrade to a higher plan which costs more money.

I also need to find ways to continue raising funds for the site. The server costs money every month for admin/space/bandwith etc.

Darren.

What about banning the posting of pics? I would miss that for sure but we could always link to the picture in question. Would this save you a lot of bandwith? Maybe with just that you could keep the package you have right now.

Other suggestions: What about a boot sale? :D

OK, other proper suggestions :) More banner ads? Some pop up ads? I would hate them but if it keeps the site I love going... well ok then roll on the ads!

Lastly, I am going to make a donation right now. Thank you for the site Darren, most appreciated :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

If the pics are hosted on another server then it doesn't affect our bandwith as it's not our server account that is sending the picture. That's the big reason I've not allowed attachments. The avatars don't use much bandwith. It's the number of pageviews/hits that the site gets.

A boot sale - not a bad idea. Sell some stuff on ebay and use the money to fund the site :) I don't think we'll ever have popup ads. I hate them. Maybe some non-book ads though?

There's a list of online shops here which will pay a commission for every sale via those links. It doesn't cost the buyer any more to use these links rather than typing out the address.

Thank you very much for the kind donation :)

Darren.

I will try and use the links in future to Amazon. One question, will it matter what we buy from Amazon? If I follow the link from this site to Amazon and just buy whatever I want, you still get some cash? :)

One idea is you could make the links to the shops on the main page and ask people to use it. They are kinda hidden away a bit :)

You're welcome the donation :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

No, it doesn't matter what you buy from amazon. The links will probably take you to the books section but you can then navigate to wherever. As long as your shopping session started from one of our links, we'll get the commission.

I'll try to make the links to the shops a bit more obvious.

Sorry, Darren,

:eek: :eek:
Very sorry, Darren. It is me who always post pics! As a punishment, I would like to make donation. (but, how, seriously, I havn't figure it out.)

Btw, if you want, delete all the pics that I had once posted.
Again, My apology.

Darren,

Have you looked into adding Pricegrabber as an advertiser? I help out on a hardware website www.pcperspective.com and I know that pricegrabber pays for click throughs to the retailers. Not sure what the benefit would be for a smaller forum like this, but it might be worth a look. Oh, and they do have a pretty good book section, so if it worked it could be advantageous to us all as well. :)

watercrystal said:
:eek: :eek:
Very sorry, Darren. It is me who always post pics! As a punishment, I would like to make donation. (but, how, seriously, I havn't figure it out.)

Btw, if you want, delete all the pics that I had once posted.
Again, My apology.
No apology needed. Your pics are not stored on The Book Forum's server so they don't use our bandwith allowance. It's only data tansferred from our server that affects our bandwith.

{Tigress}, I'll take a look at pricegrabber to see what they offer.

Thanks.

Darren.

Personally, I would like to see us all pay for our own addiction. How many of us went bonkers the short time the Forum was shut down? I believe there was even a thread dedicated (by a cat that will remain nameless) to the holocaust.

Darren's too much of a gentleman to come right out and ask, but I'm not. :D
Get off of some of that dvd rental money guys & gals. Cut back on some of those Texas steaks (Ahem) :p . Here's a very generous man that can use the help from the neighborhood that HE unselfishly built. Don't let him down or you'll only be letting down yourself!

RaVeN
(who's trying to work thru his Jerry Lewis complex)

I forgot to add a PS-

For anyone that doesn't contribute, I'll come knocking on your door.

Not to kick your ass, mind you, but to stay over for 2 or 3 months.

There, that should get you some results Darren. :D

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
For anyone that doesn't contribute, I'll come knocking on your door.

Not to kick your ass, mind you, but to stay over for 2 or 3 months.

RaVeN

should be awarded for your contribution to the bookforum. ;)

Mile-O-Phile said:
Use GoogleAds - they are unimposing and context sensitive.
Done :)

Will have to see how they perform. The advantage is that we get a few cents for every click regardless of whether people buy anything from the target site. As you say, they should be context sensitive so will hopefully bring in a few more clicks.

You heard it people :) Remember that each time we visit the book forum to spend a second clicking on those links and send some money type love to Darren :)

Darren, maybe you could put on the frount page a little notice regarding the google ads and ask people to click them?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Erm .. what are GoogleAds?

Cheers, Martin
Shrug.gif

Martin said:
Erm .. what are GoogleAds?

Cheers, Martin
Shrug.gif
Check the ads in the top right hand corner of the forum now. Google ads are usually text based ads depicting a series of different sites. Oh, and btw, welcome home! :D

Back