• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Eastern Promises

roddglenn

I expected good things from this and wasn't disappointed. Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts play the two leads directed by Cronenberg.

Viggo plays Nikolai, a Russian mobster who is part of a ruthless Russian crime family in London. His carefully maintained existence is jarred when he crosses paths with Anna (Naomi Watts), an innocent midwife trying to right a wrong, who accidentally uncovers potential evidence against the family. A harrowing chain of murder, deceit, and retribution follows.

The acting is flawless throughout - Viggo in particular is extremely convincing in both his physical and mental portrayal of a very dangerous man, the camera work paints a bleak, mostly raining and cold picture of London, Cronenberg's direction is simplistic - rarely using nor needing gimicky shots or angles.

From earlier reviews (and the fact Cronenberg is the director) I figured it would be pretty violent, but it actually wasn't as bad as I thought. There are 3 scenes that are nasty and would have the more faint-hearted squirming in their seats, but overall it isn't a violent film. It is a story about 2 very different people who cross paths and are forever changed by their encounter.

A very good film.

David Cronenberg films gains a lot since he is into more classic type of stories.An hirtory of violence was a masterpiece,Easter promise comfirme him as maybe one most interesting film maker of our days.Those last two remind me of Kubric first movies,in the story telling,the caracteres.

I've watched this movie twice this week, but I could easily watch it again even though I seen it this afternoon. Yes, Viggo is indeed wonderful in the film.

I made some screencaps for graphic design purposes. Most of them involve that snuggle and kiss scene at the end. We all know what my favorite part of the movie is!

David Cronenberg films gains a lot since he is into more classic type of stories
he's not really, it's just his last two films have been more standard fare. if you want to see what i mean you should check out these movies by him:

videodrome
crash
dead ringers
the brood
shivers
naked lunch
scanners

eastern promises isn't bad, but it's nothing compared to the stuff he was making in the 80's and 90's.

My faves are Videodrome, Dead Ringers, and Scanners, although pretty much all the flix on that list kick ass. I read the novel Twins that Dead Ringers is based on last year. It goes to even more darker places than the film.

Back