• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Everything Wine

I've just discovered a website of an association of wine growers in my state. When I have some time off, I plan on making a wine-tasting vacation.:) I also found an interesting site as well.

muggle said:
Try a bottle of the Alamos Malbec wine. I think you may enjoy it.

I know you wrote this like two months ago, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll make a note for the next time I go wine shopping.

Well we're nearing summer's end and the reds are moving to the front of the store. I did find however an wonderful bright, dry and citrus white from Spain (you know me with spanish and portugese wines:D ) to enjoy this warm weekend.

Las Brisas 2005 Pinot Grigio. So good chilled with a plate of brie and crusty bread. Makes the heat almost bearable. Cheers!

drmjwdvm said:
Well we're nearing summer's end and the reds are moving to the front of the store. I did find however an wonderful bright, dry and citrus white from Spain (you know me with spanish and portugese wines:D ) to enjoy this warm weekend.

Las Brisas 2005 Pinot Grigio. So good chilled with a plate of brie and crusty bread. Makes the heat almost bearable. Cheers!
It is comforting that you read my posts and recommendations on wine :) :
muggle said:
I have tasted 3 Spanish white wines recently, all bought at World Market:

Nora - $13.99
Las Brisas - $9.99
Marques de Caceres Roija (White) - $6.99

They were all very good and I will buy them all again. I preferred them though in the order I listed them. In these cases the better wine was the most expensive.

A thought, when discussing wines, would it be beneficial (appropriate) if we listed where we bought them and the cost???

muggle said:
It is comforting that you read my posts and recommendations on wine :) :

Ahh crap you got me.:p Is it an enough of an excuse that that was two month's ago and I bought it on an impulse while I was shopping for glasses? Or am I mud?

Well at least we have similar taste. I got mine at World Market too.:D Oh and it was on sale for $8.99.

You are mud. :)

Thanks though for letting me know it is on sale. I may pop in and buy a few bottles. I really enjoy the Las Brisas. It is very good.

I also enjoy the Vinho Verde recommended by sofia.

Hey guys, I have a quick important question on wine.

What is the most expensive wine you can purchase at a bar? Do people drink wines at a bar? If so (if you do) what do (they) would you buy?

eyez0nme said:

What is the most expensive wine you can purchase at a bar? Do people drink wines at a bar? If so (if you do) what do (they) would you buy?
It would depend on the type bar you frequent. Ask the bartender what he / she has available. Good wines would probably be very expensive at a bar.

Yeah that's a bar specific question. Usually they'll have a wine list which which tells you what they have in full bottle vs what they have by the glass. Often they'll have a description of the wine as well. Just remember most expensive is not the same as best tasting.

eyez0nme said:

A bar is not a good place to try wines. Even if they have a wide selection bars and restaurants can charge up to 4X what you can buy the same retail. Also, the more expensive wines are usually sold by the bottle since once they are opened they have to be preserved. Some establishments have pressurized preservation for opened bottles, but this is not usually the case.

Since wine is such a individualized taste, you should really try less expensive wine until you find out what your tastes are. Go to some wine tastings, or better yet, have a few of your friends pick out a bottle of wine and have your own. Always serve the dry wines first, working your way to the sweet, and finishing off with desert wines. My wife and I have a blast with friends and family when we do this.

I have tried some very expensive Chateau wines, but I have never had to pay for them. When I first started drinking wine, I spent a lot of money on some expensive bottles that would have been better off spent on lower grade wines. The most I have paid is $150.00 on a Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon select. It was great, but I enjoy a good $10.00 to $30.00 Cab just as well. You can tell a difference, the flavors were very complex, but you can find complex taste in cheaper wines as well.

I do recommend in trying a few expensive wines just to satisfy your curiosity. Just buy them at reputable wine sellers, not at bars or restaurants.

Overall, wine is what you make of it. If it is just something you enjoy drinking with dinner or to drink while unwinding from work, or if you are like me and enjoy going to the vintners and learning about the multitude of variables that actually goes into what gives the wine its flavor, then that is great too. Wine is as simple or complex as we make it.

Have you considered wine futures. If you do your homework you can frequently get wines at "reasonable" prices that will eventually become expensive wines.......this is one way to buy excellent wines that most of us would not otherwise be able to enjoy.

For a workplace potluck I brought two bottles of alcohol-removed wines; a Sutter Home Fre red wine and a White Zinfandel. The Zin was more popular but both received favorable comments.
I'd appreciate suggestions for other alcohol-removed wines.

I've been purchasing Moscato latley. I finished one from the Twisted label that was okay.
Recent buys: Cantina di Casteggio Moscato and Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti (another Trader Joe's find), both 2011.

Cantena di Casteggio Moscato is described as "aromatic and delicate; fun with flowers and ripe peaches; sweet, with fine balance".
Villa Alena Moscato D'Asti is "made in the heart of Italy’s Piedmont region, from 100% Moscato Bianco grapes, it radiates with fragrant aromas and matching flavors of ripe peaches, apples and apricots".

Will be sampling them soon.

Ooooh! A wine thread.

Living in Franconia, I get access to lots of tasty and inexpensive local wines. Mainly whites though.

I'll make a post with pics later.

I had the Cantina di Casteggio Moscato a couple weeks ago. Very nice; almost like a light cider with a slight champagne flavor to it.

Vincent Bouquet - Merlot.. The year, I think, was 2009.. Tried it in a wine-bar in our town, indeed was it an excellent choice..

I've always enjoyed Merlot wines probably more than any others, though I used to prefer South America, f.e. Chile, rather than any European Merlot.. This one's french, the bartender recommended it intensively and thought why not give it a shot..
Full of taste, bet extremely soft and relaxing.. Not spicy at all, I guess you can call it a women-like wine..

Would recommend it probably for those, who enjoy red wines, though are looking for some refreshment from extremely tasteful ones..

The wine thread! Wonderful!

Touring local wineries is a great way to spend a warm afternoon. We have some very good wineries in Virgina, and some that are not so good.

Back