• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

Book written in DNA code

Scientists have for the first time used DNA to encode the contents of a book. At 53,000 words, and including 11 images and a computer program, it is the largest amount of data yet stored artificially using the genetic material.

A new Eye writing device !
Démonstration d'écriture par les yeux - YouTube

A novel device that makes it possible to draw and write using just eye movements has been developed by a CNRS researcher, Jean Lorenceau . Even with paralysis, one's eye movement doesn't cease. Knowing that, researchers have created a new technology that can train an individual's pupil to able to move in smooth cursive motion creating words onto a screen. Dr. Jean Lorenceau after a half-hour training sessions with volunteers, individuals were able to write words on a screen at a rate of 20 to 30 characters per minute—equivalent to the normal speed of handwriting. In the short-term training, Dr. Lorenceau observed patients not only gaining the ability to create letters, but also digits, words and drawings . Besides, this device will be able to improve eye movement control for those suffering from other conditions such as Dyslexia, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or even athletes and surgeons whose activities rely on eye movement .

WRITING & DRAWING WITH EYES

A Star has Secret of Eternal Youth !!

A new image from ESO’s La Silla Observatory in Chile shows the spectacular globular star cluster Messier 4. This ball of tens of thousands of ancient stars is one of the closest and most studied of the globular clusters and recent work has revealed that one of its stars has strange and unexpected properties, apparently possessing the secret of eternal youth . ( ... ) By splitting the light from the stars up into its component colours they can work out their chemical composition and ages ..

New results for the stars in Messier 4 have been surprising. The stars in globular clusters are old and hence not expected to be rich in the heavier chemical elements, but one of the stars in a recent survey was also found to have much more of the rare light element lithium than expected. The source of this lithium is mysterious !!!!! Normally this element is gradually destroyed over the billions of years of a star's life, but this one star amongst thousands seems to have the secret of eternal youth. It has either somehow managed to retain its original lithium, or it has found a way to enrich itself with freshly made lithium.
Star in nearby cluster holds the secret of eternal youth | Mother Nature Network

My father ( Physician ) told me once that Lithium usually prescribe it for those people with suicidal behavior...

I've been googling for images of the Soyuz space capsule and there doesn't seem to be very many. As far as I can tell from the images that I have been able to find, the thing simply drops out of orbit and deploys a parachute to return to earth. It just plops down on a spot of land in Kazakstan and the crew is somehow not smashed into a bloody pulp on touchdown. Do I have it about right? If anybody has some good images of this thing, post them up.

The truth, I didn't think it till today !! ;)

athemeridianijournal.com_wp_content_uploads_jm_2b_small_620x490.jpg
I took a look at this pyramid-shaped rock from another perspective and now I am doubting :lol: -- I hope that Curiosity finds out the absolute age ( timeline ) of this pyramidal rock...

Curiosity has Surprises ! ;)

After shooting it with lasers and X-rays, Curiosity rover has determined that the pyramidal rock also resembles some unusual rocks from Earth's interior . The rock, a highly fractionated alkalic rock type, it forms under relatively high pressure and often in the presence of water . Is relatively well known to geologists because it is common in rift zones on Earth and island chains such as the Hawaiian Islands ( ... ) Curiosity used its ChemCam instrument to shoot the rock with more than 400 laser blasts, vaporizing microscopic amounts and then analyzing the resulting dust and plasma. This investigation showed that the rock contained a lot of elements such as silicon, aluminium, sodium and potassium . Scientists think this rock formed in the interior of Mars when magma moved up through cooler rock .
Mars rock touched by Curiosity

A mysterious cross on Titan !

Scientists theorize that the Titan cross, which is about 40 miles ( 70 kilometers ) , is the result of fractures caused by uplift from below, possibly the result of rising magma or also may be the result of a laccolith, an intrusion formed by magma pushing up from below - The Henry Mountains of Utah are well-known examples of this geologic phenomenon .
What's baking on Saturn's moon Titan ?

Say you're a hungry Tyrannosaurus and you've just taken down a Triceratops.

How do you get at the deliciously tender neck meat behind the armor?

You tear the head off, of course.

Theirs was the immortal battle: a fierce tyrant battling a defender armed with three lethal horns and protected by a bony frill around its neck. Yet the violent fight between Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops is hardly the stuff of Hollywood hype. Tyrannosaurus bite marks are well known on the fossil bones of Triceratops but, so far, such fossils have always been studied in an isolated manner.

In a departure from this precedent, work presented last week at the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology’s annual meeting in Raleigh, North Carolina, reports on an examination of numerous bite-scarred Triceratops bones and a theory of how Tyrannosaurus fed.

Denver Fowler at the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman, Montana, and his colleagues studied numerous Triceratops specimens from Montana's Hell Creek Formation to identify how many had the characteristic tooth marks of Tyrannosaurus on them. They found 18, most of which were skulls. When they looked closer, they noted something important: none of the bones showed any signs of healing, indicating that the bites were inflicted on dead animals that were in the process of being eaten.

Step One: get a good grip on the neck frill.
awww.nature.com_polopoly_fs_7.7106.1351093529__slideshowimage_beb94dac78129a295093f6d04c83fed2.jpg

Step Two: tear the head off to expose the tasty neck muscles.
awww.nature.com_polopoly_fs_7.7105.1351093545__slideshowimage_664e2cebda40e7ce52cd36e2f644e828.jpg

Step Three: nibble on the soft flesh of Triceratops' face.
awww.nature.com_polopoly_fs_7.7104.1351092915__slideshowimage_737727ab298f61680ed2efda05a62e58.jpg

Step Four: feast on the delicacies beneath the frill.
awww.nature.com_polopoly_fs_7.7103.1351092942__slideshowimage_f1004012990c5bf1b30a91fa00b971a0.jpg

SCIENCE!

Back