• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

:rofl:

My favorite from the comment section :

Stan :

"I was up all night trying to figure out what this energy source could be.

Finally, it dawned on me. "

Same thing that happened to the Wisent's inherent freedom.

Same thing that happens with a mountain gorilla's inherent freedom when it's more likely to be preserved in a zoo than in the wild. Or an orang-utan's. Or any other animal that's currently being bred in captivity since their inherently free compatriots are being wiped out.

Same thing that could have happened with the Tasmanian tiger's inherent freedom, but sadly didn't.

Same thing that might still happen to the Northern White Rhino's inherent freedom if they manage to get the seven (7) remaining individuals to multiply.

Same thing that happens with a cow's inherent freedom.

Same thing that happens with a dog's inherent freedom.

This is hardly new. We've kept animals in captivity longer than we've eaten bread. It's only lately that we've started occasionally using it to preserve animals rather than simply amuse us for a while. If "inherent freedom" leads to extinction, it suddenly becomes very costly.

Yes, I understand what you are saying with regard to inherent freedom of every animal .. In fact, I am in favour of Species conservation or world wildlife conservation
in nature reserves or nature parks .
Although I must say, I have reservations about if all zoos in the world offer a Deserving Existence to our animals .............
( Well, this opinion would be another discussion )

Anyway, I'll make something clear with regard to Mammoth and its Inherent freedom .
- We should start from the premise, it's an animal that doesn't belong to our Time, Scientists bring it of return for teaching it to being a Mammoth in this century !!! :eek:
Or in other words, a Pseudo-Mammoth by Square meter .

Why is it crazy to think that a woolly Mammoth has the right of coming back to its habitat ?
Why is it crazy to visualize a woolly Mammoth ( being a mammoth ) in the Alaskan Tundra or Siberian Tundra ?

- We should start from the premise, it's an animal that doesn't belong to our Time, Scientists bring it of return for teaching it to being a Mammoth in this century !!! :eek:
Teach a mammoth how to live in the 21st century? What, set up a twitter account for it?

Or in other words, a Pseudo-Mammoth by Square meter .

...I don't know what that means.

Why is it crazy to think that a woolly Mammoth has the right of coming back to its habitat ?
Why is it crazy to visualize a woolly Mammoth ( being a mammoth ) in the Alaskan Tundra or Siberian Tundra ? [/FONT]
I never said it was (though it's worth noting that it died out in the first place precisely because its habitat was being eroded, so for it to come back to the exact same habitat would involve a time machine). I just said that you're not going to do it immediately. Re-introducing a threatened species into the wild - and this is the same for mammoths, quaggas, rhinos, gorillas, wisents, wolves and whatever else - doesn't mean simply breeding one boy [animal] and one girl [animal] and then dumping them in the wild to fend for themselves in the same spot they once died out in. You need a healthy genetic stock, you need a habitat where they have a chance of surviving, you need laws to protect them, you need to be able to enforce those laws, etc etc etc. That takes a lot of planning and controlled breeding, especially considering how long mammoths take to reach adulthood. Cloning one individual is the easy bit; the step from there to having herds of proud pachyderms roving the Siberian tundra is WAY bigger and far more complicated. Sending that one individual out into the wild to die out again would be plain cruel, even if it weren't also a huge waste of money, resources and political capital.

Teach a mammoth how to live in the 21st century? .
Inside a bubble .

What, set up a twitter account for it?.
Yes :lol: and then teach a mammoth the Ice & mixed Climbing . :whistling:

a Pseudo-Mammoth by Square meter - ...I don't know what that means.
Well, It was a metaphor !! A captive shadow ..

I never said it was (though it's worth noting that it died out in the first place precisely because its habitat was being eroded, so for it to come back to the exact same habitat would involve a time machine). I just said that you're not going to do it immediately. Re-introducing a threatened species into the wild - and this is the same for mammoths, quaggas, rhinos, gorillas, wisents, wolves and whatever else - doesn't mean simply breeding one boy [animal] and one girl [animal] and then dumping them in the wild to fend for themselves in the same spot they once died out in. You need a healthy genetic stock, you need a habitat where they have a chance of surviving, you need laws to protect them, you need to be able to enforce those laws, etc etc etc. That takes a lot of planning and controlled breeding, especially considering how long mammoths take to reach adulthood. Cloning one individual is the easy bit; the step from there to having herds of proud pachyderms roving the Siberian tundra is WAY bigger and far more complicated. Sending that one individual out into the wild to die out again would be plain cruel, even if it weren't also a huge waste of money, resources and political capital.

It seems a déjà-vu !! In the beginning of my first post when I talked about the Polar bears and its habitat ...
I understand all yours reasonings, but do you understand mine ?

I'm going to do my last effort for explaining me per square meters .

I am not saying that I am against the return of a woolly mamoth to our Era / Age, but this return should entail some guarantees for its inherent freedom .
As you Know, surviving without hand of man interacts by it .
Nowadays we still have serious problems with Wildlife & Habitat. For this reason I tried to do an analogy, which main aim, was highlight this situation .

I'm going to do my last effort for explaining me per square meters .

I am not saying that I am against the return of a woolly mamoth to our Era / Age, but this return should entail some guarantees for its inherent freedom .
As you Know, surviving without hand of man interacts by it .
Nowadays we still have serious problems with Wildlife & Habitat. For this reason I tried to do an analogy, which main aim, was highlight this situation .
Maybe if you try actually saying what you mean, without vague analogies and hopeful dreams about "mammoth's inherent freedom"? How would you, in practice, go about introducing an extinct species into the wild without any help from "the hand of man"?

Maybe if you try actually saying what you mean, without vague analogies and hopeful dreams about "mammoth's inherent freedom"? How would you, in practice, go about introducing an extinct species into the wild without any help from "the hand of man"?
Not . Actually, Hand of man was an allusion to captive life in a zoo .

No, the phrase "hand of man" refers very specifically to literally any human influence whatsoever, no matter how far removed.

I like colours.

Back