• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

Supernova near Ursa Major.

Already posted but it's currently visible with a small telescope or binoculars.

"This is the brightest supernova that’s been visible from the latitudes of North America in decades" said Alan MacRobert, a senior editor of Sky & Telescope magazine, in an email this afternoon. "And it’s a Type Ia, which means it’s being studied to death right now because Type Ia supernovae serve as excellent distance markers for things much farther away all across the universe".

ABC

Reuters

The Singularity, it approaches...

In just three weeks, gamers deciphered the structure of a key protein in the development of AIDS that has stumped scientists for years. According to a study published Sunday in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, the findings could present a significant breakthrough for AIDS and HIV research.

Using an online game called Foldit, players were able to predict the structure of a protein called retroviral protease, an enzyme that plays a critical role in the way HIV multiplies. Unlocking the build of the protein could theoretically aid scientists in developing drugs that would stop protease from spreading.

When they say faster than light speed, do they mean c or c for the medium? I haven't been able to find an answer for that.

I hope that question wasn't aimed at me... as I have no idea. This is all trek-talk to this arts major... I posted the Professor Brian Cox link as it was easy to understand (for me).

He might be conducting neutrino experiments in his volcano lair but he wasn't who I was referring to.

Dimension-hop may allow neutrinos to cheat light speed

Fish that physics textbook back out of the wastebasket, though: the new result contradicts previous measurements of neutrino speed that were based on a supernova explosion. What's more, there is still room for error in the departure time of the supposed speedsters. And even if the result is correct, thanks to theories that posit extra dimensions, it does not necessarily mean that the speed of light has been beaten.

Sher also mentions a third option: that the measurement is correct. Some theories posit that there are extra, hidden dimensions beyond the familiar four (three of space, one of time). It's possible that the speedy neutrinos tunnel through these extra dimensions, reducing the distance they have to travel to get to the target. This would explain the measurement without requiring the speed of light to be broken.

A Few Million Monkeys Randomly Recreate Shakespeare

Today (2011-09-23) at 2:30 PST the monkeys successfully randomly recreated A Lover’s Complaint. This is the first time a work of Shakespeare has actually been randomly reproduced. Furthermore, this is the largest work ever randomly reproduced. It is one small step for a monkey, one giant leap for virtual primates everywhere.

The monkeys will continue typing away until every work of Shakespeare is randomly created. Until then, you can continue to view the monkeys’ progress on that page. I am making the raw data available to anyone who wants it. Please use the Contact page to ask for the URL. If you have a Hadoop cluster that I could run the monkeys project on, please contact me as well.

This project originally started on August 21, 2011. Over the course of the project, over 5 trillion character groups have been randomly generated and checked out of the 5.5 trillion possible combinations.

Back