• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite book store?

There's a local used book store chain around here called Half Priced Books. I always check them first and then I use Amazon. If I really don't feel like waiting, then I'll just go to Barnes and Noble or Borders.

Depends on what type of books I'm looking for.

For fiction I would go to Chapters, to be sure. It's a big chain, lots of stock, and many locations. For Women's Studies, Sexual Health, or Social Issues I would go to either Venus Envy or After Stonewall. Plus Mother Tongue is good too but a further bike ride than the others.

There's a place in Toronto, owned by Chapters, but called the Worlds Biggest Book Store, and...I would believe it is. It's like walking into the warehouse for Chapters.

There's also a used book store in Montréal I discovered on my last trip there, it's right by the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. I think the two might be affiliated. There was a surprising amount of German books, plus Spanish and Italian. We played it safe and stuck to the English.

See, I just can't buy used books online. I don't trust what the sellers' opinion is of "fair" or whatnot. I buy used books, but not if they're all jacked up.

I have had pretty good luck when purchasing used books online (so far). However, I would rather buy used books at a local shop in the area. For new books I buy them from multiple sources: online books clubs, Booksamillion, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.

I guess I would say that Borders is my favorite book store; it seems to be where I find myself most often. If I'm wanting an older or harder to find book, though, I'll probably just use amazon.com or borders marketplace online.

My favorite bookstore, that's easy. I buy most of my books used at local library book fairs. At $2 or less per book, you can't beat the price. You'd be suprised how many people have good taste in books.....

For brand new books, I like barnes and nobles the best. I just really like the atmosphere there. I don't dislike boarders or anything, but i definitely enjoy barnes and nobles a lot more.

For used books, I really like bookmans. I don't know if you guys have them where you are from, but we have two huge bookmans stores here and they are amazing. The books usually cost between 1-10 dollars used, they have tons of books, antiques, movies, dvds, board games, etc.. You don't feel bad trying out a random book when they only cost 2-4 dollarsl

Borders is definitely my pick for new books. They have a great range and even carry imported magazines too. They even have computer terminals that allow you to personally check their catalogue rather than having to ask someone behind the counter. Oh yeah, and you can get a hot chocolate there too! Mmmmmm.

List of bookshops in Australia (Victoria):

Artisan Books
Architext
Andrews Books
Bound Words
Hill of Content Bookshop

Back