• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

favorite fantasy author

Originally posted by Ashlea
If you liked Enchanted then there are a few Lackey books you'd like. She plays around with the fairy tales a bit as well.

Ooooh, titles please? Lackey's not been on my list and I've started re-re-reading my old stuff because I ran out of new stuff to re-read.

Well, let's see: Her new one is called The Fairy Godmother, sounds promising but I haven't read it yet.

My favorite is The Fire Rose. Set in San Francisco just before the big fire (1901?) Not fairy tale based, but very interesting ideas about how magic might work.

Firebird - based on the Russian myth
Black Swan - based on Swan Lake
River's Gift - very short, not exactly fairy tales but has a kelpie
Gates of Sleep - Sleeping Beauty, but in Victorian England.
Serpent's Shadow - Other Victorian novel

www.mercedeslackey.com is her website

Her big stuff is of course the Valdemar series, now up to dozens of books. Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price is the trilogy to start with there. Valdemar is very appealing because there are horses that talk.

Also, if you like fairy tales with a twist, there's a great children's book called Ella Enchanted by Levine.

Originally posted by Carlos
Elizabeth Moon, found her books very annoying, horse ridding and space opera, errr I think not.

The Paksenarrion Trilogy and Speed of Dark aren't space opera and I don't recall a single horse in Speed of Dark!!!

Originally posted by Ashlea
Well, let's see: Her new one is called The Fairy Godmother, sounds promising but I haven't read it yet.

That's supposed to be a romance novel with a woman hero and fantasy together, I think.

My favorite is The Fire Rose. Set in San Francisco just before the big fire (1901?) Not fairy tale based, but very interesting ideas about how magic might work.

Actually, The Fire Rose (which happens to be my favorite one too) is based on a fairy tale - Beauty and the Beast.

Serpent's Shadow - Other Victorian novel

This one is also based on a fairy tale - Snow White and the Seven Dwarves in this case. I actually didn't realize it until I read someone's post on another forum who said it.

www.mercedeslackey.com is her website.

Her big stuff is of course the Valdemar series, now up to dozens of books. Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price is the trilogy to start with there. Valdemar is very appealing because there are horses that talk.

I actually suggest to start with the Arrows trilogy, then Magic's Price trilogy, then Mage Wars trilogy. ANd after that - in chronological order. :)
What I like about Valdemar most is the mind-powers.
Anyway - Prolixic, enjoy! And all the rest of you! :)

I haven't read that much in the fantasy catagory but I did enjoy the Mary Stewart books on Merlin years ago. I also read The Doomsday Book ( I think it was called) by Connie Willis years ago and thought it quite good. Has anyone read any of her other books that they would recomend?

You're right, I hadn't thought about it, but Fire Rose is a sort of Beauty and the Beast thing. Might have to re-read Serpent's Shadow to get the whole Snow White reference tho.

Originally posted by leapylees
The Paksenarrion Trilogy and Speed of Dark aren't space opera and I don't recall a single horse in Speed of Dark!!!
might have to give those a go.

I was refgerring to the Serano Legacy. I like Space Opera, but horse riding:confused:

What are the themes of the books you've mentioned?

With Serpent's Shadow , once I read about it being based on the Snow White fairy tale, I saw how it fits. As I read - the animals, her friends=dwarves, she uses 'white' magic versus her aunt's 'black', and has to hide and protect herself from her aunt.
I do enjoy reading the books where I see the background...

Greetings all. I just joined this forum and thought I would start with this thread. I see all of the usual author names listed as favs. Question: Have any of you tried ebooks? Most of them come in print as well, but the ebooks are cheaper. I can probably point you in a direction if you're interested. Myself - I am a writer and an editor for a small press in Australia. So, at the moment, I am reading very diverse things. I did get the pleasure of reading a submission that is outstanding. The title is A Muse of Fire. I have no idea when it will be released, but I really liked it. There are also a set of young adult books by Jennifer St Claire that are fabulous. And I don't think you have to be a kid to like them. I'm certainly no kid. LOL Have you read Mark Shepherd? I really liked the three books he co-wrote with others, Mercedes Lackey included. One was called Fortress of Frost and Fire. I think the others were Escape from Roksamur, Chaos Gate, Prison of Souls and Castle of Deception. I also liked Judith Tarr's The Golden Horn. I need to read more of her. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

Mark Shepherd once called the Borders where I worked and said he would be in town and would stop by and sign copies of his books. I said something like, "Oh, you co-wrote that book with Mercedes Lackey, that's where I heard of you!" In retrospect, I could've been more tactful. Oops.

In no order Jane Austin, Emily Bronte, Tolkien, Rowling, Minette Walters, Sue Grafton, James Herbet, Alexandre Dumas, actually I have quite a few fav authors.

lol ooops just re-read the thread title, never mind these are my fav authors, lets have a go at fantasy authors instead, um Tolkien and Lloyd Alexander, Rowling and Pratchet are the one's I can remember right now.

I actually conversed with Mr Shepherd via email a few times. He's a nice man. I was worried because I had written a character in one of my books who bore a striking resemblance to one of his characters (Naitachal), and I was worried about the similarities. I hadn't read his books at that time, and had already had this character of mine (a very important one) in several of my own books. It would have been very hard for me to delete him. Mark was very nice, and said it was no problem unless I named the character the same thing. I didn't. *G*

favourite fantasy author .....umm......quite a hard time shortlisting
they have to be
J K Rowling
Orson Scott Card
Tolkien
Jules Verne(when i was a kid )

Eddings
Feist
Tolkien
Rowling
Brooks
Ersula Le Guin
Gemmel

I would have to say Tolkien as LOTR was the first book i read back when i was 11; mesmorising experience. Brooks comes close after though.

Put up another point for Orson Scott Card on his Enders/Bean series. I could read his work all day. Also Stephen Donaldson Thomas Covenant series.

My favorite fantasy author must be either R. Jordan or T. Goodkind, it's a hard choice to make. I also like D. Eddings books.

Back