• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

favorite fantasy author

I love, love, love Mercedes Lackey. Her writing is easy to read, her stories are engaging, and her characters are incredibly real.
I love her books as well, that's pretty much all I've been buying for a while now. I just go right for her books and I have yet to be let down. I just love the way magic is described in her books.

Well, let's see: Her new one is called The Fairy Godmother, sounds promising but I haven't read it yet.
Just finished it, and I plan on reading it again, very soon. I love stories with a twist of fairy tale in them :)

I actually suggest to start with the Arrows trilogy, then Magic's Price trilogy, then Mage Wars trilogy. ANd after that - in chronological order.
What I like about Valdemar most is the mind-powers.
Could just be me(and I havn't read everything yet) but I always thought the mage wars was a good place to start. What I like? Yes, the mind powers are cool, but then so are the places, I always catch myself stopping to think about them.

Ruzi said:
I love her books as well, that's pretty much all I've been buying for a while now. I just go right for her books and I have yet to be let down. I just love the way magic is described in her books.

Could just be me(and I havn't read everything yet) but I always thought the mage wars was a good place to start. What I like? Yes, the mind powers are cool, but then so are the places, I always catch myself stopping to think about them.

I've not read any of her books, but I'm interested in starting them (when I get the chance). What does everyone recommend for starting the series and why?

I started with Vanyel's trilogy, Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price. I think it is the best place to start, even though it is neither the first chronologically or the first written, because it is the easiest place to pick up the feel of the world she has created. Vanyel is also a very engaging character.

The first chronologically would be the the Mage Wars, which isn't a bad place to start either but I found that they made more sense after reading some of the other books. So maybe start with them and then re-read later. :)

Michel Honaker---> great! (look at my avatar!)
Eddings, Feist,Tolkien,Gemmell,...hum, that's when I see I haven't read so much books :rolleyes:

Ashlea said:
I started with Vanyel's trilogy, Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, and Magic's Price. I think it is the best place to start, even though it is neither the first chronologically or the first written, because it is the easiest place to pick up the feel of the world she has created. Vanyel is also a very engaging character.

The first chronologically would be the the Mage Wars, which isn't a bad place to start either but I found that they made more sense after reading some of the other books. So maybe start with them and then re-read later. :)
Thanks! I had looked at that particular trilogy (Vanyel) and thought that it seemed to be a good place to start (that was without knowing much about the books).

My two faves are Tolkien (of course) and Feist. Also like Several others (mostly whose names I don't remember) like Hobb, Hayden, and like I said only remeber ideas of others not authors.

Cassandra said:
My two faves are Tolkien (of course) and Feist. Also like Several others (mostly whose names I don't remember) like Hobb, Hayden, and like I said only remeber ideas of others not authors.

I think that Hobb a good writer though I tend to prefer the works she wrote originally, under the name Megan Lindholm. Two of my favourite are The Reindeer People and Wolf's Brother.

fav authors

I have so many:

Melanie Rawn
Guy Gavrial Kay
Kate Forsyth.........my absolute fav probably
David Eddings
Juliet Marillier
Anne Bishop
Raymond E. Feist
Carol Matas
Garth Nix
Philip Pullman
Gerald Morris
L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Holly Lisle
Robin McKinley

--Sara Michelle--

To be honest most of the fantasy that I have read in the last few years has left me cold. I'm fed up with seeing the same old formula rehashed time after time :mad:

Having said that, I'm always on the lookout for something new and engaging, so I'd welcome any recommendations for books that offer something a bit different ...

However, getting back to the whole point of this thread :rolleyes: I have enjoyed the work of -

Guy Gavriel Kay (not the Fionavar Tapestry!!)
Stephen Donaldson
Raymond E Feist (not all of it, in fact very little, just Magician really :eek: )
Sheri S Tepper

I have to agree, a lot of fantasy these days seems to be formulaic pap. Having said that, I do have some favourites, and we all need a bit of mindless drivel now and then. :D

My favourites are George R R Martin, for injecting a bit of life back into the genre and for keeping me guessing about who's going to die next. China Mieville, for creating such a fantastic planet, filled with freaky creatures and unusual stenches. Sherri S Tepper for being able to write a lesson in morality without it turning into a big boring lecture. And Melanie Rawn, for when I need an easy read full of dragons, magic and fiendish enemies, even if she never does pull her finger out and get on with finishing Exiles.

Hmm, I see this George R R Martin chappie popping up quite a bit ... tell me about him :cool:

*adopts attentive pose*

my favourite is Robin Hobb though i do like the Harry Potter books though the writing is no way as good as robin hobbs. philip pullmans dark materials books are great. all the fairy tale authors are great.

amy :D

SillyWabbit said:
Fav fantasy authors are all those in the bible's new testament

That's a ridiculous statement.

Unfortunately, there's a lot missing from the New Testament. The Catholic Church says nothing on them; the Anglicans get outraged when suggested they should be included. I'm referring to those which form the Gnostic Gospels (or Apocrypha). It's not so much a fantasy, more of a pic n' mix what suits our beliefs from the many gospels and epistles written, and promote only those.

:mad:

Yes, yes, Mile-O, we all know about the Book of Enoch, etc....

Actually, i'd agree with the Bible as fantasy, along with every other religious document in the world, but then were not allowed to argue (sorry, i meant discuss ... really) about them on this forum :p Not to say they're not a good read mind you ...

Phil

phil_t said:
Yes, yes, Mile-O, we all know about the Book of Enoch, etc....

Psst. That's Old Testament ;) I was referring to books such as The Gospel of Mary Magdalene and The Acts of Andrew. (here)

Actually, i'd agree with the Bible as fantasy, along with every other religious document in the world

The Bible (Old Testament) is a history of the Jewish people. The New Testament is the writings at the time of Christ.

but then were not allowed to argue (sorry, i meant discuss ... really) about them on this forum :p...

Unless in the context of books. The Bible, conveniently, is a book and has appeared in a book discussion. We, therefore, can discuss it's merit as fact or fantasy. :cool:

Psst. That's Old Testament

<Grumble, Grumble> Okay, you win that cookie ;) But the Old Testament is much better anyway :)

The Bible (Old Testament) is a history of the Jewish people. The New Testament is the writings at the time of Christ.

No!!! Is it really!! Anyone would think we didnt get it read to us everyday at school for seven years!!

The Bible, conveniently, is a book

I can see the Headlines now, "Bible, In 'Actually Is A Book' Shocker" :D

Phil

Oponn said:
excellent, looks like I'll have to spread the word of good old Steve

*helps Oponn spread the word* :D

Steven Erikson is my favourite fantasy author. His Malazan Book of the Fallen series is just amazing! It's due for release in the US sometime soon, so I'm sure it will get much more popular than it already is. :)

Other fantasy authors I like are Raymond E. Feist and JK Rowling.

To be honest, I only started reading books (whether they be fantasy or otherwise) just over a year ago. So I've only read books from those three authors. :eek: Before that I hated reading. :eek:

I need to catch up to all you peeps :D

Back