• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

favorite fantasy author

My science fiction/fantasy favs are:
Ray Bradbury
Patricia McKillip
Ursula K. Le Guin
Meredith Ann Pierce
Garth Nix
Robert Jordan (at least the first 5) :rolleyes:

I read some Arthur C. Clarke but he was too technical. I tend toward science fantasy more than science fiction. I've also read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It was good but I haven't read any other books by her. I try to read every Arthurian legend book I come across. Garth Nix' books were really good. I read them too fast. Patricia McKillip is probably my favorite sci fi author, but I don't know which book would be my favorite. I've read a few books by Anne MCcaffery, but they weren't that memorable. I'm suprised no one has mentioned Ray Bradbury or Issac Asimov. Are they too "old" now? Is Tolkien so popular just because of the recent movies? From reading this thread I will definitely check out some Mercedes Lackey books. I know I always liked the pictures on the covers of her books, I just never decided to read one! :D

I can't name just one (or even a dozen) favorite Fantasy authors because I like so many of them for so many different reasons. I could tell you who my least favorite is (of all the authors I've read so far, that is) and that would be Jo Clayton, but even with her, she had series'/characters that I really liked. I guess I'm just a Fantasy Junkie!

But for Sci-Fi, it's a completely different story. Robert Heinlein is by far my favorite. His characters make his stories. That they just happen to live on the moon, time travel, or be virtually immortal is secondary to their life experiences, relationships, and personalities.

Terry Goodkind

Terry Goodkind is the greatest author of all time. Admit it, just because every book after stone of tears sucks doesnt mean he isnt the greatest. I mean, Wizards First Rule and Stone of Tears makes me cry every time I read them!
-Shane

I would have to say that David & Leigh Eddings, Mercedes Lackey, Marion zimmer Bradley & Tolkein are my all time favorite authors.

I have recenlty started reading some Sara Douglas and I have to admit that I rather enjoy her material....in time she just might also be one of my favorites :)

I don't read all that much fantasy-wise, I feel somewhat intimidated by the vast hordes of titles on offer, especially knowing that so much of them are formulaic and unimaginative at the best of times, so I tend to stick to only the most renowned authors. However I absolutely adore Tolkien, and have done since I first read the hobbit at the age of about seven. Robin Hobb's books are also superb, and I could not find uch ground on which to fault her work-I'll have to seek out her books written as Megan Lindholm now though.

As far as science fiction is concerned, Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert are my personal favourites, in my opinion it's very hard to beat the scope and imagination of the Foundation series, and of course robots are always good.

Back