• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Line(s) from a movie?

Dorothy: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Jack Torrance: HERE'S JOHNNY.

Hannibal Lecter: [on telephone] I do wish we could chat longer, but... I'm having an old friend for dinner. Bye.

XD. The last one is one of my favorites, too, Sofia. But my favorite is "You have failed me for the last time." (Darth Vader from Star Wars.)

There are tons. But this is one of my favourites, from a somewhat obscure but fantastic film from 1984 called "Repo Man". Our anti-hero, Otto, has just been in a hold-up where it turns out that one of the robbers is an old friend of his, Duke. Duke has been shot and is dying in Otto's arms.
Duke: The lights are growing dim, Otto... I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate... and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am.
Otto: That's bullshit. You're a white suburban punk just like me.
Duke: Yeah... but it still hurts. *dies*

Of course, you gotta have something from a David Lynch movie. Nic Cage in "Wild At Heart", for instance.
Sailor: This here's a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

But no, the best line has got to be from that cinematic masterpiece, "Return Of The Living Dead".
Send more cops!

Heh, I also like
Nobody puts Baby in the corner! & There's no crying in baseball!

But my favorite (and one of Jenn's favorites - mentioned somewhere on this forum) is from Chasing Amy:
I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't, I can't look into your eyes without feeling that, that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, because I've never felt this way before, and I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know... I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there is a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. All I ask, please, is that you just, you just not dismiss that - and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Alyssa, there isn't another soul on this fucking planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that I'm forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
I think Kevin Smith's movies are pretty quotable. :p

(Also, "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." from Sunset Blvd.)

Exec #1: Item six on the agenda: "The Meaning of Life" Now uh, Harry, you've had some thoughts on this.
Exec #2: Yeah, I've had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and what we've come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: People aren't wearing enough hats. Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person's soul. However, this "soul" does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man's unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.
Exec #3: What was that about hats again?

(From Monty Python's The Meaning of Life)

beer good said:
There are tons. But this is one of my favourites, from a somewhat obscure but fantastic film from 1984 called "Repo Man". Our anti-hero, Otto, has just been in a hold-up where it turns out that one of the robbers is an old friend of his, Duke. Duke has been shot and is dying in Otto's arms.
Duke: The lights are growing dim, Otto... I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate... and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am.
Otto: That's bullshit. You're a white suburban punk just like me.
Duke: Yeah... but it still hurts. *dies*

Of course, you gotta have something from a David Lynch movie. Nic Cage in "Wild At Heart", for instance.
Sailor: This here's a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

But no, the best line has got to be from that cinematic masterpiece, "Return Of The Living Dead".
Send more cops!

Nice choices, I haven't watched Repo man in such a long time I may have to dig it out and in Wild at Heart I like "My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me. WOOF!"

"I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the dirt"
-Mommie Dearest

"You've stolen my heart, as well as another prominent organ south of the Equator"
-Quills

And my new favorite (sort of), from the 1970 award-winner Beyond the Valley of the Dolls:

"By my troth, I swear to it that you will taste my black sperm of revenge!!"

"Quella putanna me fregata!" -- Johnny Stecchino

Eleanor: What would you have me do? Give out? Give up? Give in?
Henry II: Give me a little peace.
Eleanor: A little? Why so modest? How about eternal peace? Now there's a thought. -- The Lion in Winter

"Prepare to hurt, and not emotionally like I do!" -- Chicken Little

"He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs. I wonder whether Mark means that he eats dogs or is fond of them? Mark can be so vague at times." --Bringing up Baby

Isabell said:
OMG, I love all of those, KristoCat!!
Me too :D If I have time later I'll try to come up with more. I love quoting from TV and movies to make jokes, just in conversation, and I have a freakishly accurate memory for stuff like that.

Its a tie for me: You can't handle the truth! (A Few Good Men) and Go ahead, make my day (Sudden Impact).

You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

"Stella! Hey, Stella"

"No Wire Hangers!!!!"

I'm king of the world!

Oh, like everyone here, there are lots of great movies lines that I like. I'll start with the first one in my signature. I love Woody Allen, pedophile that he is.

:D

Back