• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Quotes

I know. That's why I wrote it here. :)

"Love can crown you, as well as crucify you."
Kahil Gibran

"billy pilgrim says that the universe does not look like a lot of bright little dots to the creatures from tralfamadore. the creatures can see where each star has been and where it is going, so that the heavens are filled with rarefied, luminous spaghetti. and tralfamadorians don't see human beings as two-legged creatures, either. they see them as great millipedes--'with babies' legs at one end and old people's legs at the other,' says billy pilgrim."

from slaughterhouse five, by kurt vonnegut.

"When I was still alive, there were these protable radios and tape-players some young people carried with them wherever they went incities in the United States, playing music at a volume capable of drowning out a thunderstorm. These were called "ghetto blasters." It wasn't enough, a million years ago, that we already had ghetto blasters inside our heads!"

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

"A tramp: a man who would be called a tourist, if he had any money."
Julian Tuwim

Time to revive this old bugger. Here's a very nice quote:

You do not have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body. -- C. S. Lewis

Cheers

“Lowbrows find everything heavy going that isn’t lowbrow. Highbrows reject everything as vulgar that isn’t a mass of archaisms. Some only like the classics, others only their own works. Some are so grimly serious that they disapprove of all humour, others so half-witted that they can’t stand wit. Some are so literal-minded that the slightest hint of irony affects them as water affects a sufferer from hydrophobia. Others come to different conclusions every time they stand up or sit down.”
-Thomas More despairing (indirectly) at his readers.

“Human nature constitutes a treaty in itself, and human beings are far more effectively united by kindness that by contracts, by feelings than by words.”
-Another one from More, this time rather more meaningful.

Nature does not know extinction; all it knows it transformation. everything science has taught me, and continues to teach me, strengthens my belief in the cojntinuity of our spiritual existence after death.--Vernher von braun

Themistocles said:
“Lowbrows find everything heavy going that isn’t lowbrow. Highbrows reject everything as vulgar that isn’t a mass of archaisms. Some only like the classics, others only their own works. Some are so grimly serious that they disapprove of all humour, others so half-witted that they can’t stand wit. Some are so literal-minded that the slightest hint of irony affects them as water affects a sufferer from hydrophobia. Others come to different conclusions every time they stand up or sit down.”
-Thomas More despairing (indirectly) at his readers.

Where did he lead to? :confused:

Themistocles said:
“Human nature constitutes a treaty in itself, and human beings are far more effectively united by kindness that by contracts, by feelings than by words.”
-Another one from More, this time rather more meaningful.

nods head. :)

favorite book quotations

I think the titel speaks for itself.

"If one hears bad music, it is one's duty to drown it in conversation."

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice

“He was a giant among pygmies. But perhaps it’s right that all his work and greatness should die with him. Isn’t man but a blossom taken by the wind, and only the mountains and the sea and the stars and this Land of the Gods real and everlasting?”

James Clavell - Shogun

" A good friend will jump in harm's way the second you ask. A great friend will do it without being asked."

Tom's mother in Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason

I'm pretty sure I got it right, but if I didn't, I'm not far off. :eek:

"Her allure stemmed from her accessibility; like Mt. Everest, she was there, and the men climbed on top of her each time they felt the urge."

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller, Yossarian talking about a prostitute

"Notoriety is not as good as fame, but miles better than obscurity."
The little antichrist boy (forgot his name)
Bad Omen, Gaiman + Pratchett

Linguana said:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice

That's mine too!

Hi guys! Just ran across some quotes that I really like. One I can't attribute. It came to me in a Christmas e-mail from a friend of mine and I don't know where she got it. The other's by Albert Einstein. SO, I was thinking maybe folks have favorites they'd like to share?

Would those of you in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

John Lennon
English singer & songwriter (1940 - 1980)

Great spirits have always encountered opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.

Albert Einstein, quoted in New York Times, March 13, 1940
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Unknown.

Cheers!

Cie

ctadams said:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Unknown.

I like that one! :D

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion." - J Paul Getty.

Unfortunately, I can count my money everyday. Sometimes in one hand. :(

ds

Back