• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favourite lines from a book

Slightly longer than a few lines but hush you

''Could this have been love? Grant it to be one form of love, for even though at first glance it seemed to retain its pristine form forever, simply repeating that form over and over again, it too had its own unique sort of debasement and decay. And it was a debasement more evil that that of any normal kind of love. Indeed, of all the kinds of decay in this world, decadent purity is the most malignant.

Nevertheless, in my unrequited love for Omi, in this the first love I encountered in life, I seemed like a baby bird keeping its truly innocent animal lusts hidden under its wing. I was being tempted, not by the desire for possession, but simply by unadorned temptation itself.

To say the least, while at school, particularly during a boring class, I could not take my eyes off Omi's profile. What more could I have done when I did not know that to love is both to seek and to be sought? For me love was nothing but a dialogue of little riddles, with no answers given. As for my spirit of adoration, I never even imagined it to be a thing that required some sort of answer.'' - Confessions Of A Mask - Yukio Mishima (Pages 72-73)

All time favourite line

here you can post your all time favorate bit in a book,it can be a conversatio or anything...but NO MORE then one!plz!

heres mine

'What happened?',Belgarath asked
'Brill',silk replied
'again??'.the old man sounded exasperated,'what was he doing?'
'Flying,last time i saw'
'what?'
'he wasnt very good at it'
'ah,i see'
'do you think he'll learn in time?'
'well possibly'
there was a muffled crash a thousand feet below,then another,smaller crash
'hmmmm,does bouncing count?',silk asked
'no'
'then id say he probably didn't learn in time'

i was SO LMFAO XD:DXD:DXD:DXD:DXD

hahaha I have waaaay to many to even attempt to list, however some of my favs. are:

"Stay Gold Ponyboy!"

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

"Let's say there was a little girl, and from the time she could understand, she was taught to fear... let's say she was taught to fear daylight. She was taught that it was her enemy, that it would hurt her. And then one sunny day, you ask her to go outside and play and she won't. You can't be angry at her can you?"

"need a haircut, greaser?"

Ponyboy: Nature's first green is gold, / Her hardest hue to hold. / Her early leaf's a flower, / But only so an hour. / Then leaf subsides to leaf, / So Eden sank to grief. / So dawn goes down to day, / Nothing gold can stay.

Johnny: Where did you learn that? That's what I meant.

Ponyboy: Robert Frost wrote it. I always remembered it because I never quite knew what he meant.

"I am a greaser. I am a JD and a hood. I blacken the name of our fair city. I beat up people. I rob gas stations. I am a menace to society. Man, do I have fun! "

"Oh, I feel some concern for my future, all right. Sure. Sure, I do." I thought about it for a minute. "But not too much, I guess. Not too much, I guess."

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible. "

"This is a people shooting hat," I said. "I shoot people in this hat."

Ahh! I've gotta stop myself now, or this is liable to go on forever!

i said only ONE!!grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok mabye two from now on..i just LOVED the bit in 'castle of wizardry' in the belgariad when lelldorin explained to garion what happened in arend,it was just SO LOL,my throats still hurting and it made me cry with laughter,unfortuantly its too long to write down but i loved it so much XD

This is actually a great thread with a lot of potential. The only reason why I'm not contributing is because I have so many favorite lines and I'm too lazy to go back to my books, find the relevant quotes, and post it here. I like my forum experience to be set to "cruise control." For forum postings, if what I need is not in my head, I move on.

Nature's first green is gold, / Her hardest hue to hold. / Her early leaf's a flower, / But only so an hour. / Then leaf subsides to leaf, / So Eden sank to grief. / So dawn goes down to day, / Nothing gold can stay.

I love that poem, and I'm sure it's about forsythia. We had a big bush next to our house when I was growing up. It was gold before it was green. The gold was for a very short time, while the green lasted all summer through all the heat and humidity.

I really love that poem as well! It's really quite sad, I even have it memorized... It was a perfect choice to be included in The Outsiders.

ok ok,lets change it to all time fav lines,so we cna post as many as we want.....

heres one

'oh whats the point of living anymore?'
'well for me its making other people ask that'

oh hyeres a great one XD

'oh no!il be seasick every second of the trip!!',she wailed.
'you can if it makes you happy dear'

After Frederic kissing Catherine in Farewell To Arms

Catherine says:

" You will be good to me won't you darling?"
and Frederic thinking:

"What the hell?"

Back