• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fiction vs. nonfiction

fabkebab

Hi there everyone - I am a newbie so forgive me if this is an old, old question -

But how much fiction do you read vs. nonfiction?

For my part, I mostly read nonfiction (because it is typically less disappointing than fiction) - But i want to be someone who reads a lot more fiction...

I also read mostly non-fiction. But a few novels and short story collections sneak in here and there. I keep hearing a stereotype that only people who want to write fiction read fiction. I doubt that's true, but it probably becomes more and more true every year as huge swaths of fiction become little more than vehicles for movie pilots. Not much recent fiction catches my eye. Plus, committing the time to something I may not find any satisfaction in increases the risk of buying and consuming modern fiction. I've had many disappointments.

I do notice these days as I traipse through bookstores that fiction sections seem vacant. Maybe one or two people scratching their chins trying to weigh the risks. But nearly every other department (apart from philosophy) teems with people. Some people I know theorize that fiction is a purely functional section that doesn't get browsed. People who buy fiction know what they're buying so they go, grab, and scat. I don't know. All I see are empty fiction aisles in almost every bookstore I visit. This doesn't give one a warm fuzzy feeling about the state or the future of the genre.

I try to keep it a 1:1 ratio but is seems like lately I am reading more fiction than nonfiction.

I do notice these days as I traipse through bookstores that fiction sections seem vacant. Maybe one or two people scratching their chins trying to weigh the risks. But nearly every other department (apart from philosophy) teems with people. Some people I know theorize that fiction is a purely functional section that doesn't get browsed. People who buy fiction know what they're buying so they go, grab, and scat. I don't know. All I see are empty fiction aisles in almost every bookstore I visit. This doesn't give one a warm fuzzy feeling about the state or the future of the genre.

I sometimes wonder if the large groups of people around non-fiction is due to a sort of "migration" away from libraries for college age people doing homework - I always see lots of people who seem to be doing school-looking stuff in the aisles of our local cafe-enhanced bookstores

I read both and I like both (in non-fiction I read history or philosophy).
And I especially like the mixture of both subjects - for example Umberto Eco.
Maybe you are interested in Elias Canetti: in his novel "Die Blendung" english Auto-da-Fe (referring to wikipedia) the main character is talking about the difference of fiction and non-fiction - especially about the disadvantage of novels (I don't know how famous Canetti is in the English speaking world, but I think he is great).

Greetings

Hi there everyone - I am a newbie so forgive me if this is an old, old question

Nothing wrong with it, a good topic that needs to be brought up from time to time. And don't mention the whole "newbie" bit, there isn't a condescending attitude or pecking order based on how long someone has been here. Our condescending and elitist attitude is mostly based on what you read.:D

But how much fiction do you read vs. nonfiction?

I use to be a "just the facts Ma'am" non-fiction reader. I preferred biographies and mostly historical writings. I really got into fiction when I first joined this forum and have since, made it what I mostly read on a daily basis. I would say that I run a 70-30 split in regards to reading fiction & non-fiction. I like to read two books at the same time, though I hate doing that if both are fiction or non-fiction. It kind of throws you off IMHO.

For my part, I mostly read nonfiction (because it is typically less disappointing than fiction) - But i want to be someone who reads a lot more fiction...

Joseph J. Ellis writes non-fiction like it's fiction, interest wise. Definitelygot to give him a shot if you like history. Gore Vidal writes fiction like it's non-fiction, he's the man.:cool:

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I am certainly interested in improving my fiction enjoyment rate - I feel a work of fiction has the potential to be more enjoyable, but only about 1/10 books really suck me in. I also am a father with two very young children, so I dont get much time for reading

Of the authors mentioned so far, I have read Umberto Eco - I really enjoyed "name of the rose" although I cant imagine being able to find the time for something like that at the moment - it moves at such a gentle pace that I feel it needs to be read in large installments (>50 pages in a sitting) where at the moment I am probably only finding time for 20-page time slots :)

Mostly fiction with the rare leap into nonfiction. When I do read nonfiction I prefer authors such as Augusten Burroughs, David Sedaris and Mary Roach. I also like to read books about film and certain periods of history (anything before the late 1800's).

I'm the opposite. I read almost all fiction and rarely venture into the non-fiction offerings. I can see a very real benefit to non-fiction, and the allure of learning new things vs. reading for pure enjoyment is certainly a strong pull. But when it comes down to it, give me a nice book that I can just sit back and enjoy any day.

Lately it's pretty even. Overall I have read far more fiction. I try to keep it balanced but I run in streaks. Until recently it was several non-fictions in a row. I think there is more to learn from fiction than some people would give it credit for and there's also more entertainment value in non-fiction than other people care to admit. You just have to find your niche.

Back