• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Free Children's Book Competition for TBF members only

Motokid

Here's your chance to win a free children's picture book direct from the author. Well, not exactly free. The one major catch is that you have to provide an honest, forthright, and complete review of the book, and post that review here at TBF. The only other stipulations are: You have to be a TBF member, and you will have to supply me with a shipping address. You must also have a child/children under the age of 6 or 7 (if you are still reading to them the age does not matter so much), either in your home, or within close enough proximity so that you can relay the childs impressions of the book in your review as well.

Remember, this is a picture book for kids, and the opinion of the child is just as valuable as the opinion of the adult who's reading it.

This competition will run the month of September. As long as your post has a September date on it you have a chance to win. What I want, is for you to tell me why you and/or your child might want to read and review my book. Why you are looking for something new. Why you, or your child might like a book about motorcycles and racing. Convince me why you may deserve this book more than some other member of TBF. Basically I'm looking for a good, well thought out post that will make me think I can get an honest, impartial review from you and the child nearest your heart. Maybe you're bored with reading "Where The Wild Things Are" for the ca-billionth time? Maybe your child has just lost interest in books altogether? Be creative. Be funny. Be serious...

A poll can be started for TBF members to pick the winning post if you prefer that. Like sirmyk did with his book competition....

No money from you is needed, just your time and honesty.

OK Moto. I'll bite, in spite of the FRIGHTENINGLY large image you've got up there. I'd be happy to read your book and provide you with an honest review.

I don't have any kids of my own, although I am aniticpating that I will in the fairly near future (near being an abstract term here, we're NOT talking about next week or anything). Reading was very important to me as a child and I'm certain it is the reason I read as much as I do as an adult. I worry that kids these days spend more time watching movies and DVDs than they do with other activities like reading. I'm determined not to have one of those kids. I'm in the process of amassing a collection of children's books for my future kids. I've been collecting them since I went to college. I have books from when I was a child, new copies of books that didn't make it through my younger brothers and new books that I think will be good for my kids to have read to them. Your book would undoubtedly make a unique addition to my collection.

At present I have two individuals that I read to on a regular basis. My nephew Jake (warning: I'm at work, so this picture is a tad old, from last fall I think) is racing rapidly toward three. He has a deep interest in autos and other vehicles. His favorites are emergency vehicles (probably because I bought one of every single Little People fire truck and ambulance the week he was born), but he loves just about everything with wheels. I think he'd be quite interested in your book. His current favorite is Cars, Trucks and Things that Go by Richard Scary. I just bought a brand new copy for him and his grandfather (Tom's dad) to read, as their copy had seen better days after Tom, his three brothers, and now Jake.

I also read to my dog Zoe during thunder storms because listening to me read calmly relaxes her a bit. I don't think that she would be particularly interested in your book unless there is a dog in it ;).

i have 2 boys, michael and sam, ages 5 and 1 1/2. sam may be a bit too young to grasp the story line of the book, but he loves pictures and has started to point out things he recognizes. the dog, dad, mom, food. it was at this age that michael discovered his deep love for all things with wheels. i expect sam won't be far behind his brother in the love of vrooom.
michael, like his dad, loves motorcycles. what boy doesn't? i anticipate that your book will be deeply scrutinized by father and son alike and initially the story will go unnoticed while they pick apart the bike. once that is exhausted i am certain they will get around to reading the story, together, which will leave me with a 30 whole minutes to myself.....*sigh* oh and father/son bonding, which is really the important thing here.....

Three people so far huh? I can really feel the love.....

Based on sirmyk's reply you really shouldn't be sweating the requirements for entry....although the simplicity of his post makes me wish I had entered his contest with a one word post.....boo!!!

I have two sons, ages 2 1/2 and 6 . When my oldest son was about ten months old, he said his first word...tractor. I kid you not. Anything with a motor makes both boys' heads turn. A book about a motorcycle would make for many hours of ooohing and aaaahing by both boys (and I'm sure more than a few fights, but that's what brothers do, right?). I'm always looking for something new to read to the kids, and this one would definitely be a hit. And I'd be glad to post a review here on TBF.

Motokid said:
Three people so far huh? I can really feel the love.....

Based on sirmyk's reply you really shouldn't be sweating the requirements for entry....although the simplicity of his post makes me wish I had entered his contest with a one word post.....boo!!!

My daughter is 10.

I would love to read and provide a review of your work.

Actually, my wife works in a daycare center!!!

Maybe she can take it in and read it to her class!

That would be cool!

leckert said:
yeah, okay.

so when do I get my book?

When you pay for it.....or when you "win" it....

If you win it from this competition you'll have it before Halloween....

If you'd like to buy one I can get it in the mail within days....or when the "special" pictures of Ricky and Ronny arrive..... :D

Motokid said:
When you pay for it.....or when you "win" it....

If you win it from this competition you'll have it before Halloween....

If you'd like to buy one I can get it in the mail within days....or when the "special" pictures of Ricky and Ronny arrive..... :D

So I have to buy your book, then read it, then review it,

so that I can win your book?

(and if I get pics, then we get pics! :D)

no no no....re-read the first post....the review comes after you win the book....for now, all I want is why you think you should win the book.....that's all....

:) I have 10 kids total, but most are reading on their own, or are just too old for your book. BUT, my youngest two, Ethan and Elijah are 6 and 4, and would love a story about anything that moves faster than them! Besides, we have neighbors who have motorcycles and they get to watch the little guys next door and down the street riding their mini-bikes and I'm sure they're wondering if they're missing something here. Your book sounds like a fun read and Ethan and Eli would love to be testers for you.

Motokid said:
no no no....re-read the first post....the review comes after you win the book....for now, all I want is why you think you should win the book.....that's all....

OOOOHHHHH...

yeah. See, the first time I just read "free book" and "SirMyk" and "No Money" and got all excited.

Once you actually read the post, it makes much more sense. Sorry!

I will formulate a response.

abecedarian said:
and Ethan and Eli would love to be testers for you.
Parents (you) are testers too.....I'm looking for the reactions of the children and the parents...

good to see you around a bit more abecedarian :)

abecedarian said:
Nice to be back :cool:

I don't know you, but I love your avatar.

I can't explain this, and I am definitely a little soft, but anything having to do with Dudley Doright makes me think of breakfast cereal.

That's kind of a warm and fuzzy thing. :D

weird.

Thanks! I always loved the Bullwinkle and Rocky Show, and Dudley Do-Right and Nell were so fun..hokey, but clean fun. My kids brought home a collection of episodes and have been having fun getting to know all the characters I grew up with. When I saw Nell, I thought she'd be a good avatar for me.

September is half over today people....time is moving on....

Enter now...it's free...I only ask for a small amount of your time.

I've only got 6 people in the running so far...

Mehastings, Jenngorham, Sirmyk, Cajunmama, Leckert, and Abecedarian

There has to be more of you out there with kids, and or access to kids...

Back