• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

genres you like to read

kuroc

I like to read all genres but romance and westerns.
The genre I'm not sure about is non-fiction don't know if I would like it or not.

What would be a good non-fiction book to read to see if like the genre or not?

I'm with you - I tend to leave off my reading list pure romantic fiction and westerns.

As for non-fiction - that all depends on what interests you. There's so much to choose from: travel, space, science, education, politics, memoirs/biographies, history - the list goes on and on.

I mostly read horror or sci-fi.

Not to much non-fiction either but my favorite is the biography of comedian Bill Hicks called American Scream.

I'm the same as you - I won't go near soppy romance stories or Westerns.

As for non-fiction books, I have heard that Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything is a great read. I have it waiting for me on my shelf, but I haven't got around to reading it yet

kuroc said:
I like to read all genres but romance and westerns.
The genre I'm not sure about is non-fiction don't know if I would like it or not.

What would be a good non-fiction book to read to see if like the genre or not?

I agree with you in tersm of romance, westerns are good though. Have you tried anything by Louis L'Amour?

Good non-fiction:

The Madman and the Professor; Simon Winchester
A People's History of the United States; Howard Zinn
Democracy in America; Alexis de Tocqueville
Any book about John Gotti and/or the mob.

I don't read fantasy, science fiction, thriller, crime, western, romances, horror...

So what does that leave?

I will read pretty much anything.

Except for romance novels. I just can't get into them. I don't mind a book having romance in it, so long as that is not the main thrust of the book. I have read very little sci-fi though I have nothing against it.

I usually get into book 'moods'. Where I will go to the bookstore once every few months and the majority of the books will be along a certain line. This time around I have been in a Historical fiction/ Non-fiction type of mood.

Personally non-fiction can be very good. It is all about finding a particular subject that interests you.

Kuroc - If you can let us know what areas you are interested in then people may be able to narrow down some non-fiction choices for you, it is such a broad spectrum.

Personally I prefer to read sci-fi, fantasy and historical fiction. However I will read most other genres from time to time. Like the majority, romance and westerns do not figure heavily in my reading however I am not adverse to romance being part of the plot (I just do not like it being the main focus). Horror is another genre I am not particularly enamoured with.

I like to read all kinds of genres. It all depends on what mood I'm in. The only genre I haven't indulged in as much as the others are westerns... it's not my fault! I get easily distracted by books in general!

I went two years where I was reading mystery/suspense exclusively at nearly a book per week pace.

...and I got tired of it.

To pick myself back up off the ground I have tried branching into other areas and found myself most at home in sci-fi/fantasy thanks to George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series and Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

I've only recently started getting back to mysteries but the reintroduction will be a slow, gentle process.

Since joining TBF, my reading has expanded to include almost everything. I've actually bought autobiographies (gasp!).

But I'm still not reading Westerns - McMurtry or not.

ds

Try reading "The Big Sky" by A.B. Guthrie, jr. If you then don't like Westerns you will at least be able to say that you tried them. :)

direstraits said:
But I'm still not reading Westerns - McMurtry or not.
ds
I have to tell you, you could do a lot worse than starting with
Lonesome Dove. One of my top five books of all time.

direstraits said:
I knew that was a good line to fish for good recommendations! Cheers, muggle! :D

ds
As pwilson states, Lonesome Dove is also a great read and one of the top Westerns. Heck, we might just get you hooked on them where you read little else. :)

Prof Tolkien - *where* have you been? Goodness it's good to see you. Hope everything's well and dandy.

I do have Lonesome Dove in my TBP list, but let's just say I've not wandered close enough to the westerns as of now to get it. According to the Chinese calendar, my birthday's around the corner...

:D

ds

My favorite genres are horror and fantasy. I used to read science-fiction but for whatever reason I focused more on fantasy. I'll read historical fiction too, and depending on the subject non-fiction. So yeah, I have my favorite genres :D.

I'll read almost anything, except romances and westerns.
As for nonfiction, I love memoirs, science, philosophy, psychology, philosophy, and ethnographies.

Back