• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George R. R. Martin: A Song Of Ice And Fire

Jessica089

I went to the library and got a whole heap of reccomended books...I don't know how I'll ever finish them but I deicded to get the first book in this series, I was reccomended it and know nothing about it. The first one is A GAME OF THRONES (by George R. R. (sound familiar???) Martin) I have a whole heap of fantasies to choose from so I was wondering if anyone has read it and if so did they like it and reccomend it? And what's it about? :)

It's very good. The only down side of the series is that it isn't finished yet. so if you get into it now you'll have a long wait before you get to finish the series.

The story is written in chapters following different characters, it's basically the story of the Starks, but really it's several different stories that are all linked. The Starks live up in the cold north where winter can last several years. North of them is the wall that holds back all sorts of supernatural nasties, south of them is the royal family who are a corrupt and nasty bunch with very few redeeming features and across the sea is an exiled girl who wants to come back and have her revenge on the people who kicked her out of her country.

It's a massive story, and it's beautifully written, but it isn't going to be finished for a while yet. It's a complex plot, but so well written that you won't get lost. The story races along and there really is never a dull moment. It's one of my favourite books. Definitely read it, but be prepared to be kept hanging on for the ending. :(

oh cool sounds good....not finished tho :| The book I got is like old a tattered!!!! How long will it take? What if the author dies heavan forbid but I'll never know the ending! :( not good, but I'll read ti you make it sound good,...and you're good with these thing Litany :)

Jessica089 said:
What if the author dies heavan forbid but I'll never know the ending!

I know someone else who's worrying about that. The author is a bit of a porker, so he's afraid he's going to have a heart attack before he finishes the series.

Anyhoo, there are three books out at the moment, the fourth book 'A Feast for Crows' is still being written, and then there are at least two more books waiting to be written.

This thread's going to have the fantasy readers coming out the woodwork!

The series is superb. No doubt about it. If I were Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind I would seriously consider improving my writing style because they hold nothing against this guy.

I do want to say though that his writing is replete with mature themes and some down-right grotesque images. Not that it's a bad thing, he's incredibly gifted at portraying these thoughts to paper, just thought I'd warn you about them.

I hope that this thread does not turn into a rant about the length between releases. I am quite sick to hear of the impatience of verdant 18 year olds who cry fowl because his books take a few years to get produced. Some even claim that they will never read him again as punishment! I'll quote the age-old saying, "Good things come to those who wait." Most people don't know, or care to, that there was about 18 years separating the first and last publications of the finest fantasy series ever made. Even longer if you count the material released post-mortem. There's literally millions of other sagas, novels and stories that you can read in the meantime and if you have that much time on your hands, you can always learn a new language and read the books over again in Aramaic . . .

His books are wonderful! I adore this series and read it over and over, since he is taking a little while to bring out number 4.

Check out his website ( www.georgerrmartin.com ) where he keeps an update as to his progress on the 4th book. There hasn't been a change in the update lately, which means he's still writing, but he has got a good bulk of the book finished.

I've no doubt that it'll be worth waiting for. This is without doubt my favourite fantasy series.

Jazzman said:
This thread's going to have the fantasy readers coming out the woodwork!

Oh that should be good, I'm yet to meet them all :)...I hope it does....so let's keep the discussione of this book alive :)

You all make it sounds so convincing!!! I don't want to sound like the impatient type....but It's scary to think he might die before he finish's the series.

Jazzman said:
I do want to say though that his writing is replete with mature themes and some down-right grotesque images. Not that it's a bad thing, he's incredibly gifted at portraying these thoughts to paper, just thought I'd warn you about them.

Grotesque images?? What sort are we talking about? :green: Worse than Orcs and killing guts and stuff????

I think once I finish the book I'm reading, which will take me forever as I don't have time with school and all, I will read it.

Anyway I hope this forum does get people out of the woodwork and fill me in a little more about the series and indeed the first book (A game of thrones)...cheers :D

Since Litany turned me onto this, I can't think of any books I've enjoyed more. I'm not very experienced in the genre, but I've yet to read anything that holds a candle to Mr Martin's series.

Do yourself a favor and get hooked like the rest of us. :D

RaVeN

part of what i find that is the most admirable about mr martin's writing style, is that he's not afraid of spending 250 pages getting you to know and care about a character, only to kill that character off.
by that same token, only 3 characters i can think of that are of the "anti-stark faction" are truly so horrible that martin has presented nothing nice about them. the rest of the antagonists, while being potrayed with their differing degrees of evil, (or in most cases not evil, just on the wrong side and mean) something good is portrayed.
the opposite is true of characters on the side of good, being shown to have baser traits to their personalities.
hey, wait a minute!
this all sounds suspiciously like real people!
what a concept ;)

btw, i'm personally pulling for Dany and Jon Snow....probably my two most favorite characters...(i think they should get hoked up at the end and everyone get their comeuppance,....just my humble opinion/2 cents :D )

MEYERTREE said:
btw, i'm personally pulling for Dany and Jon Snow....probably my two most favorite characters...(i think they should get hoked up at the end and everyone get their comeuppance,....just my humble opinion/2 cents :D )

I like Arya best. Swap that sword for a spork and she'd be pretty much perfect. :D

I still like Tyrion Lannister best. He's got the best lines and hangs with hookers all the time.

RaVeN

Okay....but I haven't read in a week and I never not finish a book so It'll take me a while to even start the book. I've had like Maths exam's and stuff so haven't been able to sit down comfortably and read. When I've finished though I'll talk to guys about it, in the mean time tell me more!

THe problem I have with reading series such as this is that I have a memory like a sieve. That's great with stand alone books because I can re-read them time and time again without knowing what happens at the end. With a series that is only intermittently published (such as Jordan or GRRRRR Martin) then as each new book becomes available I have to go back to Volume 1 and read them all again otherwise I have no idea what's going on. You should see the state of my 1st WOT book (and I got it in a secondhand shop to start with). I got all three Martin books at once so that was ok but by the time Book 4 is available I'll have to read them all again.
I'd tell you who my favourite character is if I could remember any of them.

Awww, I love that about ongoing fantasy series - the fact that it allows you to re-read without people thinking you're a bit mad :)

I have five ongoing series that I will re-read as each come out:

George RR Martin
Robert Jordan
Kelley Armstrong (Women of the Otherworld)
Laurell K Hamilton (Anita Blake and Merry Gentry series)
Terry Goodkind (although I've slacked a bit just lately on his books, and have stored up the latest three to read at once - hence saving me a couple of rereads!!)

Back