• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting to know each other... (It's feezzzzzing cold in here :( )

When did you become a book-lover?

• Total voters
honeydevil said:
sorry!! :eek: :(

it hits home for me too,

i think just because she was soo young she believed in "everything will be good"... i think i end this discussion here, i don't want to srew up this thread and i don't want to rub over the floor and make excuses for things i that happened when i was not even planned!! sorry bye :(

You have nothing to apologize for. :) Everyone's entitled to an opinion. The same book can be a pile of crap to you and a masterpiece to me, such is their nature. ^^

And she was young when she wrote it.. but there is also a level of maturity in what she's saying, despite her being somewhat naive. Even though she's so young, she's been through more than most people. That has to be taken into account.

Love4OneAnother said:
That has to be taken into account.
okay she gets credit for it!! no honestly... i think her personality is really good, she's strong, she's independent and she has a pretty good opinion to a lot of stuff!! i just don't like the book, i think it is mean, it was her PRIVAT diary, and now the whole world knows it!! anyway, some people like it, others don't!!
good night!! :D

Ok..... Ummm.....

SillyWabbit said:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaao! :) You are making it too personal. Her being German has nothing to do with her not liking the book...

honeydevil said:
don't you get me wrong, i did a project about holocaust and 3 weeks i sat in fron t of my computer and cried my fuckin' eye's out!!

honeydevil said:
thanks!!! but SHUT UP!! i'm thankful for your offense, but i waited for a thread like that, it was unavoidable!! don't make a big deal out of it!!

Wow... Umm... What I said didn't really come out the way I wanted it to...
You have to understand, being a Jew was considered unlawful, do you get it? Can you fathom not being legal, just because you are being youself?
Can you fathom being experimented like some no excuse for an animal?
That's not something that can be wiped-clean just like that...

I DON'T hate Germans, I really don't! But something ugly came out of the holocaust (other than the obvious) : Whenever we watch a basketball game on TV with Germans and Israelis on opposite sides, we really get... ummm how shall I put it - we are filled with (unjustified?) vengeance and sickness at the same time... Whenever something mutual goes on between the two countries it brings up media uproar by people who can't help it, people who are still sickened by it...
If that makes us racist, then... ummm... I don't know, maybe we are... We have the right to be (don't we?)

I have nothing against honeydevil and actually what she said was pretty sweet... I have nothing personal against her, not in the least bit... It's Germany and Europe that make me feel a little angry... Somehow I have the feeling Germany will always reek of anti-Semitism - it couldn't have been merely hit-ler (%^**#$@!!!) he could NOT have done that by himself... millions of already-ripe men and women had to help (and they did) so... I'm sorry, but deep inside it REALLLLLY still hurts....

As for honeydevil she obviously is a friend |heart|

No Jewish foul mouth can be judged after what the bastards did to us...

(For the record - editing any of it out just wouldn't be fair, you expressed what you felt you had to - I'm merely responding)

Ron.

myron, separating human beings into categories is what caused the final solution. in truth, there's no real difference between any of us.

MyRon said:
No Jewish foul mouth can be judged after what the bastards did to us...

Age/Gender : 23, Female.
Hobbies : Classical dance, music, PC games.

Books I like : Thrillers, mysteries, occasionally I read heavy books - non-fiction,(auto) biography.
A book that has touched me inside : To Kill A Mocking Bird!
A book that I dislike with passion : Any Sidney Sheldon novel. I dont know why I cant stand those books!
Number of books I have read : More than 100. Seriously, I have lost count.

I will take privelege to add a few more fields:

Person who has influenced me a lot when it come to reading books : My big brother. He has influenced me a lot in general also. The kind of books I read, the way I read, everything comes from him. Thank you brother :)

One book that I want to read, but just cant : Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand. Dont know why, but never could start this book.

One thing I hate about myself when it comes to books : If I borrow a book, I religously read it and return it. If I buy a book, I always find myself postponing reading it. Dont know why!

Love4OneAnother said:
:eek: I thought this was beautiful... "I still believe, in spite of everything, that people really are good at heart?" The kid was being persecuted and tormented by Nazis, but still could say that?

I loved Anne Frank. :rolleyes:
I loved Anne Frank too! I thought it was a great book! :)

@ MyRon

hey in a strange way, you are right!! we still have people they run around and point out heil.... these peoples opinions are ....(can't find a word, i wanted to use "stupid", but you can't judge peoples opinions, so i let it blank, find your own word what fits) and we try to fight against it!! it's not that easy, when i'm going through berlin, there come this big guys (sometimes with bomber jacket, doc martins and a beer) and i, 5 feet 6 inches high, get my ass ripped off, because i can't keep my mouth shut!! it's not fun to get a beer bottle over the head!! and it has nothing to do with germany it has something to do with poeple who have no sense of humality!!
i apologize for everything they do, but i can't change the past or your opinions and honestly, i don't even want to!! it's okay that you "hate" us!!
oh but one last thing, come to germany and see how the country changed, many people had to suffer, and even if it is over 50 years ago, we feel guilty!! not a nice feeling, and not a nice feeling to go to another country and somebody comes to you and says you're a nazi, when you just got doc martins in your spine!!
thanks, and sorry, that i talked you into that!! :) :(

myron and honeydevil,
an interesting book you both may like( or hate ) is stones from the river by ursula hegi. the protagonist is a dwarf named trudi? which is an interesting plot line on it's own, but it is set in a small german town during the rise of hitler. it shows the fear and terror of average german citizens who saw their friends and neighbours , husbands and wives being stolen away and their feeling of helplessness and despair. it's a remarkable book.
it was also an oprah book, so if that is something you might usually avoid, don't in this situation. :)

jenngorham said:
myron and honeydevil,
an interesting book you both may like( or hate ) is stones from the river by ursula hegi. the protagonist is a dwarf named trudi? which is an interesting plot line on it's own, but it is set in a small german town during the rise of hitler. it shows the fear and terror of average german citizens who saw their friends and neighbours , husbands and wives being stolen away and their feeling of helplessness and despair. it's a remarkable book.
it was also an oprah book, so if that is something you might usually avoid, don't in this situation. :)

hey thanks and good try, but we're not fighting we're just arguing, so don't be afraid, we won't kill each other!!
that with the dwarf sounds funny, i may try it!! :D

That's right...

honeydevil said:
hey thanks and good try, but we're not fighting we're just arguing, so don't be afraid, we won't kill each other!!
that with the dwarf sounds funny, i may try it!! :D

We are definitely not fighting... Just talking...
(Sending honeydevil [what's your real name?] a big hug!)

Thanks! :)

jenngorham said:
myron and honeydevil,

I'll check it out :) THANKS!

MyRon said:
We are definitely not fighting... Just talking...
(Sending honeydevil [what's your real name?] a big hug!)

hmm... i don't really like my name, so i guess i have to be rude and tell you that i don't give you my name!! sorry!! but thanks for the hug

Age/Gender : 32 (yikes!), Female.
Hobbies : Music, and, um, more music. Football, occasionally (watching, not playing!)

Books I like :
Short stories, contemporary fiction, some classics, Victorian history.
A book that has touched me inside : Murakami's "Norwegian Wood"
A book that I dislike with passion : Anything by Dan Brown.
Number of books I have read : Not as many as I'd like to have read. No idea how many, but it's lots.

The extra fields:

Person who has influenced me a lot when it come to reading books : A friend of mine who, just through his sheer enthusiasm about books, recently got me back into reading after not having picked up a book for various reasons for a long while.

One book that I want to read, but just cant : Brave New World. Had it on my shelves for ages, keep putting it off.

One thing I hate about myself when it comes to books : Getting distracted and moving onto something else, or losing concentration. Buying more than I can ever hope to read.

starchild42 said:
One thing I hate about myself when it comes to books : Getting distracted and moving onto something else, or losing concentration. Buying more than I can ever hope to read.

A hobby, by definition has to be something you like doing...
It sounds like you're forcing yourself to read...

?

Ron.

Ummm...

honeydevil said:
hmm... i don't really like my name, so i guess i have to be rude and tell you that i don't give you my name!! sorry!! but thanks for the hug

A person goes through life carrying his name in front of him like some sort of ID...
Seems to me a person who doesn't like his name (and always has to introduce him/herself by that name) HAS to change it...

MyRon said:
A hobby, by definition has to be something you like doing...
It sounds like you're forcing yourself to read...

?

Ron.

Hi Ron,

No, not at all - I love reading. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get through everything I want to, sadly.

MyRon said:
A person goes through life carrying his name in front of him like some sort of ID...
Seems to me a person who doesn't like his name (and always has to introduce him/herself by that name) HAS to change it...

forget it MyRon!! good try to get my name, but i don't like it!! but i like my nickname, so i go with a compromise and give you my nick!!
jo
there you go!! :p :D

Hey, I think this is a great idea! I'm new here too and I haven't met anybody yet.
Anyway, here are my answers
Personal info:
I am a 20 year old New YoRican female
as hobbies....besides reading(which is my favorite) I love to play video games, I love having a good time with friends and family also,learning, shopping, drawing, hmm.... I know there must be more...oh well
My favorite genre
historical fiction, mythology mystery but I try to read a little of everything

I can't seem to think of ONE particular book that has touched me but these are a couple of examples:
Madame Serpent- Jean Plaidy
Macbeth- Shakespeare
the book I'm reading now -Wicked -Gregory Maguire

books that I really disliked:
anything by Philippa Gregory
I really don't know how many books I've read...there's like 250 sitting on my bookshelves but that doesn't include library books or school books.....

sorry if there's any typos...I tried to correct any I saw but I'm typing with mittens on because I am freezing.

Back