• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting to know...

Alix

OK, I'm a newbie, so forgive me if I'm way out of line here. I'd like to get to know y'all a bit better. I thought maybe if I posted a few questions some of you would jump in and start answering. I'll start.

What do you do for a living?
What kind of reader are you?
Passionate about?
Pet Peeve?
Family and pets?

What do you do for a living? - I do a few things, I teach Introductory Writine at a local college and when I'm not there I work with youth in a couple of treatment facilities. I'm a therapist there.

What kind of reader are you? - I read for entertainment. If I learn something along the way that's a plus but I dislike reading things with an agenda.

Passionate about? - People in general. I love meeting people, getting to know them and figuring out what makes them tick.

Pet Peeve? - People talking on their cell phones in a restaurant.

Family and pets? - I have a wonderful husband and 2 great daughters (17 and 15). We are currently a one dog, two cat family but you never know when that could change. Murray is a 3 year old Golden Retriever who figures he is a lap cat, Toonces is a 19 year old Maine Coon cat, and Louie is a 17 year old black terror of a kitty.

Anyone else willing to jump in?

I'll play.

What do you do for a living? I'm a student, part-time postwoman delivering mail on Saturdays. Weekdays when I've no class.
What kind of reader are you? Well I'm an English lit. major so reading is very much part of my studies. When I'm not reading curricular stuff I tend to take a break after the semester ends to empty my head for a bit, or do some light reading. Having said that, it didn't work last year as I read Ulysses during my summer holidays. I like Modernist books because they are often multi-layered and re-reading a book s a pleasure because then I uncover new layers of the story. OK I'm rambling I think, I'll stop.
Passionate about? Horses, reading.
Pet Peeve? People in the bus with me, talking. That and people accosting me during my mail rounds telling me everything that went wrong during the week, which is when I don't generally work. I found my iPod to be a great solution for that.
Family and pets? Live with my parents. Three cats: 15, 14, and 9.

I'm also a newbie here...

What do you do for a living? I wear two different job hats. I'm a critical-care nurse working in an adult ICU trauma unit and an advocate/lobbyist for disability organisations in the realm of rights and resources for the disabled.

What kind of reader are you? I read for entertainment. In pursuit of furthering my interests/hobbies i.e. astronomy guides. I also like to read to keep myself informed, expand my knowledge and keep my mind active.

Passionate about? Life. And learning. I think life is fascinating. Difficult at many times, but that makes it more fascinating. There are always so many things to learn. No one and nothing can stop us from learning.

Pet Peeve? Intolerance laced with ignorance.

Family and pets? I'm a widow (of 9 years) and a mum/sole parent of three adult children; a daughter (20) and twin sons (18). The other member of our family is the furred one, Socrates, a 17 year old seal point Siamese cat.

What do you do for a living?
I work for the water department and supervise some people. I slap them upside the head sometimes and hug them other times. The slapping happens more often than the hugging though.

What kind of reader are you?
I read for entertainment and to learn. I can learn about places I've never been to by reading a book. I can read really fast when I actually have the time.

Passionate about?
Music. I co-own a website devoted solely to it. :whistling: I travel all over the country to see bands and fests and also write about it on a regular basis.

Pet Peeve?
People who eat with their mouth open.. and who talk at the same time too.

Family and pets?
I have a fairly small family. I have 1 grandmother still alive, 1 uncle, 2 aunts and 2 cousins. Two brothers... and that's it. My parents have two cats, Booboo and Billy Ray and two dogs, Savannah and Belle. The cats are a siamese and a grey tabby. The dogs are a blonde lab and a beagle. Billy Ray gets the squirt gun quite often. He's a little shit.

What do you do for a living? I do A LOT. I'm a full-time undergrad student in the Social Work program at Northeastern Illinois University. I also work two jobs, one is crap at minimum wage (I have to) and the other is working at a high school as a tutor for the underrepresented population.

What kind of reader are you? I read ALL THE TIME for school, and when I'm off, I do read for pleasure, but it's mostly non-fiction.

Passionate about? Oh for sure MUSIC. I love it and I can't go a day without it. I have tons of music in iTunes and more on an external hard drive. I have an iPod that stuffed with everything. My iPhone just has what I currently listen to and change it out all the time. I love seeing local original bands in small venues, but I also like seeing big name bands. I love taking my kids to concerts too. They are lucky.:whistling: I love discovering new bands. I'm into current alternative and listen to Alt Nation on XM.

Pet Peeve? Just one? Ok, I hate it when you're talking to someone who has really bad eye contact. Look! when you're in a conversation with me, you better be present.

Family and pets? I have 2 kids, one is a teenager which I just spent the better part of the evening nagging her to bring up her damn laundry, which I guarantee that she dropped it on her floor (Uncle, I give up!) Humph! The other kid is pretty good, he claims to be the "good kid"- today, I beg to differ...
I have one dog (Italian Greyhound named Vinny), he's really cute, but has annoyed me the past few days with his incessant barking at the back fence. I'm sure he thinks there's someone there with a steak. I have assured him there's no such person willing to give up a steak to a DOG in this economy.

What do you do for a living? Accounting

What kind of reader are you? Mystery and thrillers.

Passionate about? MMA, American Football, and college football

Pet Peeve? dumb peopl

Family and pets? wife and 2 boys and 1 cat

Getting to know

Hi Alix - I'm a retired legal secretary, married, 3 children, 4 grandchildren who live with their parents in the Arctic. Their dad is a schoolteacher, mom is a child welfare social worker - they live in the hamlet of Aklavik which is on the MacKenzie delta in the Northwest Territories, way up in the boonies in Canada.
I read mysteries, crime stories, thrillers, English detective novels, American writers like Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Lee Child, Nelson deMille - also like Tami Hoag, Val McDermid. I like music if it's lyrical, can't stand stuff with no tune.
Am passionate about nothing I can think of but put that down to advancing years.
Pet peeve - having to tidy up after other folks - am a bit of a neatnik living with a non-neatnick
Have one adult daughter living with us, she's great, and we have three dogs, one is a West Highland terrier belonging to our daughter, his name is Tavish - a Poodle Schnauzer mix called Charlie who is a little love sponge and a macho Australian Terrier called Geordie who would like to eat all day every day.

OK, I'll play.

What do you do for a living? Stuff with math.

What kind of reader are you? A slow one with eclectic tastes.

Passionate about? Stuff.

Pet Peeve? Many.

Family and pets?Yes.

What do you do for a living? Writer/copywriter/researcher.

What kind of reader are you? I read (almost) everything; I do have a fondness for supernatural and horror fiction, but like to read widely.

Passionate about? My wife, reading, books, literature, technology, writing (not necessarily creative).

Pet Peeve? Don't get me started, we'll be here all day.

Family and pets? Wife. no kids (yet). Currently sharing a dog and two persian cats. I love cats, dogs I can do without. Cats are awesome though. Such arrogance mixed with bouts of free-giving affection.

What do you do for a living? I work in local government.

What kind of reader are you? A passionate but slow one. I mostly read mysterys but I read other stuff too.

Passionate about? Books and reading. Tv series. The sun and the beach.

Pet Peeve? Too many to count.

Family and pets? No pets. No husband or boyfriend either but I do have a very large family (grand-uncles and great-aunts and cousins included).

1. I work in estate sales and purchasing

2. I am a careful (slow) reader and read just about anything, but very little non-fiction.

3. I love jokes, stand up comedy, and humor of all kinds. I love reading too. I am most passionate about raising my daughter

4. Pet Peeves = People who champion free thinking and then belittle people who don't share the same views about things.

5. A daughter and numerous brothers and sisters, cousins and etc...

Back