• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

golden compass

I haven't received an email; who is sending them?

A few groups.

Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights

An interesting explanation as to why it should be avoided.

Mormons to boycott

Another write-up as to why the movie should not be seen by christians.

From what I gather, it appears that the whole boycott thing is by splinter groups of political folks, and not orchestrated by recognized church leaders. It's one thing for conservative Catholics to be riled up, it's quite anotehr if it comes from the mouth of the Pope.

"All of the believers are shown to be cruel, horrible men who do things such as kidnap children and murder people," McCaffrey said. "They perform torture on a mass scale - all to keep everybody oppressed and under this fake God."

I thought it was supposed to be fiction. :confused:

You know, those links really make me want to read the books.

I now know what I'm going to do this weekend, I'm taking the family to the movie!. Mwhahahahahaha!:cool:

the reasoning behind the boycott is very flawed. Heck, I've found religious sources that say the movie is very spiritual and is not something that it's detractors say it is about. Even if it is an "atheist movie," the infidel and rapscallions of this world have to have one movie. How many religious themed movies and songs are out there right now? Someone please explain to me, how one movie represents a cultural tidal wave against all God fearing christians. :rolleyes:

Read the books.
Loved the books.
Watched the movie.
Loved the movie.
Great adaptation - true to the story.
Too bad it's not doing well at the box office.

Iv read the books and thought they were wonderful! The film was ok, seems like it was just a film to build you up to the 2nd one. Which i think will be even better. The wee actress was great! They just picked her from obscurity, so why cant the HP actors be as good as her!

gonna watch the movie soon

the film just opened in my country not long ago and i shall watch it soon... it's so sad that the ratings on imdb & metacritics are so low...

anyhow i just feel that close-minded people who are upset with and reacting so strongly to "his dark materials" are only proving philip pullman's point...

after reading the book, i, like some, sat & thought about it for very long... my simple brain had to digest what he has been trying to say and i think he is pure genius... no better way than to write like that to prove his point of view... reviews have been saying that the movie diluted the themes.. sigh...

I loved it....

There was so much hub bub about this movie and I just thought it was really good...

I thought it was more about free will and questioning those in power and less about the church...

all in all the cast was great and I am going to read these books for sure I have not had a chance to do that but they are on the top of my list...

I suppose that calls to boycott the movie are preferable to calls to ban it. I do think it's ironic that in a country that's so dominated by religion, people seem to be so scared of atheists.

I must admit to being disappointed by the movie. I think it lacked a lot of the atmosphere of the book, and I didn't like the early ending. I understand why they didn't want to end the movie where the book ended, but that was a very powerful ending and the way the movie ended was pure Hollywood. Considering the imagery in the book, the movie was probably as good as they could get it, but so much of that book is dependent on the reader's imagination.

Comparing a movie to the book it's based on is never fair. It's a different medium, with different demands and possibilities. However, I think it's interesting to look at what some stories - for instance, Pullman's book - do right, and others - for instance, this movie - fail to do.

The strength of any fantasy story, from the old fairytales to the newest SF space operas, depends on exactly that which the completely pointless voice-over at the start of The Golden Compass mentions but fails to do: the ability of the story to build an entire different world, yet one that we can relate to. When we watch Star Wars, we're on Tattooine; when we read Lord of the Rings, we're in Middle Earth; when we watch Buffy, we're in Sunnydale; when we read The Golden Compass, we're in... whatever we're supposed to call Lyra's world. Why is this important? Because if we don't know and accept the logic of that world (that people can use the Force, there are elves and dwarves and vampires, and people's souls walk around on their own) then the story is only so much smeerps and special effects. The trick isn't to make it seem extraordinary, but to make it seem natural; take us into that world, make us part of it, get to know who's who, THEN let the story unfold. That's where Philip Pullman succeeds - the opening of the book is rather excellent at that - and where the movie fails. Right from the opening monologue, it focuses on the weird elements (look! A world that's not ours! Look! Daemons! Look! Talking bears! Look! Airships!) as if the point were how different this world is rather than how much it's a slightly distorted version of our own. "Don't worry, it's just a fairytale."

That's one of the problems. Related to that is that they're so hellbent on squeezing in absolutely every detail (well, at least every detail that can be done with CGI rather than a good script) that the bigger picture gets lost in a rushed jumble of details, where we only know which ones are important because we are explicitly told they are. We're rushed from exposition to action to exposition to action without ever really getting to settle in and believe. Sure there are some good bits - the scenes between Scoresby and Iorek, for instance, which really are good - but for the most part, it feels like watching a bunch of actors and CGI experts. The story doesn't get told as much as summarized. Pullman in his first book wrote about, he wrote about, he wrote about, Pullman in his first book wrote about the - ooops, out of time.

Then, you have the way the stakes are lower. Pullman didn't shy away from horror, the feeling that Very Bad Things could happen to good people; the movie does. The bearfight is impressive, but where's the blood, where's the risk? We never once get the feeling that Iorek could actually lose, since the newly christened Ragnar is obviously a pompous and fat fool who poses no true danger. Poor Billy Costa is cold and alone, but surely he's OK after he's been reunited with his loving mother? That's the most horriffic scene of the book , but here it's castrated and wasted. And of course, the ending. Or rather, the lack thereof, which really only works if the audience is at the edge of their seats screaming "NOW what is going to happen? SEQUEL! NOW!" Which I for one am not; especially since the movie even goes to some length to have Lyra explain that everything's going to work out - it's as if they didn't know whether to give it a heartwarming reunion ending or a huge cliffhanger, and so did... neither. Why should we care what happens next? What's at stake here? Why? Where? To whom? The book ends on a huge shock that makes the reader re-evaluate pretty much the entire story. The movie doesn't end, it just stops.

Yes, it looks really good. The proper actors are excellent whenever they're given 10 seconds to actually do some work, the animals are astonishing, and the story isn't quite as dumbed down as I'd been lead to believe - there's still at least some of Pullman's philosophising in there, even if it's rushed past and made more of a plot point than the point of the entire story. But in the end, it's about as rewarding as watching a demo for a computer game; lots of flashy graphics, but since it doesn't have anything to do with me, I see no point in demanding to know what happens next. :star2:

Back