1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Goodkind Quotes

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi, Fantasy, & Horror Books' started by Zolipara, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    I decided to post a few more quotes from the Genious that is Goodkind. This time from his books.

On Chickens(From Soul of the Fire):
    Its hard to be a Sister of the Dark. (From Stone of Tears)
    On children and how teach them the error if their ways. (From Wizards first rule)
    On the noble goat (From Naked Empire)

2. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    I read Wizards First Rule, and I haven't picked up another fantasy book since.

I'll play along;

Corporal punishment is a pain in the butt (from Wizards First Rule):

3. KristoCat

KristoCat New Member

Currently Reading:
    Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Oh Gem, I hope your experience with Wizards First Rule hasn't ruined Fantasy for you forever!!:eek:

I like the genre very much overall and I was quite disappointed with Goodkind. I won't be picking up another book by him at all. I know lots of people like him a lot but he just isn't for me.

4. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    It didnt mean to scare anyone from reading fantasy, but i just think he is funny. He claims his books are about "the noble human spirit", yet his perfect hero kicks in the teeth of a 8 year old girl and cuts off her tongue in the process. The perfect father.

5. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    It wasn't you, it was Goodkind.:D

Probably not forever, i'll find my way back to it i'm sure. Any recommendations for a good stand alone Fantasy? :)

6. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    He does seem to have that effect on a lot of people. I find the whole Goodkind phenomenon very amusing. As you can see from his writing and from his comments in various interviews he is truly one of a kind. One of the most interesting things about this author is that he and his cultlike fans from the official forums is his own worst enemy. His official fan forum is so legendary that a bunch of people made another forum as a parody of it.

I'll leave you with another example of his Genious.

7. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    You've made me want to go and check out his fan forum.

:D

:D :D :D

8. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    If you think these quotes are amusing you might also like the quotes i posted from a legendary Goodkind interview: http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7776.

The interview has later been deleted from the official site for obvious reasons, and the admin of his site does his best to deny the existence of this interview. Alternatively when confronted with the google cache of the site (containing the interview), he does his best to defend it.

9. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    I hadn't realised they were meant to be comedy books - wrong of the bookstores to place them under the Fantasy section. Perhaps they should be placed under the Fantasy/Not really Fantasy/Oh Wait, actually it is Fantasy Section.:rolleyes:

I've just been lurking over at the 'Official' site, and boy those fans sure do take their Goodkind seriously.

Fan 1 asks:
    Fan 2 replies:
    So um is the plant real? Fan 1 if you ever grace us with your presence then please note that the plant is fictional. Fan 2 just plain cracked me up.

I really musn't laugh so much.

10. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    Zolipara what have you started? I can't stay away from the Official Site.
    here is another little gem:

:D :D

11. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    I'm sorry but if its any comfort i'm also afflicted by that particular disease.

To keep you interested I found another little gem for you.

12. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    Should of told me it was contagious :D

The thread on how the two lead characters in Wizards First Rule might be able to get together is hilarious:

That is funny on so many different levels. Either that or i'm just immature.:D

13. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    Yes it is highly contagious and unfortunately there is no known cure.

The admin of those forums will delete any post that is even slightly critical of Goodkinds writing(and i suspect ban the user posting it). So there is noone keeping the cultlike worshipping of the author in check. The result is a pretty unique group of fans.

The forum made as a parody of the official forums can be found here

14. KristoCat

KristoCat New Member

Currently Reading:
    Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Yikes. IMHO, fantasy is best enjoyed in series form. I quite enjoyed Wicked by Gregory Maguire and Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King, but I'm not sure if either author would be compatible with your tastes. Those are the only stand-alone fantasies I can remember enjoying.

15. Shade

Shade New Member

Currently Reading:
    Miss Herbert, Adam Thirlwell
    Zolipara, this is brilliant stuff! Is this representative, or have you chosen the worst of the worst? I've only vaguely heard of Goodkind before, but now I am a committed fan! Well, if I'm a fan of his I should be committed... Could he be the worst writer in the world??

16. Gem

Gem kickbox

Currently Reading:
    A Book.
    Thank you for the suggestions, i'll add them to my list.A Fantasy series requires quite a bit of commitment but i'll get around to it sometime. As for taste, i like a little bit of everything.

What do you mean worst? He is the best comedy writer out there. :D

Zolipara thanks for the link, how many actual Goodkind fans do you think stumble in there and post away without realising the true nature of the forum?

17. Zolipara

Zolipara New Member

Currently Reading:
    Stuff
    Well i must say that "the chicken that is not a chicken" is one of the best examples i have seen, but its all fairly representative. The books are for one thing full of SM sex, detailed torture scenes, rape, leather clad ladies and barbed phalluses(if i remember right there is a scene where the girlfriend of the hero mindcontrols a enemy and forces him to eat his own balls). In addition to this there is ofcourse some of the cheesiest scenes i've ever seen (like the goat quote), and endless monologues where he hammers in his "deep philosophical message" that commies are bad.

Goodkind is as far as i know dyslexic and has said in interviews that he refuses to listen to his editor. So you if look a little closer at the text you also find a lot of examples like this:
    The scary part is that he is actually very popular and is frequently on the bestseller list.

18. direstraits

direstraits Well-Known Member

Hey I have Wizards and Stone of Tear and I don't remember those hilarious scenes. I have a vague collection at least of the Sister of the Dark ritual, but Violet? That scene must have been so traumatic for me that my unconscious self erased the memory of it to save me. I do love your take, Zolipara: "On children and how to show them the error of their ways". :D

I do know I'll holler out loud if I actually read the chicken bit, but thank goodness I stopped at SoT.

You seem to be obsessed with him, Z. Did you read all his books?

ds

19. direstraits

direstraits Well-Known Member

Yes, this happened. In Wizard's First Rule. To the guy who tried to rape her.

ds

20. Shade

Shade New Member

Currently Reading:
    Miss Herbert, Adam Thirlwell
    I love the way the Amazon link at the top of the page is (at time of writing) recommending Terry Goodkind books...