• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Goodkind Quotes

Stewart said:
And who is Mystar?

He claims to be a personal friend of Goodkind (and I have no reason to doubt that), but he's one of the most extreme Goodkind fans there are. If he turns up, don't expect rational argument. His comments almost equal Goodkind's, eg "90% of Europeans want to live in America".

That poll is worrying - but for the Goodkind official forums, he got a much lower level of support than I would expect I thought it would have been a two horse race between Goodkind and Ayn Rand.

The comments are wrong about Bono - he clearly doesn't know that Bono has played a crucial role in raising awareness of the problems of developing countries, has spearheaded the RED movement which aims to combat AIDS in Africa and he clearly as a far more legitimate role on that list than Goodkind. Why is King Arthur on that list? Was he really, really stuck for heroes? King Arthur may have existed, but even that's questionable, and there's very little evidence he did anything deserving of the title "hero".

This is classic, from a post on the second page of the thread: "why is Terry at the bottom of the list?"

I've seen the discussion - up to Mystar's usual standards. I'll never forget "SHOW ME THE CONTRAVSRY". He's arguing an absolutely idiotic position (there is no controversy about Goodkind - completely different matter to whether Goodkind's a good author), while the others are being entirely reasonable.

I haven't been on this thread before, but now am so glad that I checked it out. Reading through it was absolutely hilarious.

This extract from thw Wikipedia discussion showing Mystar's debating skills was classic:

Also, when his novels were accused of being a bit "too preachy" by a fan during the same chat, Goodkind explained to those present who had criticized his writing style with such harsh criticism of the base philosophy and the moral and ethical values contained within the series, saying that they were not fans, and that they hated that his novels existed. He also claimed "their goal is not to enjoy life, but to destroy that which is good... These people hate what is good because it is good." We have seen the full effect and thuth of this fact by the attacks against the values with in the series, against the moral and ethicial set the characters uphold.

With these comments and several others, Goodkind effectively drew a line in the sand, implying that you were either with him or against him....."

------------------------

You show your true color when you use such harsh and verbal abuse as crazy and nut case. While you may not like Goodkind or his works, lowering yourself to bring your dislike to a personal low by such an action. You have blatantly misinturpited the interview and Terry's words that is the offense. You are, as you said you would do on your website Malazan Forums, write up something devious to stir up things a bit. While you may well think Goodkind is saying something, you are taking it out of context and making his words fit your scenario. I am a good friend of Goodkind's and I can assure you that the only controversy is in your head. You have no right to try and make Wikipedia your soapbox simply because you don't like Goodkind. Mystar 11:52, 21 June 2006 (UTC)

Whatever their motivations, the links seem to be genuine. I don't really care how wonderful a friend he is to you: he actually said the things he is quoted as saying. Alienus 03:11, 5 April 2006 (UTC)

While the links are genuine, the supposed "controversy" is not. It is simply something someone is using as a basis simply because they do not care for Goodkind and wish to place him in a negative light based on their POV. It is very interesting AND telling that this poster of the controversy post singles out a specific item and twists it to use as a pejorative attempting to make Goodkind look inflammatory. Any book ever written is in some part a philosophical opinion or view of the author, so if you find a book not to your liking, don't read it, or stop reading it. I have more of a problem with the fact that this sad individual chooses to state a fact that he CANNOT back, that being "Recently Goodkind has come under fire from critics and fans alike for comments he made about his work". Oddly enough he cannot provide any verification for this boast. mystar1959

What an idiot! My favourite line had to be "You show your true color when you use such harsh and verbal abuse as crazy and nut case." Since when was claiming a book was a bit over-preachy "harsh and verbal abuse"? The guy was even a self-proclaimed fan!

Okay loved this whole thread; the chicken thing, the TG's fans wacked posts. Like the one guy "...... I mean, I carry a list of the wizards rules around ... and think about when I could use them and how they apply to a given situation... "and the other warped people that post there that most likely need therapy more than I do.

Great comments and great fun but come on now, WFR was a good book. It had a lot of heart. Terry Goodkind is a best seller because he is a good writer and he wrote well built novels. I write; it ain easy kids. If you think you got what it takes and can do better in this market go to Tor and ask for 250000 on spec .... good luck. Otherwise you guys are just lillies o' the field with anger issues. Which is fine and sometimes funny but Z you are seemingly on a mission to take down TG which you cant so I guess you are just ranting. Taking a few lines from a few dark passages in 12 long novels and holding them up out of context and pointing out "how bizarre" is funny but cheap. I am sure if I took something you did or said in your lifetime out of context and held it up for all to see we might all have another good laugh!:)

Well for the record TG's got millions of fans and Z has 4? including me 5 ?:) I think you need to go to the public library and check out Wizard's First Rule and give it a chance. The first few were worth reading.

Now what you've done there, marxlaws, is confuse popular with good. They have no automatic correlation. For all we know people buy TG novels because they're cheaper per sheet than Andrex.

And you've also fallen into the trap - so easy! - of believing that criticism is not valid unless the critic can succeed in the same field. "If you think you got what it takes and can do better in this market" - what, the market for poorly written fantasy crap?

marxlaws said:
Taking a few lines from a few dark passages in 12 long novels...

I'm sure Zolipara could find many more. Or to turn the question around, can a kindly Goodkind fan post an extract of TG's prose which is impressive and well-written? That might allay doubts about his ability.

marxlaws said:
Z you are seemingly on a mission to take down TG which you cant so I guess you are just ranting.

Or it could be that he's just depressed and angry that such a bad writer has such success when there are so many better writers out there not doing so well. If you scan through Zolipara's past posts you'll see he is an intelligent reader of taste and discernment. I'd trust his views over many others. Just as good writing should always be flagged up and celebrated loudly, so should bad writing be denounced so clearly than everyone can hear.

marxlaws said:
Otherwise you guys are just lillies o' the field with anger issues. Which is fine and sometimes funny but Z you are seemingly on a mission to take down TG which you cant so I guess you are just ranting.

I'm not on a mission to take down TG, he does that himself. He seems to think he is a literary genious, something he clearly isnt.

Taking a few lines from a few dark passages in 12 long novels and holding them up out of context and pointing out "how bizarre" is funny but cheap. I am sure if I took something you did or said in your lifetime out of context and held it up for all to see we might all have another good laugh!:)

Reading the whole books does not put TG in any better light. If anything your view of his writing skills will most likely sink even deeper if you actually read a whole book. Then you will see that the quotes isnt really just isolated incidents, although they are not usually as extreme as the evil chicken.

Well for the record TG's got millions of fans and Z has 4?
Many fans does not mean its quality.

marxlaws said:
I am sure if I took something you did or said in your lifetime out of context and held it up for all to see we might all have another good laugh!
Of course we would have a good laugh, I don't discriminate - I laugh at everything ;).

I think you need to go to the public library and check out Wizard's First Rule and give it a chance.
I did, actually I bought it, and now it sits on my shelf as a reminder not to buy any more Goodkind books.
I appreciate that you liked it, but I didn't because a) it was full of ridiculous scenes b)it was completely unbelievable (yes it's fantasy but a good Fantasy book engages you to such an extent that you lose yourself in the fictional world). Plus, I believe Zoli has already done an excellent job in showcasing the ahem..unique writing.

Plus, I believe Zoli has already done an excellent job in showcasing the ahem..unique writing.
LOL. Yes he did.

It is just so hard to write one good book. Goodkind has wrote several.You got to give the guy a bye.

And he has real story problems. The first time he split Richy and Kal it was heartbreaking the second was kind of forced and if I read they got separated one more time I was going to send him some new plotlines tied to a brick.
So yeah I quit after a while. But he created a believable world, with real evil bastards in them. I know it's old tacos now but I am getting tired of cookie cutter heros and villians. It was a nice change. I say that then I remember back when I was 12 yrs old and I bought 20 or so of the GOR books at this garage sale. Slow summer and nothing to read but GOR. It took years to get over that trauma. That is my biggest beef with TG he is starting to sound a lot like John Norman.:)

HOUSEPLANTS OF GOR

The spider plant cringed as its owner brought forth the watering can. "I am a spider plant!" it cried indignantly. "How dare you water me before my time! Guards!" it called. "Guards!"

Borin, its owner, placed the watering can on the table and looked at it. "You will be watered," he said.

"You do not dare to water me!" laughed the plant.

"You will be watered," said Borin.

"Do not water me!" wept the plant.

"You will be watered," said Borin.

I watched this exchange. Truly, I believed the plant would be watered. It was plant, and on Gor it had no rights. Perhaps on Earth, in its permissive society, which distorts the true roles of all beings, which forces both plant and waterer to go unhappy and constrained, which forbids the fulfillment of owner and houseplant, such might not happen. Perhaps there, it would not be watered. But it was on Gor now, and would undoubtedly feel its true place, that of houseplant. It was plant. It would be watered at will. Such is the way with plants.

Borin picked up the watering can, and muchly watered the plant. The plant cried out. "No, Master! Do not water me!" The master continued to water the plant. "Please, Master," begged the plant, "do not water me!" The master continued to water the plant. It was plant. It could be watered at will.

The plant sobbed muchly as Borin laid down the watering can. It was not pleased. Too, it was wet. But this did not matter. It was plant.

"You have been well watered," said Borin.

"Yes," said the plant, "I have been well watered." Of course, it could be watered by its master at will.

"I have watered you well," said Borin.

"Yes, master," said the plant. "You have watered your plant well. I am plant, and as such I should be watered by my master."

The cactus plant next to the spider plant shuddered. It attempted to cover its small form with its small arms and small needles. "I am plant," it said wonderingly. "I am of Earth, but for the first time, I feel myself truly plantlike. On Earth, I w as able to control my watering. I often scorned those who would water me. But they were weak, and did not see my scorn for what it was, the weak attempt of a small plant to protect itself. Not one of the weak Earth waterers would dare to water a plant if it did not wish it. But on Gor," it shuddered, "on Gor it is different. Here, those who wish to water will water their plants as they wish. But strangely, I feel myself most plantlike when I am at the mercy of a strong Gorean master, who may water me as he pleases."

"I will now water you," said Borin, the cactus's Gorean master.

The cactus did not resist being watered. Perhaps it was realizing that such watering was its master's to control. Too, perhaps it knew that this master was far superior to those of Earth, who would not water it if it did not wish to be watered.

The cactus's watering had been finished. The spider plant looked at it.

"I have been well watered," it said.

"I, too, have been well watered," said the cactus.

"My master has watered me well," said the spider plant.

"My master, too, has watered me well," said the cactus.

"I am to be placed in a hanging basket on the porch," said the spider plant.

"I, too, am to be placed in a hnaging basket on the porch," said the cactus.

"I wish you well," said the spider plant.

"I, too, wish you well," said the cactus.

"Tal," said the spider plant.

"Tal, too," said the cactus.

I did not think that the spider plant would object to being watered by its master again. For it realized that it was plant, and that here, unlike on Earth, it was likely to be owned and watered by many masters.

marxlaws said:
HOUSEPLANTS OF GOR

:D :D Absolutely hilarious! I've never read any of the Gor books, but I've heard quite a lot about them, and I think this is pretty much spot on.

Back