• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greetings from Iceland

Icy

Hello everyone,
another newbie here. I live in Iceland, am a translator by trade and love reading.

I am a literary omnivore, although I like some genres better than others. I go through phases in my reading and right now I'm on a mystery and detective story spree, but in-between mysteries I read fantasy, travel books and just about else anything I think looks interesting.

I'm looking forward to discussing books with the other members of this board.

Welcome aboard!

"Literary omnivore" I like that description.

Is it true what they say about Icelanders?

1. No surnames.

2. The women are extraordinarily beautiful. Something about the water I think.

1. If by surnames you mean family names, they are rare. We mostly use patronymics, and matronymics are becoming more common.

2. Couldn't say. Don't like to brag ;)

All I know is that I want a cool Icelandic name with all those cool extra characters I don't see on my keyboard.

American Series

I am a literary omnivore, although I like some genres better than others. I go through phases in my reading and right now I'm on a mystery and detective story spree, but in-between mysteries I read fantasy, travel books and just about else anything I think looks interesting.

Welcome. I too am omnivorous and have always wanted to visit Iceland. I went to your blogspot and admired your list of authors, with the classics Sayers, James, Tey. Among American mystery/detective series, have you looked at

Nevada Barr - ranger Anna Pigeon, set in various national parks
Tony Hillerman - Navajo police Jim Chee and Capt. Leaphorn, set in the magnificent southwest
Sarah Paretsky - female private eye, set mostly in Chicago

and, for fantasy, anything by Ursula LeGuin.

Welcome to the board! Reykjavik is a name that frustrated many a geography student of mine.:D Do you like historical fiction by chance?:)

OKay, now you're here: explain Halldor Laxness to us. Well, me.

Tough call. I'm not really an expert on Laxness. As an Icelander I am proud of his accomplishments, but I don't like the way he writes female characters. Independent People is considered his masterpiece, but I like Iceland's Bell and The Fish Can Sing better.

All I know is that I want a cool Icelandic name with all those cool extra characters I don't see on my keyboard.

You mean Þ, ð, æ, etc? You can find them by holding down the Alt key and trying three-digit numbers on your keypad.

Welcome. I too am omnivorous and have always wanted to visit Iceland. I went to your blogspot and admired your list of authors, with the classics Sayers, James, Tey. Among American mystery/detective series, have you looked at

Nevada Barr - ranger Anna Pigeon, set in various national parks
Tony Hillerman - Navajo police Jim Chee and Capt. Leaphorn, set in the magnificent southwest
Sarah Paretsky - female private eye, set mostly in Chicago

and, for fantasy, anything by Ursula LeGuin.

Thank you. Barr, Hillerman and Paretsky are all on my to be read list.

Góðan daginn, Icy!

Thanks to you and Stewart for reminding me to haul my ass to the library and finally sit down with some Laxness!

Back