• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Guide To Understanding Islam

From my reading, it is a topic well worth coming to terms with. First, for the obvious reason that Islam seems to be on the march these days (if it hasn't always). Second, there is considerable diversity in western commentators' views on just how militant or tolerant it is regarding Western society, cultures and religions. Third, because there seems to be a tendency -- intentional or not, I can't say -- to downplay, or not even mention, the role of Islam in much of the disturbance, turmoil and slaughter that makes the front page news these days. So that's a definite topic for the mature forum, and I wish you all luck with it if it isn't already there. :flowers:

LOL-I meant to reply to someone who made a thread titled "A history of Islam" and now I see that it is under here. Did I hit the wrong button?:lol:

LOL-I meant to reply to someone who made a thread titled "A history of Islam" and now I see that it is under here. Did I hit the wrong button?:lol:

Scott, Scott, Scott..been inhaling all that corn pollen again, I see:whistling:
:lol:

Yeah, someone posted a link to "ziddu.com" and recommended that our good members click on the site. It's a free source site where you can get videos and the like, but the malaware and other junk isn't worth it. I became very disgusted and made my post...promptly as a new thread elsewhere.:whistling:

I don't know about corn pollen-but I do have allergies.

Yeah, someone posted a link to "ziddu.com" and recommended that our good members click on the site. It's a free source site where you can get videos and the like, but the malaware and other junk isn't worth it. I became very disgusted and made my post...promptly as a new thread elsewhere.:whistling:

I don't know about corn pollen-but I do have allergies.

When I saw the original thread and the link, I couldn't figure out what one had to do with the other...I thought it was just me:lol:

I hear ya on the allergy thing. Sneezing, blurry eyes, and headaches are just traditional for this time of year...

The spammers must be hiring people to log in on forums and leave messages, how else could they get past the "type the following letters" test that even ordinary humans can't pass?

I understand there is a killer deal on Air Jordans going on in another thread.:D

I googled the links here and got some interesting results.

How dangerous is ziddu.com? - Yahoo! Answers

Also, a history of Islam should go in the non-fiction section, not historical fiction.

I don't know where you were going with this thread,if anywhere,lol,but I am interested in this subject on Islam.I did not find a thread *history of Islam* BUT I found one thread very interesting that came up on a movie called Private Ryan that entertained me for a while.:whistling:

From my reading, it is a topic well worth coming to terms with. First, for the obvious reason that Islam seems to be on the march these days (if it hasn't always). Second, there is considerable diversity in western commentators' views on just how militant or tolerant it is regarding Western society, cultures and religions. Third, because there seems to be a tendency -- intentional or not, I can't say -- to downplay, or not even mention, the role of Islam in much of the disturbance, turmoil and slaughter that makes the front page news these days. So that's a definite topic for the mature forum, and I wish you all luck with it if it isn't already there. :flowers:

Isn't sending this to Mature section another way of downplaying the subject?

Isn't sending this to Mature section another way of downplaying the subject?

Not in my mind when I said that. I thought it was actually a good way to put it in a place where the subject could be fully ventilated among mature people who could quote accurately. :cool:

Not in my mind when I said that. I thought it was actually a good way to put it in a place where the subject could be fully ventilated among mature people who could quote accurately. :cool:

I don't read minds Peder,wish I could,but did I misquote you?

Third, because there seems to be a tendency -- intentional or not, I can't say -- to downplay, or not even mention, the role of Islam in much of the disturbance, turmoil and slaughter that makes the front page news these days.
I wasn't going to but since you did comment on it first...

All of Islam is not the cause of the disturbance, turmoil and slaughter that makes the front page news these days.That is what I mean about a subject such as understanding Islam.We tend to categorize all people as a whole when there are difference of beliefs and extremes as in any culture or religion.

:rolleyes: I shouldn't have expected anything different ,making a comment and backing up as always.

Thanks for the suggestion,but I don't think it's a subject that should be moved imo,and I think you would know me by now as to tell me what to do Peder.

Anyhow,anyone have any reading recommendations on this subject,they would be appreciated.

For a historical background, Karen Armstrong's Islam - A Short History isn't bad. Even though it might be a little too short.

:rolleyes: I shouldn't have expected anything different ,making a comment and backing up as always.

Libra, after a remark like that from you, I think I am entitled to observe without penalty that you are snide in the extreme.

Take your attitude elsewhere please.

Or at least stick to diiscussing the topic and not attacking people.

Libra, after a remark like that from you, I think I am entitled to observe without penalty that you are snide in the extreme.

Take your attitude elsewhere please.

Or at least stick to diiscussing the topic and not attacking people.

Peder,I suggest you check your first post in this thread ,I did stick to discussing the topic but you kept sending me elsewhere.

For a historical background, Karen Armstrong's Islam - A Short History isn't bad. Even though it might be a little too short.

Thanks beergood,a search on this title brought up some more interesting reads.The past weekend I saw Amanpour-Generation Islam,it was very good,different perpectives ,how poverty plays a role and how through education they are trying to help the young people from an early age to grow up and have choices and hopefully raise a different generation.

There was also a segment on Greg Mortenson,the author of Three Cups of Tea which definitely made me order the book.

Back