• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gun Control

Most of you in the United States have probably already heard of what happened yesterday. A depressed 20 year old went to a shopping mall in Omaha and opened fire with an SKS assault rifle. He killed eight people and then turned the gun on himself. You can read about it here.:( A lot of folks are really shocked about this and are just shaking their heads.

I have to tell you, I was doing some heavy praying yesterday evening...hoping you and yours were safely stuck at work or changing diapers, or bathing the cat, or... Glad you're ok!

I wonder if he hadn't had access to a gun, would he have stolen a car and tried to kill as many pedestrians outside the mall as possible? Then maybe have crashed into a brick wall as a suicide method? If the intent is there, it seems a mentally unstable person with homocidal and suicidal intentions will find a method of delivery.

I don't believe that any private citizen needs a warrior's assault weapon intended to kill a pervasive enemy, but I firmly believe a private citizen should have the legal right to own a gun for sporting and self-defense purposes.

Looks like he had some mental health services in the past. :rolleyes: I'm not so much against guns, as I am about allowing people like this into the community under the guise of "community based" treatment.

I wonder if he hadn't had access to a gun...

I wonder, if the media treated situations like this a little differently would he have not sought "fame" through the murder of many?

Might he have simply killed himself, and not tried to take as many innocent lives as possible just to make international headlines?

Is the media attention as much, or more to blame than the weapon of choice?

So it's all the newpapers' fault that people commit mass murder?

If they stopped reporting the news, madmen would stay home and watch telly instead?

So it's all the newpapers' fault that people commit mass murder?

If they stopped reporting the news, madmen would stay home and watch telly instead?

No. Not what I said at all.

But the media, in this case did play a role.

The kid stated that he was specifically seeking fame.

He intended to commit suicide, and in seeking fame decided to head to a crowded shopping mall and take out as many people as possible.

In other countries they strap bombs onto themselves for a different kind of fame. And 72 virgins.

Twisting the point once again. :p

The point is, the weapon of choice does not have to be a gun.
Which is quite related to this thread.

And, that suicidal individuals who wish to take out large numbers of innocent people don't need to grab AK47's.

And, that the method of acquiring fame plays into the scenario. Massive media exposure across the globe, potential Hollywood movie, and/or 72 virgins along with martyrdom are all ways of "inspiring" people to do horrible things for the wrong reasons.

And, that the method of acquiring fame plays into the scenario. Massive media exposure across the globe, potential Hollywood movie, and/or 72 virgins along with martyrdom are all ways of "inspiring" people to do horrible things for the wrong reasons.

And, unless we assume heaven with 72 virgins really exists, this gun nutter already achieved more of his wishes than the average Muslim suicide bomber.

Back