• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hallowe'en 2004

Jenem

kickbox
So, has anyone started thinking about this yet? Do you dress up? Do you give out candy? What was your best costume ever? What was your scariest costume ever? What do you want to go as but never bother with the work it takes on the costume?

As you can see, I'm a big Hallowe'en fan :D My in-laws (all Brits living in Canada) say that Hallowe'en is not really celebrated over the pond. True? Instead, Guy Fawkes Day is the big party.

I should probably post my answers!

Do you give out candy? generally give out candy to the little guys who come out. We have Jehovah's on both sides of our house so they keep the lights out and that can make kids skip our house, too. I love to see the little costumes though. So cute!

What was your best costume ever? Probably Medusa, the year before last. I had a golden snake headpiece that weighed a tonne.

What was your scariest costume ever? (Stephen King's) Carrie, last year. I freaked everyone out, especially my husband.

What do you want to go as but never bother with the work it takes on the costume? Nefertiti - someday I'll bother to make the headpiece

Love to dress up, even just to go out with a couple of people and hang around. Best to go to costume parties!!

Some things I have been:

A big baby in a giant diaper and tee-shirt, with a baby bottle full of bad stuff. :D

One of a pair of Cinderella's sisters. Very elaborate make up with a powdered wig and huge blue taffeta skirt. Wound up hanging out with a lame Darth Vader and a big chain-smoking white rabbit all night.

Giant beaked bird covered with feathers and with yellow rubber gloves on feet. That year I was with Jackie O and Gorbachev (remember head stain?)

Minnie Mouse. I happened to have the perfect shoes and skirt that year. Hung out with a Zulu warrior and a manic dentist.

When my kid was a bald baby, I dressed him in an orange blanket and gave him a begging bowl. He was "Harry Krishna." Three cheers for kidsploitation!

Two friends of mine had a great one--she was Sonny and he was Cher.

To be Queen Elizabeth I, my sister shaved her hairline one year. She was so good she won the first prize in Greenwich Village. That's dedication. Another year she was Glinda, the Good Witch of the North.

For a few years in a row, my brother put on my mom's floorlength slinky black evening gown and went to Houdini's grave. I think the dress is too snug now, but the cemetary is still happening.

What are you gonna be Jenem?

HOLY SMOKES Novella! Fantastic costumes!! This year I was all set to actually go as Nefertiti. My husband decided he wanted to do a couples thing. We thought about going as Sonny and Cher, but it wasn't morbid enough for him. So I suggested Herman and Lily Munster or Morticia and Gomez Addams, but he didn't like those ideas. He wants to go as a grotesque zombie. So, I figured we will do the monster couple thing and I will go as a vampire. YAWN. So I picked up Butterick pattern 4315 and figure I may go as Elizabeth Bathory. Though I'll probably have to explain to everyone who she was - but I trust everyone on here knows. May be easier to just wear fangs. Or maybe I'll stick an eyeball to my cheek and a throat slash and just go as an oldschool zombie.

I take this way too seriously

What are you going as this year?

• Do you give out candy?
    No.
  • What was your best costume ever?
    A Geisha. I had an authentic six piece kimono imported from Japan, a wig, and my face painted.

Hallowe'en is not really celebrated over the pond. True?
Kids go round doors. People dress up. Hallowe'en parties everywhere.

Instead, Guy Fawkes Day is the big party.
Strangely, Catholics take part in this.

They do halloween a lot more up your way, Abu. My little Glaswegian mate was most distraught when she found out how we couldn't give two hoots about it. I very rarely do anything for halloween - I once carved a face in a pumpkin.

Guy Fawkes - Bonfire night - suppose that is celebrated a bit more, but isn't it just an excuse for all the pyromaniacs to play out and not get told off? I've not even been to a bonfire for years. My life sucks :(

I am the dark Mistress of Halloween. I have to take the day off work in order to transform the front yard into a graveyard (fortunately, every year I remember where I buried the bodies). Since my little one was born I've had to tone down the gore factor and go more for humor, but it's still a hoot. Yes, I'm more than willing to terrify other people's kids, but not my own. The whole neighborhood comes out to visit while the little one and I entertain the trick or treaters.

My most elaborate costume was The Phantom of the Opera, because I had to completely disguise the fact that I'm female and create an elaborate and very grusome make-up job beneath the mask that wouldn't come off with the mask. About three weeks' worth of experimentation before I finally accomplished it.

My simplest but most effective costume was an old witch covered in cob webs. I'd sit very still when trick or treaters approached so they couldn't be sure if I was person or a prop and then I'd let go with my best evil cackle.

Over the years I've dressed as Elvira Mistress of the Dark, Elvis' Mother, I have a fantastic grim reaper outfit, as well as cats, Tigger, vampires, the evil fairy from "Sleeping Beauty," and endless variety of zombies that died various horrifying deaths, and of course, for Halloween 1999, I was the Y2K Bug, complete with six legs and antenae.

My daughter and I like to coordinate our costumes, so I'm still undecided this year. She's leaning toward witch, but that is subject to change without notice several times between now and the big day.

Irene Wilde

My best costume was a Geisha. I made a kimono myself, did my hair up all nice and pretty and painted my face. I even tried eating with chopsticks all day long. That wasn't so successful though. :rolleyes:

Sadly, no photos exist of that costume. That was many years ago when I was just a poor Mistress of Halloween and couldn't afford a camera.

Irene Wilde

I love, love, love to dress up. Last year I went as a mechanic, the theory being that you should always go as something you'll never be in real life. It turned out very well as all the pieces of the costume have proved useful in my everyday wardrobe. And all my wrenchhead friends thought it was a hoot.

This year I think I'm going as a cheerleader. Boring, but I'll be able to use an old uniform from high school (hopefully) and prove I haven't gotten all fat (if it works), so it'll be a great ego boost. And no, I wasn't a cheerleader in high school, I was actually a twirler, we just had similar pep rally uniforms.

I also went to a Witches' Ball last year, which was unfortunately lame but did get to dress up - the theme was one of the seven deadly sins, so I went as anger, all in red, including tons of red glitter.

Jenem said:
So, has anyone started thinking about this yet? Do you dress up? Do you give out candy? What was your best costume ever? What was your scariest costume ever? What do you want to go as but never bother with the work it takes on the costume?

As you can see, I'm a big Hallowe'en fan :D My in-laws (all Brits living in Canada) say that Hallowe'en is not really celebrated over the pond. True? Instead, Guy Fawkes Day is the big party.
I havn't thought about haloween, my uncles birthday is on halloween :p

Hi Jenem and All. I too loveHalloween so much, and always have a blast Dressing up every year, and going to work that way. Last year, I dressed as Chuck Norriw, with fatiques and Kung Fu Shoes, and had my Puppet "Burt", dressed as Rambo...both of us with head bands. This year, I am going as a French Maid. I done that a couple years ago, but this year, my Friend Terry gave me her Clunky Mary Janes, with 4" Heels (She didn't want anymore), and I just got a pair of Lace Ankle Socks too. It'll be an improvement over the other year.

My best costume was "BALLET PARKING". At work, we have "Valet Parking", and I seen a veruy long time ago Merlton Burle (Can't speel write) came out in the outfit to park cars. I didn't shave for a week, and wore Leotards, Tights, a Tutu and Black Pointe Shoes....I won 1st prize.

We don't give out candy, because we live on a main road and there aren't any people living around here.

One year I made a pair of Red Shorts with big Yellow Buttons, and wore Black Tights and Leotards..and Ears and went as Mickey Mouse. I hope to see some pictures of all of you after this Halloween. If anyone is interested, check out my Yahoo Profile...which will take you to my Yahoo Photos and home page, with a lot of my Halloween pictures.

Halloween is such a fun holiday. I've always loved to dress up (and working at a theatre has only made that more prevalent in my life) and what a wonderful excuse! This year I am going to be Emma Woodhouse from Jane Austen's Emma, and I have a marvolous costume. I can't wait!

I don't understand. Granted we don't do Hallowe'en much round here, but I always thought you were meant to go as something a bit scary? :confused:

My best Halloween costume was completely unintentional, but sublime. I bought a latex wolf head mask, one that goes completely over the head. I wore black leotards and a cape made out of fake sheepskin from the fabric store. I was a "wolf in sheep's clothing." But the humorous part came when the party got crowded and I went to the kitchen to cool off (those masks are HOT!!!) I didn't want to misplace it or have it wander off, so I put the mask on the *back* of my head so I could breathe. A friend walked in the kitchen and started laughing so hard he couldn't even stand up or talk. Once he finally controlled himself to ask what was so funny, he responded:

"I always knew you were a two-faced b*tch!" LOL!

Cathy

Freya said:
I don't understand. Granted we don't do Hallowe'en much round here, but I always thought you were meant to go as something a bit scary? :confused:

Heck, I consider Emma pretty darned scary! :eek:

No, really Freya -- Halloween in the U.S. (at least for adults) is a reason to dress up in just about anything. Funny, silly, and even scary.

And parents have tried to get the kiddies away from frightening stuff to protect their fragile psyches <snort!>, so this year, kids will be dressed up as "hero" types -- firemen, policemen and such. 9/11 isn't that long ago and it's still pretty vivid to younger children with no previous concept of terrorism.

Back