• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hardback or softback books? Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Hardback

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Softback

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Books?...I don't read them.....is this a book forum???

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SFG75

So which do you prefer?

Personally, at one time I never bought softback books at all. I guess that I thought they looked tacky and what not. Recently though, I could care less and I'm more cost-conscious than I was back then.

I don't like hardcover books. They are too hard to read and too much of a pain to carry around. I know they hold together better, but I'd rather a book that's comfortable to read.

Hardback, preferably. Of course, I only buy the hardbacks for authors I like or new books that interest me. Older books get the paperback treatment.

I voted softback because they are cheaper........and easier to read in bed. However, the next time I buy a book about an artist I will be getting hardback, the reproductions of paintings etc are much better.

francesca said:
However, the next time I buy a book about an artist I will be getting hardback, the reproductions of paintings etc are much better.

You're right there. Art books must be purchased in Hardback. It isn't just the image quality. Those are the kind of books where longevity matters.

I always buy hardcover if it's available at a good price. Since I buy (hardcover) from sellers on Amazon, the book usually cost less then a new paperback, even with shipping.

Paperbacks everytime. Preferably old, well used, and musty-smelling, with the name of a previous owner on the inside, or an inscription of some kind - sometimes even reading notes. From a second-hand independent shop. A small one. With piles of books on the floor. And a dog or cat wandering about.

Stewart said:
I only buy the hardbacks for authors I like or new books that interest me.
Same goes for me, i also tend not to lend hardbacks out either just to keep them in as good condition as possible.
I read a lot out and about and at work so paperbacks are just more practical
So my vote would go for softbacks

Hardbacks are more durable but harder to read because of their size. Paperbacks are handier because of their size but get tatty easily.

The best of both worlds therefore is small hardbacks - like the Bloomsbury Classics series from the 90s or the Oxford World's Classics hardbacks from a few years ago. I love those editions. Worst of both worlds is large format paperbacks - yuk yuk yuk.

I tend to buy more paperbacks than hardbacks unless i go to costco were all the hardbacks are usually half price! :)

I usually go with trade paperbacks lately unless it is a new book that I just have to read. It seems to give me the best of both worlds. I get the better paper quality of a hardback, which is my biggest problem with the mass market paperbacks, without the high price and the bulkiness of a harcover to deal with while trying to read. Also, the binding is typically better than that of a normal paperback.

Paperbacks are supple. They feel warm and friendly. Harbacks are, well, hard; and if the dust jacket is gone, they seem faceless.

On the other hand, the production quality of hardbacks is better in every way.

It's a dilemna for me. Since I buy used, cost is usually not the deciding factor. Things like whether there are illustrations will make me choose the hardback.

Mari said:
Paperbacks are supple. They feel warm and friendly. Harbacks are, well, hard; and if the dust jacket is gone, they seem faceless.

Exactly. And the hardback format seems....kind of over-blown for most of the stuff that gets published these days. Hope that makes sense.

I usually go with the paper back because they are less expensive. If it is a favorite author, though (like Stephen King), then I will buy the hard back to add to my shelf. I usually read from the paperback, though, because they are less cumbersome.

I really dislike hard backs for many reasons!

*They are too big to carry around with you

*they take too much space up

*they are overpriced

*they are hard and unfriendly

*they are ungainly to hold while reading

*and worst of all! That damn dust jacket slides all over the place!

Stewart said:
Hardback, preferably. Of course, I only buy the hardbacks for authors I like or new books that interest me. Older books get the paperback treatment.
I'm the same - if it is an author I like, more often that not I buy the hardback (though I do tend to also buy a paperback copy when they come out) - all other books are bought in paperback.

water faerie said:
I like paperbacks more because they are cheaper, easier to carry around, and easier to hold while reading.

I hear you on all accounts.

Back