• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hardcovers or paperbacks?

I love small paperbacks, I find them so much more reader-friendly. Hardcovers are nice to look at, but I don't enjoy reading them as much.

The stuff we're supposed to tell the customer about trade paperbacks is as follows:
- Same format as hard cover unless the publishers have for some reason made a special exclusion concerning the exact size
- There isn't any real reason why some choose these instead of hardcover, it is entirely the author/publisher's choice
- Most authors choose this format because it's cheaper to manufacture and apparently more popular with the customers, thus they make a larger profit

And that's all I know.
(I don't think there's any real logic behind it, and if there is, none of the people in my bookstore know about it!!)

Post is six years old. That makes this an artifact from an ancient Internet stratum.

Anyway, there is a good reason for the existence of the trade paperback. They are more durable than mass market paperbacks but are meant to be easier to read than a hardback. I like them because the spine seems more resilient if the book is read several times.

I'll read any style though.

I'll buy either. If I have a choice between the two though, I prefer paperback for some of the reasons already listed, because they're cheaer and usually easier to read when I'm laying in bed at night.

I prefer paperbacks because they're cheaper.
I still go to school and can't afford those hardcovers unless I can buy them at a flea market for less money or I get them as a present.
Besides, paperbacks are easier to take along into the train when I go to school.

Holy resurrection of a thread, man!!

and because it's so old, I would have said trade paperback then, now I'm a Kindle reader.

Does not matter as long as the book is good :D

I prefer hardcover though because in India Paperback means Mass-Market Paperback which is poor in quality along with totally 3rd class quality of pages :sad:

I'll buy a hardcover if an author I really like just put out something or if I'm able to get it for cheap. Otherwise I usually get softcover editions.

I definitely prefer paperbacks, however I'll buy a hardback if it will be a while before the paperback version is released.

Back