• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Wael said:
Do we even know for sure if Snape is on Voldemort's side? He did kill Dumbledore but that does not mean that he has full loyalty in Voldemort.
I say Snape is on Snape's side. He can play the double agent so well, probably because his only loyality is too himself, and to whatever paths suit his purpose at the moment.

I agree with that to an extent. I don't think Dumbledore was a fool and wouldn't take Snape onto his side without assurance of his loyalty. Assurance that he wouldn't divulge to anyone...maybe we will return to Dumbledore's pensive again? I thought that we had seen the last of it in book five but then it was so important it made the cover of book six. Maybe it will still be useful and provide information to Harry including where to continue on their journey for the horacruxes and information on Snape.

mostly snape

Do you really think that Snape is like that? I was thinking the contrary.
I personaly think that Dumbledore asked Snape to kill him because if Snape didn't, he would die. And they needed that spy inside Voldemort's inner circle. And if Snape helped Malfoy and Dumbledore the Death Eaters would know that he was a spy.
Also, isn't it a pity that Malfoy is in the situation he is? I was really sorry for him. But anyway I think HBP is much better than the fifth book. That was a nightmare, reading it.

Snape's fear would be that he will have to (inevitably) sacrifice himself to save Harry and finish off Voldemort, which considering his great hatred of Harry and James, would be not just mortifying but a sacrifice which it is hard to conceive. He will do it for the sake of Lily and the fact that it is the right thing to do.

It's hard for me to understand anyone's being disappointed in the books because their favorite aspects may be downplayed at any given place in the story. The story of the rise and (surely!) fall of Voldemort must advance, and the children's abilities and growth MUST advance so we can see the unfolding of events as they MUST occur. When a great book is laid before you, never second-guess the author! We may speculate on the future all we like, and re-read 'til the cows come home (which I do in my search for clues to the outcome) but to complain that there's not enough fluff? Let's get our priorities straight-Voldemort must be vanquished!;)

But why would it be mortifying to him? It would be a great and noble deed which he would be forever remembered for, leading to the end of Voldermort. I can see that as being his fear since he secretly did (maybe still does) fear for Harry's safety.

I think it's mortifying to know that you're likely to have to sacrifice yourself for someone you despise and think is a fool and an idiot. That is where I believe the books will bear out what readers suspect about JKR's overall theme - that of love and sacrifice - and whether her religious beliefs will play a part in this. The biggest theme you can get is not sacrificing yourself to save your friends and people you love (Lily, Ron in the chess match to name two examples), although this is noble and incredible on its own - but sacrificing yourself to save people you hate and maybe hate you back (Snape-Harry): this is the Christ-metaphor that people fear JKR might put to use but usually they don't extend the metaphor this far and just see the 'Harry will save the Wizarding World by dying/defeating Voldemort and/or death itself'. They don't see the crucial bit that Harry hasn't twigged yet - he is still full of hate for a) Snape b) Voldemort - that it's easier to die for people you love. Not easy to die for someone you hate.

That, I suspect, will be Snape's honour and role to come. And will hopefully make him the hero of the books rather than Harry.

Carica said:
it's easier to die for people you love. Not easy to die for someone you hate.

That, I suspect, will be Snape's honour and role to come. And will hopefully make him the hero of the books rather than Harry.

I would probably agree with you on this one Carica. I think Snape is likely to sacrifice himself for Harry, but this would suggest taht Harry lives and so many other theories have suggested that he doesn't so I wonder how it will all fit together?

h_carnahan said:
I think that it might be Professor Snape.

another question: What did Snape do to earn Dumbledore's trust?

And yes I do think that Harry survives, I am an optimistic person! and they were originally children's books right?

Who do you think will be killed off in the 6th book?

Dumbledore
will be killed off in the 6th Book by none other than the Half Blood Prince himself -
Snape

JK Rowling Website

Has anybody been on JK Rowlings official website?

Was having a play about on it and can't seem to find how to get in the door where the question mark is?

Does anybody have any idea how this is done as it is really annoying.

Not up to speed on the Boggart/Patronus thing ... so Snape is a shapeshifter, too?

Anyway, I'm onboard with the theory about Snape in terms of his one-sided affection for Lilly. But back it up: he wants Voldemort to pay. Vengeance is Snape's game. He understands perhaps better than even Dumbles how difficult it's going to be to take V down, and now he has to orchestrate it so that Harry has a chance to succeed. The big thing here is not how noble Snape is, but that he wants revenge. That doesn't at all mean that he will sacrifice himself for Harry, but he might ... for Lilly. If he can set it up to eliminate Harry and Voldemort ... :eek:

I hope our faith in Snape being the Gollum of Hogwarts, so to speak, is justified.

That sounds more like Snape. Doing what he has to in order to achieve his own agenda. I think we have all generally agreed that he and Dumbledore acted out the death, but now the question is did Dumbledore truly understand Snape's motive and agenda or is he naive?

That could be the key--almost wrote "crux" but that could have been confusing ;) --to the whole question. It certainly leaves Snape free of any responsibility for sparing Harry as long as Snape gets revenge on Voldemort.

BTW: Snape is not Harry's father. All parties have been described fairly thoroughly and no one who's known Snape, James, and Lilly has ever remarked that Harry resembles Snape. Repeat after me: Snape is not Harry's father.

:cool:

If you mean the door with the Do Not Disturb sign on it (accessed via the hair band on the desk), then it won't open while it has the sign on it. When JKR wants to reveal something, the sign will not be there and there will be some sort of game to play to unlock the door, or the door will open if you do the handle, and then inside there will be some puzzle revealing new stuff about the new book.

That was one of the many fan theories shot down by JKR in an interview - others including that James had survived and was actually Lupin; Snape was a vampire; Mark Evans had some crucial significance; Ron=Dumbledore (actually rather a good theory in some ways); the Knight2King theory (also rather good); the Seventh Weasley theory.

Some of the best theories and Potter-verse issues are discussed and examined on Red Hen's essay site.

just my 2 cents

Hey my theory is that harry's scar is actually the 7th horcrux. Next, the initials on the stolen horcrux match the initials of malfoy's aunt.Beatrix?
And last but not least i believe that dumbledore and snape have been trading places all year long,thanks to the large amount of polyjuice brewed up the first day of potions. So at the end dumbledore really killed snape,because snape was gonna die anyway because he did not help malfoy kill dumbledore and since snape had made the promise to malfoy's mother to protect malfoy technically snape not killing DD would violate that promise cause voldermort will kill Malfoy for not killing DD.and who is to say that snape hasnt created a horcrux of his own.and if he did and DD had it in his possesion that would explain why DD had so much faith that snape would do what he said because he(DD) had control of snape's soul.and bringing snape back via the horcrux would forgive DD for killing him.and if snape created this horcrux when he was bad,then using his horcrux to save DD would exonerate him for doing it in the first place.But hey that is just my long winded opinion.
Cirkris

Yes, I have, and it doesn't seem convincing. At the very most it suggests that Dumbledore and Snape had arranged what to do when Draco tried to fulfill his duty, and that Snape is a double-double agent - which is what a lot of people think anyway. Just why the killing curse sent him flying over the edge of the tower rather than just zapping him dead, is the only uncertainty here. But it's hardly the clue of the century. I will be quite frankly very annoyed if Dumbledore is not dead.

Back