• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Carnahan, Snape still killed an old, weak, defenseless man. Crippled hand only makes it worse.

I'm not saying that Snape is ALL evil. I'm just saying that it bugs me that people are so hell-bent on him being good. He had good intentions. The road to hell is paved with them.

Anyway. I certainly don't see Snape through Harry's eyes. Cripes. That kid (Harry) is so focused on Snape being evil. Think how much shit he could have avoided if he wouldn't have been Jackass Potter during Snape's personal lessons. He could have avoided a LOT. Harry sucks at being a student.

I am still determined to prove that Snape is good, so here is another try. When Snape was arguing with Dumbledore (in 7th book, Hagrid overhears and tells Harry) I think Snape was arguing that he doesn't want to pretend to be Voldermort's man anymore. I think this is when Dumbledore told Snape that if it became necessary, he would have to kill Dumbledore in order to maintain his cover.

If that's not what they were fighting about, then what was it?

h_carnahan said:
I think Snape was arguing that he doesn't want to pretend to be Voldermort's man anymore.

That may be true. Actually, it probably is true. But Dumbledore did NOT know that he was going to be killed. Even Rowling cannot pretend he did. Unless she stretches the story WAY too much.

Snape was at one time evil, and may have changed sides. But people are downplaying his murder. He still murdered Dumbledore.

Think about it from Dumbledore's family's position. Pretend you're Dumbledore's wife, how would you feel? Okay, we all know he doesn't HAVE family, but just think about it. Think about it in real life. What if a professor MURDERED the dean of a school? How would you react? Even in a war situation?

blurricus said:
But Dumbledore did NOT know that he was going to be killed. Even Rowling cannot pretend he did. Unless she stretches the story WAY too much.

Of course Dumbledore knew he was going to be killed - he had discussed this possibility with Snape earlier in the year; he already knew about the horcruxes (he had destroyed one of them in the previous summer hols quite intentionally). Dumbledore is never less than informed as to what is really happening in the stories. he knew Draco had to be protected, that Harry had to be both invisible and unable to act while what had to happen, happened. He had been preparing Harry for his death all through the previous chapter or so. It was fairly predictable early on in HBP that Dumbledore would sacrifice himself, leaving Harry to face the Dark Lord alone in Book 7.

I think that she's going to kill off Harry too, but I hope not. I really want to read the seventh book and just imagine what happens next. Maybe (probably not) she'll add a epilogue to the end of it to see what happens after it is all over.

Carica said:
Of course Dumbledore knew he was going to be killed - he had discussed this possibility with Snape earlier in the year
The fight that Hagrid overheard between them in the forest.

Back