• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Discussion *Spoiler Alert*

Oh my...everyone wants Dumby back. Me too but...I'm afraid I believe he's gone.:rolleyes:

sung said:
well, uh, i know this is kinda changing the subject, but i think it would be perfectly logical for harry to die at the end of the 7th book.

BECAUSE

1. JKRowling would not have to put up with the rabid fans begging her to write an 8th book

2. it wouldnt have to be sad! she could make it beautiful, just as sirius death was beautiful. (yes, i cried, but i was thoughtful, too)

3. THE PROPHECY NEVER SAID THAT THEY COULDNT BOTH DIE! it said that they both couldnt live, and one had to die. but if the SS/PS was destroyed, than they ARE BOTH GOING TO DIE, either from a BATTLE or OLD AGE or SICKNESS.

so, i think that harry could discover this ultra powerful spell that only he could use because he is the most powerful half-blood in the wizarding world (his mother lily was good at charms!) and use it to kill Voldemort, but in the process, kill himself.

i dont know if that makes sense, but it does to me!

about the half-blood prince, i think that it HAS TO BE SOMEONE IN CS! i just dont know who... if it isnt voldemort...

wait, i got it! LOCKHART! he was in the 2nd book, wasnt he? and he was in the 5th book, too! they said that he WAS getting hiss memory back, so what if he got it back, became as famous as he once was, and went VOLDEMORT HUNTING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

that IS totally absurd, but IT COULD HAPPEN! lucius malfoy seems like a good idea, too, but what would he DO? voldemort could make him second in command, but voldemort doesnt share power. in fact, he even kept the death eaters from knowing each others names!

*think think*
I think you're right, but I have another reason. J.K. Rowling has killed a character off in books 4, 5, and 6, always terribly upsetting Harry. I don't know if anyone but me picked up on this, but each time the character became more important. In book 4, she killed of Cedric, who was only really important for that book, and only a little bit so. In book 5, she killed Sirius, a beloved character since book 3. In book 6, she killed off Dumbledore, definitely a major character. So in book 7, I believe she is going to take it up another step further and kill one of the main characters--most likely Harry. In an interview I saw on AOL, she had hinted that it was possible Harry would die as well.
On the other hand...she would risk hurting many people by killing Harry off, as he is a much-loved character. But then again, she said she's never going to publish another book after HP, so it's not like boycotting her will damage her after that.

h_carnahan said:
What suggested to you that someone that he was Harry's father?
Argh! I read it somewhere among these topics but canna find it now! :eek:

It's interesting that so many faculty of Hogwarts are turning out to be shapeshifters: McGonnagal and Snape, along with Lupis ...

Snape is not an animagus. JKR has told us that she cannot tell us what form his patronus takes because that would give away info she's keeping until Book 7. But he is not a shape-shifter as McGonagall and Lupin are (in their various ways).

Your Opinions About The 6th Book's Ending **SPOILER**

I think killing dumbledore off was the most stupid thing J.K has ever done. Dumbledore was the best character and the strongest character. If Snape killed Dumbledore then harry has no chance at all of defeating voldemort and all the death eaters in the 7th book. This is just my short opinion, please submit your views about this or any other stupid things please. :)

It wasn't stupid at all, it was perfect. You do realize the series is going to End at the 7th book? A lot of people seem to be responding negatively to this book just because of the tragic death. That's stupid, especially when the next book will be the conclusion. Dumbledore's death will inspire Harry and many otheres to take serious action against V. I dont think Harry will attend Hogwarts next year, which will quicken the pace considerably.

Before reading the Half-Blood Prince i was quite worried that Rowling wouldn't be able to set things up to make a good conclusion. I was wrong. Dumbledore's death was the perfect turning point in the story where Harry changes from School-Boy to a vengeful superhero.

*contains Spoiler*

WARNING: BELOW CONTAINS A BIG SPOILER FOR THE 7TH BOOK SO ONLY READ ON IF YOU ARE AWARE THAT IT MAY SPOIL IT

If any of you watched Newsround Showbis a few weeks ago you would of found out what Snapes true fear is as a boggart but not the patronus, because J.K. had an interview and said it was something to do with R.A.B which is the person who put that note inside the fake locket. The boggart forms Bellatrix Lestrang because Her full name is Rachell Abacus Bellatrix Lestrang and she really the person that first found out about Voldemorts true identity, so Snape is scared that she is Spying on Voldemort and then give away all the Death Eaters Identity's. She didn't say the bit about the spying bit but I worked it out from hints from the 5th and 6th book (read carefully and you will also notice changes in there behaivour). I am looking around the Newsround Showbis website to see if they have put the interview on there. If I can find it I will post the link on here. :)

From Teadude :)

I agree with DiscoDan. Also, Harry will be coming of age, so he had to gain his independence. He couldn't do that with Dumbledore hanging around. This will ensure that the fight will stay between Harry and Voldemort, as it was meant to be. And also, there has been some debate over whether or not Dumbledore is actually dead...
www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com

Killing Harry would have been the most stupid thing for J.K have done.
Besides Dumbledore will probably make some sort of reappearance (as a ghost or reincarnated) and tell H. to use the Force (or something) to defeat V. :D

It broke my heart, I couldn't stop crying for hours. But I don't think it was stupid, I agree with DiscoDan and Valkyrie, and most of all with Occlith. Heck, if Obi Wan and Gandalf came back with even more power, then why not dear old Dumbledore?

Lol, I agree with your point about how it sums up Harry going after Voldemort. Another thing was though, Dumbledore is now in the potrait in the Headmasters office, but why dosn't he talk in the book like the others do? I would of thought he would have lots to say to Harry. :confused:

teadude said:
Lol, I agree with your point about how it sums up Harry going after Voldemort. Another thing was though, Dumbledore is now in the potrait in the Headmasters office, but why dosn't he talk in the book like the others do? I would of thought he would have lots to say to Harry. :confused:
He was sleeping in the portrait.

It's very possible Dumbledore will come back, but I hope he doesn't.. I'd much rather Harry visit Hogwarts to get some advice from his picture.. though I'm not so fond of the idea of the dead being thinking creatures in those moving portraits, so maybe I hope he won't do that either.

But it's true, the story wouldn't fit the cliche epic adventure without the hero dead person coming back somehow. I'm lovin' the Spiderman romance feel it's putting off now with Harry and Ginny too :p

I don't think Dumbledore can come back. His portrait was only tacked on the wall after he was killed. Only the dead headmasters grace the office walls.

I am confused. She seems so loyal...its hard to believe. Although I must say I would give her more credit to figure it out that Regalus.

teadude said:
I think killing dumbledore off was the most stupid thing J.K has ever done. Dumbledore was the best character and the strongest character. If Snape killed Dumbledore then harry has no chance at all of defeating voldemort and all the death eaters in the 7th book. This is just my short opinion, please submit your views about this or any other stupid things please. :)

Killing Dumbledore may have been part of her plot all along. Even though he's dead, he may still play a part in much of what follows because *spoiler* he might not be dead.

After he 'dies', we never see his body again, even at the funeral. His wand is lost not destroyed, implying that it may be used again. Fawkes is crying right after his death. Not just once, but many times, signifying that he might be healing someone with his tears. Also, Dumbledore, though not directly stated, was close to Madame Pomfrey who, when Fawkes sings, begins to cry as well. Maybe she knows he isn't dead.

For other examples on how Dumbledore is not dead go to www.dumbledoreisnotdead.com/

Anyway, in any novel, it is important not to jump to conclusions. I did in the last novel I read Blood and Chocolate and the ending threw me away, but when I looked back, I noticed the answer was there all along.

h_carnahan said:
I don't think Dumbledore can come back. His portrait was only tacked on the wall after he was killed. Only the dead headmasters grace the office walls.

Where in the book does it say that dead headmasters hang on the walls of the headmaster's office? It just says past headmasters do. He can still be alive.

I'm along on the "Snape is DEFINITELY NOT Harry's father" vein. Seriously people. That's the worst theory I've ever heard. Well, okay, the Ron-Dumbledore theory is up there too. Seriously. That's soap opera and WB material. Not even Rowling is that crappy of an author.

Because let's face it. It would be obnoxious if in the seventh book, Harry gets his hand cut off, finds out Snape's his father, Ron gets frozen in carbonite, and Harry realizes Hermione is his sister.

I don't like how heroic people are making Snape. I also don't like how people think Dumbledore isn't dead. He's dead. Accept it. Snape is a double agent, accept it. He's neither good nor bad. He's playing both sides. He's killing people. Don't make him a hero. He gets no Merlin first degree or whatever.

Before you go off and tell me that Snape was just trying to protect Draco, let me state a few facts:
Dumbledore was OLD.
Dumbledore was WEAK.
Dumbledore was defenseless.

So, Snape killed an old, weak, defenseless man.

He's not the worst guy in the world, but he's an ass and he is not noble.

Well, I think what Harry thinks about Snape has been misleading us all through the books (except that he is truly a nasty piece of work as a teacher), and the reader is also being misled by trusting the vindication of all Harry's suspicions about him. Snape certainly didn't kill Prof Flitwick when he had the chance, but stunned him instead, and rather than stunning Hermione and Ginny (or was it Luna) when they came along, kept them safely out of the way, looking after the stunned Flitwick. As he is fleeing, he is doing everything in his power to avoid having to fight Harry - he blocks every spell but does not retaliate.
The 'spinning' he does at Spinners' End indicates that he is dubiously suspended between the two camps but it will say little for JKR's portayal of the 'greyness' of morality if she allows her most fascinating character to be no more than an out-and-out villain, as dim-witted Harry is so desperate to prove he is. I hope for more complexity than that, even if she didn't deign to give it to that epitome of ridiculously predestined evil, Tom Riddle.

blurricus said:
I don't like how heroic people are making Snape. I also don't like how people think Dumbledore isn't dead. He's dead. QUOTE]
Dumbledore's death was probably arranged. Snape knew that the ring Dumbledore touched turning his hand black was killing him. He was begging for Snape to finish it first and maintain his cover as Voldermorts #1

Back