• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have we lost Stewart too?

I think it's a lost cause myself.
I've seen very well-beloved and less well-beloved people leave forums, and no amount of public wishing they would come back accomplished anything, including messages explicitly pleading and saying "Please come back." They came back or not as they wished, but in two main cases they never came back. I concluded that when a person decides "I don't need this anymore" they know their mind and act accordingly.
And life goes on.
Peder

Not to be a pain Moto, but what is it exactly you hope to accomplish here? Group bereavement over Stewart? I mean, I love your other posts and all, but the ones like this-I guess I just don't see the utilitarian purpose. Yeah, I'll grant you that some people have had a greater impact than others, but when you go, you go and as Peder said-life goes on.

What do I hope to accomplish?

Discussion.
Awareness.
Knowledge.
Incite.

Considering this is post #43, I think I accompished everything I set out for....

Peder said:
I think it's a lost cause myself.
I've seen very well-beloved and less well-beloved people leave forums, and no amount of public wishing they would come back accomplished anything, including messages explicitly pleading and saying "Please come back." They came back or not as they wished, but in two main cases they never came back. I concluded that when a person decides "I don't need this anymore" they know their mind and act accordingly.
And life goes on.
Peder
I basically agree with Peder's post. Perhaps it is because he is approaching my age. I believe we both agree with the saying:
Too old too soon.
Too wise too late.

Back to Stewart. Regardless of the reason for his dissapearance from the forum, if he wants to be in touch with anyone, it is easy for him to do so.

muggle said:
I basically agree with Peder's post. Perhaps it is because he is approaching my age. I believe we both agree with the saying:
Too old too soon.
Too wise too late.

Back to Stewart. Regardless of the reason for his dissapearance from the forum, if he wants to be in touch with anyone, it is easy for him to do so.
Muggle,
I definitely agree with the too soon old part, but am having trouble catching up with the too wise part. :) As for catching up to you, I think I have probably gone long past you. But we can settle that with PM's while everyone else wonders. :D he-he-hee
Peder

muggle said:
Too old too soon.
Too wise too late.
Heeeey! I agree with him as well and I'm only 21. Granted I *feel* old at times, but that's mostly when dealing with the kids I teach.

@ sirmyk & Miss shelf

If you do decide to leave remember to let everyone know who might feel a need to be aware of your whereabouts, just so we avoid unnecessary anxiety.

/sarcasm
motokid said:
What do I hope to accomplish?

Discussion.
Awareness.
Knowledge.
Incite.
Yeah, we're now discussing whether or not it's useful to lament the absence of old members.
If the missing members are truly missed people would be aware of their absence regardless of your post, and if people would still not be aware of their absence even when weeks have passed... well, no point in stepping in this one, I suppose.
Knowledge... of what exactly? That people change and decide they prefer other pastures from tiem to time? Gee... couldn't have figured that one out on my own - I owe you a debt of gratitude.
Incite what? sarcastic comments like these? Yeah I suppose you were quite successful if that was your aim, but somehow I doubt sarcasm was what you wanted to incite - what was it then?

Motokid said:
So if somebody really special to TBF, like Stewart or Novella or xxxxxxxxx were to just disappear for no apparent reason the best thing for all of us to do is just sit back....say **** 'em and the horse they rode in on, and get on with life like nobody cares huh?????

Just ignore the whole thing like they never existed.....

Not my style.

well you could wait for a few months and start a thread about how the forum has changed for bad since the merry time when stewart was around :rolleyes:

mr_michel said:
well you could wait for a few months and start a thread about how the forum has changed for bad since the merry time when stewart was around :rolleyes:

I think it's a universal phenomenon really-old codgers on a forum getting together and lamenting the passing of the "good old days." :rolleyes: :D I've seen that skit on many boards.

Jemima Aslana said:
Heeeey! I agree with him as well and I'm only 21. Granted I *feel* old at times, but that's mostly when dealing with the kids I teach.

@ sirmyk & Miss shelf

If you do decide to leave remember to let everyone know who might feel a need to be aware of your whereabouts, just so we avoid unnecessary anxiety.

/sarcasm

Yeah, we're now discussing whether or not it's useful to lament the absence of old members.
If the missing members are truly missed people would be aware of their absence regardless of your post, and if people would still not be aware of their absence even when weeks have passed... well, no point in stepping in this one, I suppose.
Knowledge... of what exactly? That people change and decide they prefer other pastures from tiem to time? Gee... couldn't have figured that one out on my own - I owe you a debt of gratitude.
Incite what? sarcastic comments like these? Yeah I suppose you were quite successful if that was your aim, but somehow I doubt sarcasm was what you wanted to incite - what was it then?

Yeah, I'll be sure to announce my departure right here and PM you for good measure, and include all of my contact addresses just in case you feel the need to entertain me with your ironic wit.

clueless said:
I think you'll find that horses have no antlers. Would that be a problem?

Clueless! I'm laughing! If I got that allusion, I think you've been immersed in medieval literature for too way long! :D

StillILearn said:
Clueless! I'm laughing! If I got that allusion, I think you've been immersed in medieval literature for too way long! :D
Probably. There are so many other innocent words that I don't dare to say any more, just in case.

Miss Shelf said:
Yeah, I'll be sure to announce my departure right here and PM you for good measure, and include all of my contact addresses just in case you feel the need to entertain me with your ironic wit.

Just to be sure: The reply was to you, but the sting was aimed at moto and those that share the opinion he advocate here. Got nothing against either of you - your posts were simply convenient catalysts for my bark. Sorry if you took offense.

Sting???? Sting???

pphttpppp....you gotta try a lot harder than that....

....and what exactly is it that you think I'm "advocating" here?

I simply questioned if we lost Stewart...and it appears we have.

It appears there are others who are no longer posting too. I, for one liked many who are not here anymore, and I am finding that my interest in TBF is slowly degrading along with their departure.

I am simply expressing my saddness in their absense....

I find it amazing that people are finding something wrong with that....

But from where I sit....tough shit. I post what I feel, and those of you that don't like it, but keep posting here, are keeping this thread alive and kicking....so keep it up...by all means...tell me why this thread is pointless.

Motokid said:
...tell me why this thread is pointless.
This thread is anything but pointless.

Regarding the sting... (bees lose their stinger after a successful butt-stab and buzz off to die; wasps have super stingers attached to their backsides and stab over and over again)

Back