• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Have we lost Stewart too?

It appears there are others who are no longer posting too. I, for one liked many who are not here anymore, and I am finding that my interest in TBF is slowly degrading along with their departure.

That is disappointing, it's sad when anyone decides to leave. At the same time, it happens for a variety of reasons. Think of the cup as being half-full. We have some great "newbies" who have enriched the site. Personallly, the site has been better since we've lost folks who did nothing but complain about people not reading "high enough" literature and who made dismissive remarks regarding certain authors. It was those people who made me contemplate leaving, but with their absence, I don't have that problem anymore. Not only that, but people like Peder and the recent newbs have done wonders to this site. Besides that, I don't cry for those who post rarely, and even then, only post to complain and whine about how they are disenchanted with the site.

I visit another forum where Stewart posts and I noticed he's been less active there too recently. So it may be nothing personal guys! Similarly I haven't been here for a while, simply because sometimes I don't have as much free time to go online.

Ask not what your website does for you; ask what you can do for your website. Or something like that.

Instead of finding fault, how about we each try doing something to improve the site. Here's my contribution:
Read book (even if it's one no one else here would be interested in), post in-depth review, post cut down version on Amazon including reference to thebookforum, in the hope that some Amazon browsers will come and find us. How about everyone having a go at that, just once, and see if we can get some new blood on site.

SFG75 said:
but people like Peder and the recent newbs have done wonders to this site.
Peder is getting alot of talking up right now, and rightly so. We are after all, not worthy:

wayne2.jpg

Kenny Shovel said:
Ask not what your website does for you; ask what you can do for your website. Or something like that.

Instead of finding fault, how about we each try doing something to improve the site. Here's my contribution:
Read book (even if it's one no one else here would be interested in), post in-depth review, post cut down version on Amazon including reference to thebookforum, in the hope that some Amazon browsers will come and find us. How about everyone having a go at that, just once, and see if we can get some new blood on site.

This is quite a splendid idea, Mr Shovel. Anyone know the max word count in a post? And where would essay-type posts go?

My 'thebookforum' review was about 1,500 words, I split it over three posts to be sure it fitted and used them to start a thread. I'm currently waiting for the book to be added to the library so that I can put the review where it belongs.

Amazon has a 1,000 word maximum and an annoying insistence that the review can't have been published elsewhere, so I only used the last couple of paragraphs, which sum up the book.

If I had the time again I'd do two things differently. Mention on Amazon that my 'thebookforum' review was 1,500 words, as that may help tempt people over here. Also put more thought into my Amazon comments; I was so fed up after finding out I couldn’t re-use the main review that I didn’t put enough heart into the second one.

Oh, I'd get the name of the damn book right in the second paragraph too!

Kenny Shovel said:
Peder is getting alot of talking up right now,[rest omitted **]
Kenny,
I have noticed that too, and your post beat me to it!
After SFG's post I was going to say `"Let's not start a personality cult around here!"

But I'll say it anyway now. :)

Please, let's not start a personality cult around here, least of all around me.

I see many many people and posts that I find more interesting than me and mine here and, therefore, contributing more to the site than I am. I could embarrass someone else by mentioning their name, but I won't (except that it is zolipara :eek: ) And I'm sure he could mention someone else, and so it would go. But now, stroking beard, let me offer two old hoary thoughts, heard long ago, to stomp out the fire.

First, mentioning names is a bad thing, because sure as shootin no matter how long the list, someone equally worthy will get left out. Which is not good.

Second, let me drag out an old maxim, or whatever they call these things, heard long long ago:
Everyone is my superior is some way. In that, I can learn from them.
So I'm glad if people think of me as well as I think of others here but, truth to tell, I cringe when I see my name singled out. So please not.

** and PS Kenney, I read the completion of your sentence as being very heavily sarcastic, otherwise you would have big fight on your hands from me. You know, I hope, and I know that is not what I believe.

So,
Rocks and stones OK,
I have received a pile of those,
But no cult, OK?
Let's address issues not people,
(even if it takes some fun out of things :D )
Peder

I'm glad Stewart is back amongst the brethren..so where did he post and does he have any idea what trouble his walkabout has cause????:D

abecedarian said:
I'm glad Stewart is back amongst the brethren..so where did he post and does he have any idea what trouble his walkabout has cause????:D
abecedarian,
ROTFALTIC!
THAT is what I love about this forum!
There is a sense of humor here that doesn't exist anywhere else! :D:
Peder

Kenny,
I love it, I love it!
You guys are just too much!
ROTFL and poundng with my hands and feet!
That's definitely a 5-grinner!
:D :D :D :D :D
Peder

Okay, Okay, so I'm not down with the hipsters with their wacky new lingo, but what the hell does ROTFALTIC! mean?

Whatever happened to "Gee, that was rather amusing. Thank you Abecedarian, you gave me a good chuckle over that".?

Or just plain "Haha!", or "That was funny!"?

There was a genetic mutation someplace. ha-ha, or maybe :)

BTW j/k = just kidding, in case that is ever needed for translation, by the way.

Back