• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Heaven & Hell novels, any recommendations?

Choc

I'm really a big fan of novels relating to heaven and hell, spirits, devil etc etc...
Please be so kind to recommend novels that you found to be a good read...
Cheers

You might enjoy:
Anatole France's The Revolt of the Angels, about Arcade, an angel who comes to Earth, reads Lucretius' De Rerum Natura and stops believing in God;
Any of the Faust-related works by Christopher Marlowe or Goethe;
John Milton's Paradise Lost;
J. Cazotte's The Devil in Love;
José Saramago's The Gospel According to Jesus Christ;
Matthew Lewis' The Monk;
Charles Maturin's Melmoth the Wanderer;
Emanuel Swedenborg's apptly-titled Heaven and Hell.

I would be curious to find out if anyone has enjoyed Dante's The Purgatorio. I purchased it at a second hand place and can't wait to dive into it.

a bit more specific plz,i know thousands of books with spirits in them,and quite a few with lands of the dead/hell,

I don't know if this would fit what you're looking for but The Screwtape letters by C. S. Lewis is an interesting look on hell and the ways people could end up there. it's also a quick read (a little over 180 pages if i remember correctly).

There's the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony, which is a series of seven (actually there now seems to be an eighth one) novels which each focus on aspects of life such as death, time, good, and evil, which are embodied by humans who become immortal. The books about good and evil will give you heaven and hell, although the earlier books in the series also have some bearing on the heaven-hell issue. Pretty sure Satan shows up earlier than book 6 although it's decades since I read them. These books came out in the 1980s apart from the eighth one, which seems to be just a couple of years old.

Back