• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hellboy

Martin

I've never read the comic-graphic novel Hellboy, but I've recently seen the trailer of the upcoming film, and it looks abso-friggin'-lutely amazing!

Are there any people here who are familiar with Hellboy, and who's like to comment on the film?

The trailer is right here.

Cheers, Martin :D

I was familar with the comic a while ago but I haven't read it. And yes, I cannot wait for this film, it's almost got me as excited as Van Helsing, but not quite that much.

I know nothing about Hellboy, but the people around me who do are obsessive about this movie. I see another midnight showing in my future.

Just saw this, and I liked it pretty well. It had humor, character, romance, special effects, some plot, a little something for everyone. And that guy who always plays the annoying FBI chief played the annoying FBI chief.

Saw Hellboy This weekend with my son, and we both enjoyed it. Ron Perlman was a perfect Hellboy; true to the wisecracking character. Good humor, good special effects, good dialog, good action, story was a little jumpy in spots and they needed a little more of Abe Sapien, but still a well made comic book movie.

Hell boy looks like Ted Danson. Is that who played Hellboy?

It's rough when you're seven feet tall and red with sideburns and people call you Hellboy instead of Hellman. I guess the author of the comic was worried about his hero sounding like mayonaise!

I'm sure there must be better ones than this lying about. Fetch!

NEWSpapers are fetched as they are contrived. In this way, the act of responding to a new thread is more like a dog's fetching than the act of responding to an old thread, which is more like a dignified curator meandering through archives. And in anycase, it's not far to fetch, since no distance is traversed in responding to old threads.

I'm curious about the second film, mostly because it looks like the production crew actually took time to fully develop the special effects. I never saw the first one because the VFX looked chintzy and unconvincing. Maybe I should probably give it a chance . . .

Hellboy was a shocker of a movie. One of the worst I've ever seen.

I can only assume that you've hardly ever seen any films. :)

Just for starters, Ron Perlman made a very good Hellboy – let's face it, he can actually act, and he brought pathos and humour to the sort of character that is usually treated like a piece of wood (or a game sprite, if it's Hulk). The look of the film was excellent, really reflecting the look of the graphic novels. And there was a genuine sense of brooding darkness and evil to it.

I'm looking forward to the second one.

I loved the first one and am really looking forward to see what Del Toro does with the second one. I found Hellboy's blue collar attitude a refreshing change of pace from Marvel's angst-ridden heroes.

I loved the first one and am really looking forward to see what Del Toro does with the second one. I found Hellboy's blue collar attitude a refreshing change of pace from Marvel's angst-ridden heroes.

Trailer here, Lenny.

The Dark Knight looks promising too – not least because Heath Ledger's Joker looks as though it will obliterate from memory the absurdly OTT Nicholson version.

Thanks! The creature designs in the Hellboy trailer look incredible. I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight as well. These were my most anticipated films of the summer.

Thanks! The creature designs in the Hellboy trailer look incredible...

Don't they just!

... I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight as well. These were my most anticipated films of the summer.

I got really bored with mainstream, English-language films a decade or so ago – primarily because, when I want to be entertained, I still want to be treated as though my brain is switched on. Both these look like total entertainment – but without treating viewers like brain-dead zombies who only want eye candy.

Back