• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello Book & Reader Board...

I am merely pointing out that literature will remain, regardless of whether it be in traditional paper and ink, or in digital format. Therefore, it is not so terrible a thing for one 'format' to slowly fade away, replaced by what was merely thought to be a 'fad' alternative. The great inventions I mentioned were simply an illustration that this is not the first time such a thing has occurred, nor is it likely to be the last.
I can understand it's not likely to be the last. Yes, ebooks are doing okay and sales of them are rising month on month, but given that, aside from non-fiction titles, the majority that appear more legitimate seem to be small, typically genre, concerns and, as far as I know, don't operate in the way regular publishers do - can they afford to edit ruthlessly, design the document formatting, and everything else it entails? - and will, at least in my eyes, remain inferior.

But we'll see what happens in five or ten years because regular publishers are catching up - not that they are sloo, they have to catch up because they are larger entities, with departments all pulling their own way, trying to get agreement on the proper direction for the business. Now, years after the burst of blogs, the savvier publishers are turning to them: not just as cheaper marketing but also to promote their own business. I'm sure once they follow where technology is going, that's where the future of the book will be decided. Not ebooks now, but maybe later. Books have been doing so well for hundreds of years and until ebooks and ebook readers can, not only replicate, but make the experience seem dated, then books will continue to do well.

I am glad to see this is not the usual message board.
I'm glad it isn't either. The sycophancy I've seen on others is suffocating.

I'm glad it isn't either. The sycophancy I've seen on others is suffocating.

lmao...

As humbling it is to have people point out yon inevitable writing errs, it is a far cry better than to witness the myriad of:

"oh I luve yer work! *squeal* (heart heart smiley)"

Thanks again for the sideways pointers; I am vastly enjoying my persual of the posts in these various topics. I must admit, despite my waving flag for ebooks, there is a worn paperback of My Family and Other Animals on my shelf, as well as a well-read leather volume of the Count of Monte Cristo.

I can also take my book and whack a hobo with it then go back to reading it. After I've wiped the hobo funk off of it.

lol... indeed. 'Round here, though, the hobo is likely to whip out his PDA and whack y' back.

A couple of years ago, I told a friend of mine that we don't go in the basement in August because it's Hobo mating season. She paused for a few seconds and then asked me 'why do you have horny homeless people in your basement?'

A couple of years ago, I told a friend of mine that we don't go in the basement in August because it's Hobo mating season. She paused for a few seconds and then asked me 'why do you have horny homeless people in your basement?'

That's awesome.

This forum is fantastic. We've not the resources for editors but even that has been addressed by a thoughtful lady from among these fine folks; having read this very thread (and the replies therein) she found our website, bought three of our books and offered to beta-read for us in future.

I am grateful for this forum, and all the comments/commentators. Chin up new writers and come here for advice and aid.

Back