• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello everybody!

Diotallevi

I wrote a long introduction, but then my session expired, and I lost it. The summary of that I wrote was:

I'm 27, I work as a programmer in a marketing consulting firm, and these is the list of the books I like and the books I didn't like:
1 - The Foucault's pendulum, by Umberto Eco
2 - The Lord of the Rigs, by JRR Tolkien,
3 - The Aleph, by Jorge Luis Borges,
4 - The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King,
5 - One hundred years of solitude, by Gabriel García Marquez
6 - Any short story by Julio Cortázar,
7 - The goslpel by Jesus Christ, by Jose Saramago,
8 - Thirteen problem for Miss Marple, by Agatha Christie

I didn't like:
1 - The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown,
2 - The brethren, by John Grisham,
3 - The Bourne Supremacy, by Robert Ludlum,
4 - Wuthering heights, by Emily Brontë,
5 - Anything written by Wilbur Smith (except maybe A sparrow falls, the first long novel I've read :) )

Greetings to everyone!

Diotallevi said:
the books I like:
4 - The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King,

I didn't like:
4 - Wuthering heights, by Emily Brontë,

:cool: Welcome to the forum! :)

Heeey

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I must look so pathetic just refreshing my message to wait for feedback :(
I know, I must get a life...

Halo: You didn't like Wuthering Heights???? I thought some people were going to bash me for saying that, but I'm not saying the book is bad, I'm just stating that the book "choked" me, and was very difficult to finish, although I had the best intention to do that.

amcartoon: I found Stephen King's Dark Tower, the first book, when I was young and it freaked me out. That universe was so disturbing, and more disturbing was the fact that he didn't know if it was going to end it sometime. I've read somewhere that he was going to finish it eventually (in the seventh book?) and that brought some peace of mind to me :).

Stewart: Have you read The misterious flame of queen Loana? I'm reading it right know and it's sort of very familiar and disturbing. I hope I don't become addicted to this book, because I'm having exams in college, and when I was reading Foucault's pendulum, I became so obsessed that I didn't sleep much, and at work I sneaked into the bathroom to finish it!

Thanks again to everyone :) You're too kind.

PD: I didn't found the typical "Da Vinci code bashing" thread, do you have it somewhere :)
PD2: Funny thing, "Lord of the rigs" must be a new novel :p

Diotallevi said:
Stewart: Have you read The misterious flame of queen Loana?

It arrived in the post yesterday although I don't believe it's officially on the shelves until Monday. I have not started it yet.

PD: I didn't found the typical "Da Vinci code bashing" thread, do you have it somewhere :)

There's a few. ;)

It arrived in the post yesterday although I don't believe it's officially on the shelves until Monday. I have not started it yet.

In Argentina, the spanish version (the one that I'm reading) has been available for a month. When you finish reading it, let me know, so we start a thread about it.

Ice: Thanks :)

Welcome Diotallevi

Agree didn't like Wuthering Heights (Studied it at school for exam, perhaps thats why?)

Have to disagree with Wilbur Smith (i've enjoyed most of his books)

Nice to hear from you, have fun.

Cabrasopa :cool:

Hi there!
While I've enjoyed some of his books, when I tried to read them again, I found them very boring or simplistic most of the time. But my mother still likes him, so maybe is just me :)

I didn't have to study Wuthering Heights, it was only out of curiosity. But then I found myself unable to read on. So I left it :(

Thanks for the welcome :)

Hello and Welcome! I didn't care for The da Vinci Code either. I can see an ok movie coming from it, but I didn't like it and disagreed with the conspiracy theory behind it all.
As for Wuthering Heights, I haven't tried it, but have found that certain books are for certain periods in my life-and definately not for others- who says we have to read this, or anyother "classic" in order to die well read? There are so many others waiting to be discovered, there's no use getting bogged down on one that's a bore.. I personally never managed to wade through Centennial by James Michner... :)

Back