• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello from Russia!

Hi Sergo,

I'm reading Martin Cruz Smith's book Wolves Eat Dogs right now. It is set in Moscow and around the no-go zone of Chernobyl. Don't know how accurate it is, but I think he at least gets his geography right.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Sergo..
I think it would be safer to give the street bears a try, people of this forum have been known to eat people at certain times...

novella said:
Hi Sergo,

I'm reading Martin Cruz Smith's book Wolves Eat Dogs right now. It is set in Moscow and around the no-go zone of Chernobyl. Don't know how accurate it is, but I think he at least gets his geography right.

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Novella!

I will keep in mind that - maybe try to read it soon. It is interesting to read what writers think-up about your city...

By the way, as I read quite a lot of Clancy... Sometimes you read that some hero drives to Moscow from one of our aeroports, but it is obvious from the description of views that really he should be driving from another airport...

Rustam said:
Don't be sad. Me, too. :) My work is my life, i spend whole time on it.

Yep, you are quite right.

As to Moscow being a big village - you are right again.

(I am almost forgotten to add that I love it as it is).

hay82 said:
Welcome to the forum Sergo..
I think it would be safer to give the street bears a try, people of this forum have been known to eat people at certain times...

Hi Hay!

Really? I am well known at some of our Russian forums as a men-eater myself. I like my discussions to be hot, especially when people think them to be owners of The Holy Truth.
At the first glance it wasn't obvious to me that this place is like these I mentioned...

Sergo said:
Really? I am well known at some of our Russian forums as a men-eater myself. I like my discussions to be hot, especially when people think them to be owners of The Holy Truth.
Well you'll have to expand yourself to more than just a man-eater here... There are a lot of women, and they are all way smarter than the men here. :)
Well they can't own the Holy Truth, that's mine and mine alone. :D Looking forward to seeing you in a discussion, perhaps I'll even join one at some piont.

My oppionen of Kurt Vonnegut is based on one book, but I plan on reading more at some time, if only I get the time.

hay82 said:
Well you'll have to expand yourself to more than just a man-eater here... There are a lot of women, and they are all way smarter than the men here. :)
Well they can't own the Holy Truth, that's mine and mine alone. :D Looking forward to seeing you in a discussion, perhaps I'll even join one at some piont.

My oppionen of Kurt Vonnegut is based on one book, but I plan on reading more at some time, if only I get the time.

Wow... I have never eaten women. It's kind of unmanly, I think... As to being smarter... OK, it is always a pleasure for me to meet people smarter'n me... And I like my pleasures...

As to discussions... I do not think it wise to get into too hot a discussion of books or authors... Everybody has a right to like what one like...

The hottest discussions we Russians have are:

1. Is the new Russia better than USSR? Was there possibility to rebuild USSR into something more grand than the Russia we have at the moment?

2. Which way is better for the people - one of USA or one of China?

3. Why is that some people are rich, and other are poor? Who is better? (There is a common opinion in Russia that the rich are uncultured and tend to theft, and the poor are cultured and truthworthy).

Then some religion aspects and so on.

So if you want to discuss some of the above three - you are very much velcome, and I would have to forget about all the work I have to complete today...

Sergo said:
So if you want to discuss some of the above three - you are very much velcome, and I would have to forget about all the work I have to complete today...
:) I don't think I would be able to discuss any of those things, there are smart people around here, but I'm not one of them, and I don't know much about Russia.
A lot of the discussions here have no relevans to books or authors, and some of them do get pretty heated.

Just to give you a little to your questions, I would say that I don't think the rich are better than the poor, nor are the poor better than the rich.
And I hope that there are other ways to go than that of USA or China, what about going a special Russian way? :)

hay82 said:
:) I don't think I would be able to discuss any of those things, there are smart people around here, but I'm not one of them, and I don't know much about Russia.
A lot of the discussions here have no relevans to books or authors, and some of them do get pretty heated.

Just to give you a little to your questions, I would say that I don't think the rich are better than the poor, nor are the poor better than the rich.
And I hope that there are other ways to go than that of USA or China, what about going a special Russian way? :)

I thought you would not.
And what you say is not what I would like to contradict.
Of course it's not important if one is rich or poor for one to be a good person.
As to ways... We always try to find our own very special way, so it is difficult to find undamaged wall in our region, and our faces are often swollen because of that...

But really I had enough of hearing how good is that Chinese way, so it is a blessing we do not have to discuss it here.

OK, thank you all for a friendly wellcome, I have to return to work now.
(Not all the money scheduled for today were earned yet)

See you later!

Hi Wabbit!

Your profile is quite imressive.
:)

You are lucky to live in London.
Hope to be able to arrange for my daughter to learn there this year...

novella said:
Hi Sergo,

Welcome to the forum.

I've tried to check what's in the net on this book, and what I came up with:

"Inspector Arkady Renko, still dumb enough to investigate after all these years, is sent to probe the apparent suicide of a "New Russian" tycoon, Pasha Ivanov"

What have me PISSSED OFFF, is why these writers do not bother to get a telephon book of Moscow telephones, or some data base with our addresses, names etc. Of course, it all the same to a Westerner if a Russian is called by the Croatian name, or by a name nobody ever heard in Russia. But I thought that it would look much better if the writer check the background for his story more thoroughfully...

1. Arkady is OK, but Renko... In more than 10 000 000 of Moscow citizens we do not have a single one with such a family name. So for a Russian a hero with so strange a name implies some unusual background, wich I am sure was not intended by the author.
2. Ivanov is OK for a family name, but Pasha is how the closest friends or relatives would have called Pavel, so it is impossible to see this name in an official document.

So...

I will try to buy the book here and read it, now that I completed Clancy's.

Sergo said:
You are lucky to live in London.
Hope to be able to arrange for my daughter to learn there this year...

Hi Sergo,

The good news for you, if your daughter does spend some time in London, is that you can be sure she's not the only Russian in town!
In the summer of 2001 I had a russian friend stay with me whilst they attended summer school and whilst we visited London often, only heard Russian being spoken a couple of times in the street. Over the last year however, perhaps because of the Baltic states joining the EU, perhaps because some of the Oligarchs like Roman Abramovich have made London one of the fashionable playgrounds of the 'Novi Russki', I've heard Russian many times whilst in London. You seem to be everywhere!

KS.

Hey, Welcome to the Forum! :)

My advise, if you're sending your daughter to London, dont let Wabbit know when or where!! :eek:

Phil :D

Welcome to the forum! :)

It's been quite some time since I read a Russian novel. Last year I stumbled over 'Kys' by Tatjana Tolstaja. It has been translated into German but in hardly any other language, so I found it hard to find any opinions about the book. I'm not sure if I got all of it because there were a lot of hints at Russian literature and history.
Do you know something about her work? I heard she is well-known in Russia.

Kenny Shovel said:
Hi Sergo,

The good news for you, if your daughter does spend some time in London, is that you can be sure she's not the only Russian in town!
In the summer of 2001 I had a russian friend stay with me whilst they attended summer school and whilst we visited London often, only heard Russian being spoken a couple of times in the street. Over the last year however, perhaps because of the Baltic states joining the EU, perhaps because some of the Oligarchs like Roman Abramovich have made London one of the fashionable playgrounds of the 'Novi Russki', I've heard Russian many times whilst in London. You seem to be everywhere!

KS.

Hi Kenny:
Yep, it seems Russians are everywhere. There are too many of us, you know, and we were held too long behind USSR's borders.
Some of us are not amiable people, but I think that with help of other Europeans we will get better...

Back