• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello, how are you all?

Linda,
I have to thank you a second time for recommending Lawrence Block; The first time was not profuse enough! :D

I am having an absoloute blast! The humor on every page is priceless, especially the send-ups of typical detective mystery writing, and there are laugh-out-loud lines on evey fourth page or so! I really have to try to control myself when I read Burglar who Painted Like Mondrian down at the coffee shop. In between outbursts I spend full time smiling and giggling.

With respect to the New York part of it, the locales are letter perfect, even if the names of some places and establishments have been changed. I know and recognize them all. But I have to tell you there are no New Yorkers as witty as Carolyn and Bernie!

Many, many thanks,
I can tell I am going to do the whole series,
:)
Peder

PS And I met yet return to thank you a third time. :D

Oh! Great to hear that! I have exactly the same response (the book should carry a health warning: "Danger! Reading in Public Places Can Damage Your Image!" Also, I seriously suspected he was getting the NY ambience just right!! At least, I hoped so... He is exactly the kind of author I would search out for holiday reading, on or before a visit to NY! Happy reading and keep me up to scratch please. :D
Linda

Peder said:
Linda,
I have to thank you a second time for recommending Lawrence Block; The first time was not profuse enough! :D

I am having an absoloute blast! The humor on every page is priceless, especially the send-ups of typical detective mystery writing, and there are laugh-out-loud lines on evey fourth page or so! I really have to try to control myself when I read Burglar who Painted Like Mondrian down at the coffee shop. In between outbursts I spend full time smiling and giggling.

With respect to the New York part of it, the locales are letter perfect, even if the names of some places and establishments have been changed. I know and recognize them all. But I have to tell you there are no New Yorkers as witty as Carolyn and Bernie!

Many, many thanks,
I can tell I am going to do the whole series,
:)
Peder

PS And I met yet return to thank you a third time. :D

Linda,
Have finished "The Burglar who Painted Like Mondrian" and it is one great read! It is laugh-out-loud comical all the way through and the author is positively evil in the way he lets all the clues out into plain sight without the reader, me anyway, even suspecting that they are crucial bits to the story. It has one wild complicated wind-up that I would say even out-Agathas Agatha, plus one final joke -- on the reader!
I noticed a couple more on the shelf at the bookstore so I will definitely be getting around to them.
Many thanks,
Peder

Hi Peder
Good to know another Block fan! :D
I'm trying out a Carl Hiaasen now. I read somewhere that he is the American Christopher Brookmyre. (probably on the back of a Brookmyre book!) I don't think he is, not so far anyway, though I'm only about half way through at the moment. Have you read any of his books? Not that I mean to distract you from the Lawrence Block route, just curious to know if you have any ideas?
Linda

lindaj07 said:
...I'm trying out a Carl Hiaasen now. I read somewhere that he is the American Christopher Brookmyre. (probably on the back of a Brookmyre book!) I don't think he is, not so far anyway, though I'm only about half way through at the moment. Have you read any of his books? Not that I mean to distract you from the Lawrence Block route, just curious to know if you have any ideas?
Linda

Linda,
I would hate to saddle Christopher Brookmyre with being another Hiaasen. :rolleyes:
Yes, I have read several of Hiaasen's novels and, though he is sort of funny, he is nowhere near in the same league as Lawrence Block, so I have not gone out of my way to buy his new books. One of his books was made up into a sort of OK movie called "Striptease" as I recall. Notable mainly for one particular scene and one particular maneuver by Demi Moore! :eek:

But others around here apparently share our high view of Block, because when I went back to the bookstore today, all Blocks but two were cleared off the shelf! :eek: And the Bernie Rodenbarrs were g-o-n-e gone!. Wow!

But the Hiaasen's should be fast reads,
Peder

Hi Peder
I've almost finished Hiaasen... Not great, I agree but Brookmyre has written some books that are better than others too, of course. I was thinking I would give him another try but maybe...
When you told me about the Block "mystery" :p at the bookshop, I had an image of you standing in the queue at the local supermarket telling everyone how wonderful the book was, then the supermarket empties as everybody runs round to the bookshop to buy up all available Blocks!! I will be in town tomorrow and will look for... Mondrian. I also still have the Ted Williams one to read soon. What will you read instead of Block?
Hope to hear from you soon
Linda

Linda,
You have one great imagination!
I was wondering where all the people went! :D

But actually I don't know what I am going to get yet. Been looking at graphic novels and V is for Vendetta by Moore looks lika a GN I could go for. Looked at A Dame to Kill For from the Sin City collection but that wore thin on me after browsing a dozen pages or so, so that is off the list (temporarily). But there will definitely be another Rhodenbarr story in the pile whenever I open my wallet again; you can count on that. :)

BTW there was a Lawrence Block thread that opened up briefly yesterday or so and some of us thought we might see you there. Hint, Hint.

Especially since I saw a growl at some other people carrying on a conversation here in the Introductions area instead of moving it to the 'proper' thread. :confused:

Peder

PS Forgot to ask...

Is this something I should know about? Can't say I feel inclined to search through hundreds of threads to find the right one. I don't have enough time to sift through the threads that look interesting... Do you think it's a problem?
I'm afraid I am not terribly up on the etiquette of online posting! :rolleyes:
Peder said:
Linda,
Especially since I saw a growl at some other people carrying on a conversation here in the Introductions area instead of moving it to the 'proper' thread. :confused:

Peder

lindaj07 said:
Is this something I should know about? Can't say I feel inclined to search through hundreds of threads to find the right one. I don't have enough time to sift through the threads that look interesting... Do you think it's a problem?
Linda,
I am answering in separate post below this one because once again I hung my machine when using edit with quote. I'll be there in a minute! :)
Peder

lindaj07 asked

Linda,
I don't know the answer to that question since I am also rather new here and have somewhat the same problem. I have been replying to posts only as they appear in the New Posts area and have not browsed out into the Forums at large, except the once when I concluded that there were a large number to browse. So I have been using the Subscriptions feature to keep track of threads where I have already posted and to notice when new posts appear in them.

Maybe I would have found it easier if I had known about the roll-over capability for reading the post for the thread title, but I still haven't gone out on a general walk-around armed even with that knowledge. In fact, I was somewhat surprised that you found the Lawrence Block thread after it dropped out of sight in New Posts. I thought it was gone forever, sunk beneath the waves. :) I've only used the Search feature once, for something else, and it came up blank -- even in a forum this huge size!

I am extremely sorry if I sounded critical, or if I in any way offended you with any implied but completely unintended criticisim. I guess it was the very cautious side of my nature that made the suggestion, in view of the fact that I was (and still am) a newbie here and didn't want to offend against forum guidelines. In addition I had noticed then that there was at least one very active thread here in Introductions with several hundred replies posted. They were flourishing, so I really didn't think we were out of line.

The original suggestion that some other people 'move it' was made by a member not a moderator, so maybe some helpful member or moderator will help us out with our quandary. In any event, if we are out of line and should stop walking on the grass and get back on the sidewalk, then I am sure we will be shushed. I hope we only get a mild suggestion rather than a stern warning before we are taken outside and shot. :)

Actually I would prefer to continue this congenial thread, and if that is OK with you that is what I would suggest.

Now we shall see if this reply hangs again, even without the block quote tags./biting fingernails/

Sincerely,
Peder

Oh! I'm not sure how I found the Lawrence Block thread now but I do know it wasn't difficult or else I would have given up. :D and no! I was not at all offended!! Just curious about what was going on when my back was turned :p Now I think it was about a China Mieville comment I made? Don't worry, I've been thrown out of better places than this!! :D NO! Really, I haven't! I'm joking!! I'm sure we will learn if we are out of order!
I am happy to continue here too, not least because I am not sure how else to make sure I contact you!!!! :D The threads do seem to come and go and I don't always take time to check which thread I am on...
So, status quo for now is ok for me...
By the way, I got Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell but no Block here either! It IS an international conspiracy!! :eek:
I will check for/set up a thread for Mankell when I have sampled some of his work. What do you think?
Faceless Killers seems to be quite topical, especially for me as I work with refugees..........

Take care
Linda

hi again Peder
I forgot to mention that I voted for Shadow of the Wind for Book of the Month for October. AND IT"S WINNING (only just though!!) Have you read it? I have to say I really liked it but mostly because I love Barcelona and the book reminded me of so many places I have been there. A good story though, quite gripping in places...
Linda

Hi Linda,
Glad to see you still "on thread," tehe.:)
I too have been wondering how to stay in touch in such a huge gatherng. In smaller forums with less traffic it is much easier. Maybe I could start a thread reminiscent of Marlon Brando in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and simply call it

"Linnnnnnnnnnddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :D

Glad also that you found your way to the Mankell shelf. Unless that is his very recent book, where his daughter joins the police, I have read it. I read all of them in such a blur a year or so ago that the titles just won't stick in my head. Whichever the one, you are in for a good read.

Re the vanishing Blocks, i just don't understand it. :confused: I told my agents to work their way around the world the other way buying them all up. I can't imagine how they got to your neighborhood so soon. :D

Re the Book of the Month, it must be nice to win once in a while. :rolleyes: In another forum I think I have my first winner coming up, after hearing about lots of good books -- and even reading some of them in advance -- but having them always come in second or worse. If I were voting I think it would be the Twelfth Card (?) that sounded most interesting to me. But since just now I am cutting back on acquisitions I don't think I'll be in the discussion.

Good to hear from you,
Take care,
Peder

Hi again

Hello!!
I had a call from the library tonight saying that they found me ... Mondrian!! Oh dear! What a fix to be in... Block/Mankell:Mankell/Block??
How can I decide? I also found drummer girl at the weekend did I tell you?
Faceless Killers was published in 1997,Kurt Wallender/torturemurder/isolated farm house/xenophobia etc etc. recognise it now?? lol This Wallender character DOES sound a lot like Scudder. I'm looking forward to it!!
Finished the Hiaasen one tonight... not great but quite sweet really. It's not so funny (for me) as Brookmyre but that could be a cultural thing. Although I liked the good guys and despised the bad guys, I had reservations about all of the characters. (sick puppy) I will think about it and let you know...
You are right about this thread!!!
Where else would I get to talk about 5 (or 6?) books in one paragraph (or it would be a paragraph if it was grammatical) !!??!!?!?!? Is that allowed?? :D:D:D
(I also have more than enough books to keep me going for a while but I don't suppose for a minute that will keep me out of the bookshops!)
Happy Reading
bye for now
Linda

Hi Linda,
It sounds like you are completely surrounded on all sides by excellent reading there! Should hold you for a day or two :D And keep you quite happy.
As for going to bookstores, I have always believed that you have to buy them (books, that is, not bookstores) when you see them, and figure that you'll get around to reading them sometime. Lately I have been following the other (artificial) belief that the books will always be there in the store when I want them and can always go back to buy them. That is actually false, except for classics of course, but it is the only way I can cut back. This afternoon I was at the big local bookstore and bought nary a thing, except for coffee and a sandwich! Did quite a bit of browsing, though, but it still did not feel like me inside my skin. And not much fun at all. :( :(
The reading goes well enough though. I am almost halfway through the poems that you see mentioned above and may actually finish them over the weekend. Then I'll be up against the question again of what next, and whether from the bookstore or one of the stacks?
Have a good weekend,
Peder

Hi Peder
Haven't decided yet what to read! I consider this part of the fun though :D
As to buying books... I have to admit to be an impulsive/compulsive buyer if there is such a thing! If I don't buy on impulse, I tend to forget about the book and move on to something else. Too many things in life these days have to be well organised, rigid etc. My book buying method, I suppose is an act of rebellion!! Pathetic? No way, it works!!
Poetry! There is a topic! I find it weird to read that you have ALMOST finished a poetry book. I don't think I have ever finished a poetry book in my life (from cover to cover, I mean). This includes the poets I really like, such as WB Yeats or Shelley. I look at poetry books as something to dip in and out of, I suppose this comes from all the boring stuff I learned at school. AND at University, I studied THE ******* FAERIE QUEEN (fill in the blank as applicable!! ) I really, honestly disliked that poem/book/epic pain in the ***/ (cross out where applicable) sorry this is becoming boring even for me!! I did, however study some Alexander Pope and that I did like but can't remember which now, so it was obviously instantly forgetable.
Something I meant to say before...
Have you been back to the Block forum recently? I suggested a quite ambitious TRANSNATIONAL Block discussion group. MonkeyCatcher (New Zealand) is up for it but neither of us has a clue how to organise it. Could be a VERY Interesting project. Please check out the forum if you get a chance? In case you have lost it for eternity and longer, the directions are as follows:
At top of page, Click Forum>Bookshelves>Crime,Thrillers,Mystery>Lawrence Block
If you can't find Bookshelves, scroll down the page till you find the BLUE headline and underneath you find genres.
Sorry if this seems to basic, I really don't think you are stupid at ALL!!!!!!!
I simply want to make sure you find it without wandering around for days on end, thinking "I must find that forum on Block"!! :rolleyes: :D
You have a good weekend too
hope to hear from you soon
Linda

Hi Linda,
You know? You are right about never having finished a book of poetry. In fact I haven't either before this. There are indidivdual poems of particular poets that I have come across and really liked and I have bought books of their poetry as a result. But I haven't been able to finish the books. With Mr. Pound here I may pretty soon start skimming because I am now into the Cantos (for which he is famous) but they are not speaking to me in the same way some of his other poems in the book have. Maybe I am losing the mood for tackling such difficult suntax and imagery. Some of his other poems have taken a couple of days each to sort out and I have enjoyed the challenge and, really, the artistry of his language. BTW that means a couple days reading them over coffee a few times a day on those days -- not a couple of full days. :) But the Cantos look like they are going to be harder than that. So we shall see.
Re the Block forum, yes I have been keeping eye on it without anything to add. So, rare for me, I have been rather quiet. :eek:
I have however been browsing the bookstore (and drinking my share of coffee there) but I have been keeping my impusive compulsions under control. And I definitely know what you mean about so many books that just cry out "Me, me! Read me, read me!" Actuually I have two stacks of them under my desk right now that are doing just that -- the stack to be finished and the stack to be started -- TBF and TBR.
So my weekend shall not lack! :)
Hope you have a good one too,
Take care,
Peder

By the way...

Have you tried the "Authors' Website" thread?
Pretty spectacular!! I am not easily impressed, but...
I'm IMPRESSED!

L

Um. no, Linda,
When I said I hadn't looked at the rest of the forum beyond New Posts, I really meant it. Except for one post down in Movies. Sounds like it's time to start poking around.

Thanks for the shove, er, the help :D,
Peder

Shove?? Well, maybe only a little one! :D

Peder said:
Um. no, Linda,
When I said I hadn't looked at the rest of the forum beyond New Posts, I really meant it. Except for one post down in Movies. Sounds like it's time to start poking around.

Thanks for the shove, er, the help :D,
Peder

Back