• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello, how are you all?

lindaj07 said:
Finally, hi to all and thanks for the great welcome!
I hope I have not gone off the point of this forum. Please give hints if this is the case!
Linda,
Hi and belated welcome!
Nothing is ever final and, how oh how, can you go off point in this forum? :)
Two favorites immediately come to mind: John LeCarre for spy and, more recently, Henning Mankell for detective stories. Plus another author I'll never forget, for one work alone: Vladimir Nabokov for Lolita.
Wander around, you will lose all power to resist :)
Peder

Hi Peder! Thanks for the welcome and...

I DID love John LeCarre for a time but somehow stopped reading him, I don't remember why...
Henning Mankell? I will check that name, I don't think I know it. Any particular recommendations? I must say that I am really enjoying Lawrence Block for crime. He creates a very vivid image of NY in his books and he is fun too. :)) Who did I say were my favourites?? I forgot already, or maybe it's time for me to change the list. I am currently pursuing Oracle Night by Paul Auster.
Please let me know what you think about Henning Mankell. I never like to pass up a recommendation!

Peder said:
Linda,
Hi and belated welcome!
Nothing is ever final and, how oh how, can you go off point in this forum? :)
Two favorites immediately come to mind: John LeCarre for spy and, more recently, Henning Mankell for detective stories. Plus another author I'll never forget, for one work alone: Vladimir Nabokov for Lolita.
Wander around, you will lose all power to resist :)
Peder

Some of my replies seem not to be posted...

I have been replying to all messages but some don't seem to be showing...
If this is the case, please accept my apologies and if you have any ideas on how to solve this problem, please let me know?

lindaj07 said:
Hi and thanks for the welcome!
Of course, I like Chomsky too but he disappoints me sometimes. I think Said has the edge as a writer and I prefer his logic too. I don't know about Cornel West, what has he written?
A funny coincidence... Inca Gold by Cussler (did I get the title right?) has just been released today in Glasgow by a bookcrosser. I don't usually bother to chase them but I will today I think!
I have read some of Bellow but can't remember which, I guess it may have been something early? Any ideas?
I will have to check it out!

Yes, Said does have the edge him on there. Chomsky writes with that dense-jargon laden phrasology that is the wonderful world of linguistics. :) Said's writings on the Palestinian situation are very interesting and have provided "the other" view for me. At the same time, Chomsky is like a barrister who lays out a complicated series of evidence against that which he despises--very hard these days to find others who do likewise with such documentation, even if it is not written in a rich and vivid way. :)

Yes, if you read Bellow-it was probably one of the earlier works as the later ones aren't too widely read or held in high regard. I have his book Ravelstein,which I plan to start soon-though I have a lot of others that are competing for my time and attention. Cussler would be a good read as well, especially if you need some 007 meets international intrigue type of writing. I like him because he does have a good deal of historical anecdotes that play a role in his writing. Not only that, but he always writes himself into his books somehow. :D

Linda,
Henning Mankell is a current author who writes police procedurals based in Sweden, but with world-wide connections and hooks to modern-day topics. The hero, Kurt Wallander, has a rounded character and real-world concerns in addition to being the low-key guy who finally solves it all. His supporting crew, men and women, are quite realistically believable also. Plus it's from my neck of the woods, sort of, so I enjoy reading about the locales.

Re Le Carre; Love him though I might, you may have stopped reading him for a very good reason which has been under discussion in the LeCarre forum. :wink:

CU there,
Peder

Welcome to the forum, Linda!!

Favorites? J. R. R. Tolkien, Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy and Dean Koontz, Shelby Foote. I like Robert Ludlum too, but I haven't read enought of his work to consider him a favorite.

lindaj07 said:
Hi Wabbit and thanks for the welcome!
G G M is surely one of the all time great writers? Who did I say were my faves? Well, I must insist on the right to change my mind at the slightest provocation!! :) And the list goes on and on and....

I dearly love all his novels so far. His master piece and work of genius is of course 100 years of solitude :)

How about you?!

Gmm

Oh! Yes! I agree! 100 years of solitude is one of those rare books that make me wonder if I would ever understand it completely. There is something new each time I read it, though that is not often enough. Another favourite of mine is Love in the Time of Cholera. I found this one so haunting. I have read that the book is too slow, but I love the character, hmmm, what's his name... Florentino I think! However, he is not the hero, love is!! Such lovely writing... Oh! I have to read it again!! :D

Wabbit said:
I dearly love all his novels so far. His master piece and work of genius is of course 100 years of solitude :)

How about you?!

Hi Robert and thanks for the welcome!

Lord of the Rings! It is like Bob Marley, in the literary world. There is nowhere on earth where it isn't known!! Well, ok maybe I'm exaggerating! But I have known people from lots of countries who have read it.
I haven't read any Clive Cussler yet but I am thinking about Inca Gold. It looks good. I don't know much about any of your other favourites but would like to hear more? especially recommendations!!

Robert said:
Welcome to the forum, Linda!!

Favorites? J. R. R. Tolkien, Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy and Dean Koontz, Shelby Foote. I like Robert Ludlum too, but I haven't read enought of his work to consider him a favorite.

Le Carre continued...

I will take you up on your invitation to the Le Carre forum but I have just realised that the reason I stopped reading is quite obvious!! Would it be the end of the Cold War? I seem to remember reading something and thinking it isn't the same when the spy isn't out in the cold or some such!

See you at the forum! :O

PS Henning Mankell sounds REALLY interesting, world-wide connections and modern day topics... sounds good!! Have to check out if I can find any of his writing here! I just realised you are in NY... (NO! I do NOT intend to ask if you know Lawrence Block!!) :D (No, really... Do you??)

Peder said:
Linda,
Henning Mankell is a current author who writes police procedurals based in Sweden, but with world-wide connections and hooks to modern-day topics. The hero, Kurt Wallander, has a rounded character and real-world concerns in addition to being the low-key guy who finally solves it all. His supporting crew, men and women, are quite realistically believable also. Plus it's from my neck of the woods, sort of, so I enjoy reading about the locales.

Re Le Carre; Love him though I might, you may have stopped reading him for a very good reason which has been under discussion in the LeCarre forum. :wink:

CU there,
Peder

Linda,
Nope, no Lawrence Block. :)
I even have to confess the name doesn't ring a bell. Have I been in a cave someplace? :(
Peder

Lawrence Block

OK so he is not exactly a modern day classic but he IS funny and his stories are great! I've read a few but I think the best are the Matthew Scudder Series.

Peder said:
Linda,
Nope, no Lawrence Block. :)
I even have to confess the name doesn't ring a bell. Have I been in a cave someplace? :(
Peder

Linda,
Sounds like a great reason to do some browsing over coffee at the local bookstore -- not that I ever lack for a reason ;)
Thanks for the new name,
Peder

Hi again Peder
If you need excuses for browsing, here's another one...
It's written by a Glasgow guy and set in Glasgow and if you need another reason, it may be good to compare and contrast with Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr. The author's name is Christopher Brookmyre and the title is The Sacred Art of Stealing.
And... I would be particularly interested in your views on Block as a dweller in NY?

Linda,
I was just over there and now know where (all) the Lawrence Blocks are shelved. Any specific title you'd suggest? Especially to read with the Sacred Art of Stealing.
It's great to have a good bookstore only a mile away. :D
Peder

recommendations?

Hi again Peder
I'm not sure about what to read....
I don't think The Burglar Who Thought He Was Bogart is the best, since it seems to get a bit tangled up at the end. I'm about to start The Burglar Who Traded Ted Williams... The titles give a good idea about the books don't they? Very droll!
Whatever you choose, you will still have time to read something deep and meaningful too!
Have fun!
Linda

OK Linda!
We're in biz.
I just picked up Block's The Burglar who Painted like Mondrian and after only 8 pages am loving it. It has the right ring for NYC!

An indigent walks into a bookstore offering to sell a book from the NY Public Library. The bookdealer sees the NYPL stamp and leafs through looking for the 'wihdrawn' stamp, meaning the library has let it go. Finding none, he tells the guy he doesn't buy library books. The indigent says he'll take it to another book dealer. "He has his own withdrawn stamp."

Too believable, just too believable! and LOL!

Of course not for bookdealers in general. But if there is a scam, it will be found in my good old town!

Thanks for the recco, :)
Peder

PS. But no sight of Brookmyre.

Hi Peder!
Great! Glad to hear you found something you like in Block. I haven't read that one yet so I have to get a move on now!!!! If you can't find any Brookmyre I can send you one that I have here but it's not his best. It's called Be My Enemy and is quite funny but not the best for comparing with Block. The Sacred Art of Stealing has a lovable rogue like Bernie. Happy reading!!
Linda

Back