• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hello, how are you all?

lindaj07

Hi
I'm Linda, as you may have guessed! I'm new here and may take a while to find my way around :) My tastes in books are wide and varied. I can stand most genres but the story has to be a good one. My favourite writers range from Edward Said to Umberto Eco to Lawrence Block to Naghuib Mafouz, with many others in between. Do you have a favourite author? If so, please introduce me!! I look forward to chatting with you all.

Welcome to the forum, Linda! :) Favourite authors? Hmm... Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Willy Russell, Trudi Canavan, Sue Townsend, Dean Koontz's earlier stuff.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you will enjoy it here :)

My fave authors? Hmmm I like loads. I suppose the one that I admire the most is Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Welcome to TBF, Linda :D

I, like yourself, enjoy a wide variety of authors, but I guess my all-time favourite author would have to be Roald Dahl (both his children's and adult literature)

MonkeyCatcher

Welcome Linda!. Favorite non-fiction would be Noam Chomsky(a friend of your Edward Said) as well as Cornel West. Non-fiction wise, I like Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Philip Roth, and some of the later Saul Bellow works.

Hello, lindaj07. Welcome to the Book Forums! :)

lindaj07 said:
Hi
I'm Linda, as you may have guessed! I'm new here and may take a while to find my way around :)
As a recent member of this forum, I am also accustoming myself to the site. The adjustment is gradual, but it's certainly worth it.

lindaj07 said:
Do you have a favourite author? If so, please introduce me!! I look forward to chatting with you all.
That has always been such a difficult question on my part, but for now I will choose Margaret Mitchell.

I wish that your stay in these forums is a pleasurable one!

Welcome to the forum. I find it hard to choose a couple of favourite authors. Did Edward Said write any fiction? I only know him as a non-fiction writer.

Hi Halo

Hi Halo and thanks for the warm welcome! Thanks too for the fave authors, I don't know much about any of them! It's really exciting isn't it? I love to be introduced to knew authors!

Halo said:
Welcome to the forum, Linda! :) Favourite authors? Hmm... Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Willy Russell, Trudi Canavan, Sue Townsend, Dean Koontz's earlier stuff.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez...

Hi Wabbit and thanks for the welcome!
G G M is surely one of the all time great writers? Who did I say were my faves? Well, I must insist on the right to change my mind at the slightest provocation!! :) And the list goes on and on and....

Noam & Edward

Hi and thanks for the welcome!
Of course, I like Chomsky too but he disappoints me sometimes. I think Said has the edge as a writer and I prefer his logic too. I don't know about Cornel West, what has he written?
A funny coincidence... Inca Gold by Cussler (did I get the title right?) has just been released today in Glasgow by a bookcrosser. I don't usually bother to chase them but I will today I think!
I have read some of Bellow but can't remember which, I guess it may have been something early? Any ideas?
I will have to check it out!

SFG75 said:
Welcome Linda!. Favorite non-fiction would be Noam Chomsky(a friend of your Edward Said) as well as Cornel West. Non-fiction wise, I like Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Philip Roth, and some of the later Saul Bellow works.

Edward Said (again)

I'm not sure if Said wrote any fiction. Like you, I only know him as a non-fiction writer. Having said this, he was Professor of English Literature at (I think) Boston University until he died a few years ago. I have to say, though, that I find his non-fiction makes for great reading and reads as easily as most fiction and a lot easier than some!! :D

clueless said:
Welcome to the forum. I find it hard to choose a couple of favourite authors. Did Edward Said write any fiction? I only know him as a non-fiction writer.

OOPS! Have I lost the thread already?

Finally, hi to all and thanks for the great welcome!
I hope I have not gone off the point of this forum. Please give hints if this is the case!

Midaq Alley is the one about the prostitute, the gay guy, the beggar and.... Right? I read it some time ago in the early 90s, so it's a bit hazy now. They made a film of it I believe? Set in Mexico or somewhere around there, I suppose because post revolution Egypt would NEVER admit to the existance of any of the book's characters!! :) That is another very interesting thing about the book for me (among other Mahfouz stuff). As I say, I read the book around 91-92, somewhere around 50 years after it was written. I was in Egypt in 1992 and kept meeting people I thought were familiar. It took a while to realise that they were characters from Mahfouz books!! I was back in Egypt again in 1999. The changes in the country in the space of 7 years were absolutely gob-smacking, but I still kept falling over Mahfouz characters! Midaq Alley made me think about beggars too. The guy in the book organises beggars doesn't he? He's like a kind of Fagan character. When I was there, I noticed that there seemed to be an organisation of beggars. They were always at the same place at the same time of day and there seemed to be a shift change system too. Of course, no concrete evidence of deliberate amputations (as in the book) but it would be very good for the begging business wouldn't it?
Another interesting thing about Mahfouz...
I don't know about now, but up until a few years ago, he wrote regularly in an Egyptian newspaper called Al Ahram. It is read by people throughout the N Africa and Mid East. The last time I read the paper, (English edition) he was blind and dictated to somebody else who wrote his column. You can find the paper online and check the archives for his articles.
Oh let me revise my warning!! Don't start me on Said or Mahfouz!! :D

PS How did you get into Mahfouz?

I wonder if I would have read him if I had not been going to Cairo and looking for Egyptian authors...

Back