• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Help me select 2 books please

glock

I have to pick one book from each list for my English class. Recommendations would be awesome. I'm an Asian male interested in suspense books, no lovey-dovey romantic stuff please >_>. Looking for an easy, smooth read.

1)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
Pride and Prejudice
A tale of Two Cities
The Mill on the Floss
Middlemarch
Anna Karenina
Crime and Punishment
All the Pretty Horses
Cold Mountain
Sons and Lovers

2)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Handmaiden's Tale
Mrs. Dalloway
London Fields
The English Patient
The Shipping News
Catch-22
On the Road
Going After Cacciato
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Midnight's Children

Thanks in advance!

If it was winter I would suggest stoking your fire with those books,but seeing how its summer hows your toilet paper supply? Throw that crap out and slap whoever suggest you waste your life reading such garbage.I suggest an adventure by Jack London(The Sea Wolf would do),A horror by King or Matheson,or a thriller by Koontz.Oh Heres a good one(thank me later) read Boys Life by Robert Mccammon better than any of those...ahem...classics.

I have to pick one book from each list for my English class.
A tale of Two Cities
The Shipping News

Those are the two that I would pick. A Tale Of Two Cities, as far as I'm aware, is more political than romance, which, given your preferences, rules out a good number of those listed in Category One. The Shipping News won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction a number of years back, which gives it a certain pedigree.

Throw that crap out and slap whoever suggest you waste your life reading such garbage.
I suppose you've read them all to deem them garbage. No? Thought not. The original poster has stated that these books were prescribed for an English class and those, therefore, are the choices. There's no Jack London, no Stephen King, no Dean Koontz, and no Robert McCammon. So why bring them up? There's threads for them already.

The only ones I've read from list one are the girly books, but from the second list I'd say Catch 22. It's got war, it's got jokes, it's got chocolate covered cotton. What more could a boy want?

For me, for class, I'd go for the shortest book from each list. :D I don't read well to order.

I recall The English Patient being a fairly easy read. It's more than a simple love story. The Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man is also quite good, but it can get difficult at times.

I think Ima go with ToTC and Catch-22. Thanks everyone! I'll give an update on how they were once I finish

Haven't read any of list one, but I'd go with one of these two based upon your criteria, though I doubt either of them is "easy."
Crime and Punishment
All the Pretty Horses

The second list has a few of my favorites:
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Catch-22

As well as some I desperately want to read:
On the Road
Going After Cacciato
Midnight's Children

Again, these are rather complex and occasionally difficult works, but I think they also look supremely enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

I really liked reading A Tale of Two Cities for my World Literature class. It was tedious at times-but no more than any of the other books, though. I was glad I read it once I finished it, which is more than I can say more most of the books I read for school.
I also want to read Cold Mountain, but I can't really tell you if it's good or not. Just that I've heard good things about it.
I hope you enjoy the books you do decide to read.

I must say the books on List One are the ones I enjoyed reading least while doing my degree, but I would recommend 'A Tale of Two Cities' above the others ... it's much less 'girly'.

From the second list there are two I love, 'A Handmaid's Tale'( I assume it's this instead of Handmaiden?) and 'Catch-22'. Handmaid's Tale is really thought-provoking, while Catch-22 is much funnier, it still makes you think.

Quite strange that they should include A Portrait of the Artist in the same list as The Shipping News or On the Road. :eek:

(I know I'm too late but...) For a class I would go for well-known works. Just because it helps that whoever has to mark it might have read, or at least heard of whichever you choose.

From the first list, Crime and Punishment is not especially "lovey-dovey" and likewise, as others have suggested, A Tale of Two Cities is very political.

I haven't read all of Catch-22 like the others have suggested. But glock, I hope you tell us how you're getting along with them. The Handmaid's Tale and An Unbearable Lightness of Being are two fairly straight-forward reads.

To whoever wishes to read On the Road, at some point: I hated that book. Just wanted to say that. :)

Back