• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hey from oklahoma

curiouswonder

Hi new friends. I'm excited to find a group of people who seem as obsessed about books and reading as I am. I'm looking forward to conversations and suggestions and I'm sure debates in the days to come.

So about me.
I'm live in Oklahoma City. I'm married with four kids (8,7,3,1 - boy, girl, boy, girl). I pastor a small church in Norman, OK and do web design / internet development to pay the bills. I'm (back) in school working on my Masters in Sociology at the University of Oklahoma.

I love to read just about everything. I try to have a novel, a ministry / theology book, and a sociology/business book going at all times.

Asking about a favorite book is like asking me about my favorite meal. There is too much variety and too many gone by to pick out one. Some authors I really enjoy are Donald Miller, Anne LaMott, Wendell Berry, Vonnegutt, Brennan Manning, JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, and Brian McLaren. you can add to that all of the guilty pleasure usual suspects -- King, James Patterson, Clancy, Koontz, Card, and many many more.

Looking forward to getting to know many of you in the days down the road.
J

Greetings from the cornhusker state!. ;) Should be an interesting NU vs. OU game this year, though I won't brag it up since the Huskers are still rebuilding. I've been to OKC before, but I was pretty young. My mother was a professor at ECU in Ada and my brother had an in-law in Ardmore. Other than those areas, I couldn't tell you much else about Oklahoma, other than they use to trounce Nebraska in football in the 80s. :(

You've come to a great place. :)

Greetings and welcome!
You will definitely find what you are looking for here!
And quite a bit more :)
Peder

Hi, and welcome! Where did your avatar come from? I know it is something familiar from when I was a kid, but I can't figure it out.

SFG75 said:
Should be an interesting NU vs. OU game this year, though I won't brag it up since the Huskers are still rebuilding.

My guess is it will be a battle for mediocrity in the Big XII this year. Winner goes to some pre-Christmas bowl game.

Thanks for the welcome.
J

mehastings said:
Hi, and welcome! Where did your avatar come from? I know it is something familiar from when I was a kid, but I can't figure it out.

It's Igoo from the Herculoids. A Hanna-Barbera cartoon from the late 60s revived in the early 80s. I used to catch reruns all the time when I was a kid. Loved them.

The Herculoids FAQ if you're interested.

Thanks for the welcome.
J

Greetings and Welcome from a neighbor to the north! Out of curiosity(and plain nosieness) what denomination are you? Ok, I DO have ulterior motives..........I belong to an Evangelical Free Church, and we are looking for a pastor...and would like one who reads :D

Just kidding(partially!) we have a candidate coming for an interview this month and I'm not on the pulpit committee anyway..

But, I hope you enjoy your time here; there's lots of friendly(if sometimes heated) discussions on all sorts of topics. :)

abecedarian said:
Greetings and Welcome from a neighbor to the north! Out of curiosity(and plain nosieness) what denomination are you? Ok, I DO have ulterior motives..........I belong to an Evangelical Free Church, and we are looking for a pastor...and would like one who reads :D

I rolled through Kansas just the other day. Thanks for the welcome.
To answer your question, I don't really have a denominational connection. Our church has people of a variety of faith traditions and tries to reflect a wide range of ideas about Christianity and faith. We identify most closely with the emergent conversation and that collection of church communities. My background is in the Southern Baptist tradition, but I have come a long way from the center of that upbringing. All of that feels a bit like a non-answer, but there it is.
I traveled to Israel several years ago with a group of folks from an EV Free church in North Carolina. Good times.

Feeling all fuzzy about the welcomes. Thanks all.
J

curiouswonder said:
I rolled through Kansas just the other day. Thanks for the welcome.
To answer your question, I don't really have a denominational connection. Our church has people of a variety of faith traditions and tries to reflect a wide range of ideas about Christianity and faith. We identify most closely with the emergent conversation and that collection of church communities. My background is in the Southern Baptist tradition, but I have come a long way from the center of that upbringing. All of that feels a bit like a non-answer, but there it is.
I traveled to Israel several years ago with a group of folks from an EV Free church in North Carolina. Good times.

Feeling all fuzzy about the welcomes. Thanks all.
J

I checked out your emergentvillage links, and tried to find Brian MacLaren's books in the Kansas library system, but he's not in there yet. I'll have to ask my favorite interlibrary loan lady at my library to order it out of state for me. When I did a search at Amazon, a familiar book was listed along with it: Blue Like Jazz..my oldest dd tried to get this through Ill recently, and couldn't get it either. I'll have to ask her if she bought it yet or not.

Back