• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

hey from oklahoma

abecedarian said:
I checked out your emergentvillage links, and tried to find Brian MacLaren's books in the Kansas library system, but he's not in there yet. I'll have to ask my favorite interlibrary loan lady at my library to order it out of state for me. When I did a search at Amazon, a familiar book was listed along with it: Blue Like Jazz..my oldest dd tried to get this through Ill recently, and couldn't get it either. I'll have to ask her if she bought it yet or not.

Blue Like Jazz is one of the best books I've ever read. Funny, smart, insightful, honest. Over the past couple of years it has been one of the first books that comes up when i talk with people all over the country about our church and what I do. Worth every penny you have to spend to get it.
MacLaren's stuff is also great. Some of it is pretty challenging, especially if one comes from a conservative background. Worth the ride. Even futher down the rabbit hole is Doug Pagitt's book Church Re-Imagined
I could go on....
J

Right after I posted about dd#1 not being able to get Blue Like Jazz, she and dd#2 came home. Turns out dd#2 bought a copy and started it, but got bogged down with school, and had to put it down. The first dd claims dibs on the book, so hopefully sometime this century I'll get a crack at it :rolleyes:

The reason we're even aware of Blue Like Jazz, is through a friend of my oldest dd, who recently left an E-Free church in Wichita to be part of a Scum Of The Earth church in Denver.
I think I'll still ask if my library can obtain a copy of one of Brian MacLaren's books from out of state. Dh and I have read several books on the early Church, and how far we've gotten from the original model, so I doubt we'd be TOO shocked. (We're refugees from Southern Baptist Association ourselves!) :D

I just checked the library site, and discovered that I'd misspelled Brian McLaren's name when I searched before..picky, picky library system.. :rolleyes: I just ordered A New Kind of Christian..

abecedarian said:
Turns out dd#2 bought a copy and started it, but got bogged down with school, and had to put it down. The first dd claims dibs on the book, so hopefully sometime this century I'll get a crack at it
I'll be interested to hear what you and your daughter think about it when you're done.
J

Welcome curiouswonder! Dive in and enjoy the Forum and expect your to-be-read list to GROW!!! We are very warm and fuzzy around here for the most part. :)

Can I also say that it's so nice to see a friendly discussion of church denominations and related to literature as well, so within the bounds of the Forum rules. Very interesting. I'd also like to hear some more about this book and the early churches so long as it stayed within the Forum rules.

Back