• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Hi! Google sent me!

AuntiePam

I just finished reading Elleander Morning by Jerry Yulsman, and was googling around looking for some discussion about the book. Google brought me here because of a thread from 2004. The person who started the thread doesn't appear to be around anymore, darn it.

Anyway, I'm new, and I need another website to visit like I need a hole in the head, but it looks good here.

Mostly I read fiction, but will read non-fiction if it's about something I'm interested in, like plagues and other disasters. Some of my favorite writers are Stephen King (I'm not ashamed to admit it), George R. R. Martin, David L. Martin, Emile Zola, Harriett Arnow, Pat Barker, Steven Erikson, David Mitchell, and Don Robertson.

I particularly like historical fiction, time travel and alternate history, and epic fantasy, as well as general fiction. I've read a lot of Oprah's picks (not ashamed of that either) and enjoyed them. Heck, I even like a good western.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Libra, I did read Outlander. The story was so intriguing, I just had to visit the main website. Bad idea -- I spoiled the rest of the books for myself.

sparkchaser, you're welcome. :) I didn't get the title right, but someone corrected it, so all's well. Maybe it'll encourage someone to get Leman's book -- it truly is excellent, the writing as well as the imagination.

joderu95, yay, an Erikson fan. I've read just the first four Malazan books -- I'm waiting on the rest until he's finished.

Hey, what a coincidence, I've only read the first four too. I have the next two and I will probably read the next one before this year is over, but I always like to have one (mass market paperback) to look forward to before I catch up.

I should have waited for the paperbacks. I do most of my reading at bedtime, in bed, and the hardcovers are really heavy.

The Malazon story is so broad, so massive -- I've lost track of the plot and most of the characters. But when I start reading, it doesn't matter. What a world he's created!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have another midwesterner on the board.:flowers: I like Stephen King, don't tell anyone else.;) Gotta agree about Emile Zola, one heck of a good writer.

Thanks! I love Nebraska -- I've driven through a few times and even stopped once or twice. People poo-poo the Midwest because we don't have mountains or oceans, but there's something to be said for subtle, quiet landscapes.

I'm working my way through Zola's Rougon-Macquart cycle but haven't gotten too far. I wish all the books were in print, but I think I've found the best ones. The Dram Shop is my favorite.

Thanks! I love Nebraska -- I've driven through a few times and even stopped once or twice. People poo-poo the Midwest because we don't have mountains or oceans, but there's something to be said for subtle, quiet landscapes.

I'm working my way through Zola's Rougon-Macquart cycle but haven't gotten too far. I wish all the books were in print, but I think I've found the best ones. The Dram Shop is my favorite.

LOL-I hear you. The funiest part in the movie dumb and dumber is when they take the moped and suddenly realize that they are no where near the rockies.

"Where are we?"

"I think we're in Nebraska.":lol::lol:

Who nees 'em? I love the sandhills.:D

Thanks! Landslide, it's Harold Bloom's fault that I get defensive about liking King. :)

fluffy bunny, are you a Doper? (There's a fluffy bunny at the Straight Dope message board.)

Back