• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Historical Fiction! A list of popular authors and novels.

ions

If you're into historical fiction here are some suggestions.

Authors
James A. Michener
James Clavell
Edward Rutherford
Bernard Cornwell
Conn Iggulden

Some books that cover the category by authors who did not specialize in Historical Fiction:

Pillars of the Earth Ken Follet
A Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens
Barnaby Rudge Charles Dickens
War and Peace Leo Tolstoy

Also consider Guy Gavriel Kay. He takes a period and applies a veneer of Fantasy over top.

Think my list is small and pathetic? Add to it! :D

I'd have to add:

Caleb Carr (wrote about turn of the century NYC)
Ursela Hegi (most well known works focus on Germany prior to, during and post WWII)

I know there are plenty of others, but I'll have to come up with them later.

mehastings said:
I'd have to add:

Caleb Carr (wrote about turn of the century NYC)
Ursela Hegi (most well known works focus on Germany prior to, during and post WWII)

I know there are plenty of others, but I'll have to come up with them later.

I have liked the Caleb Carr books I've read. I'll also add India Edghill to the list, Wisdom's Daughter and Queenmaker were very good. I really like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series too.

how about Sharon Kay Penman, Morgan Llywelyn, Nora Lofts, Rosalind Miles, Mary Renault, Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series... would Irving Stone qualify? how about Victoria Holt (Jean Plaidy, Phillipa Carr) ?

would mysteries set in medieval times qualify as historical perhaps? the likes of Susannah Gregory, Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter) Elizabeth Peters, Candace Robb, Bernard Knight, Peter Tremayne...

Sara Douglas mainly writes fantasy, but her Crucible series was set in the 14th century...

I posted this elsewhere but I'll throw it in here too with a strong recommendation to read:

The Darwin Conspiracy by John Darton

Don't forget Jeff Shaara and Michael Shaara. Rise to Rebellion, Gods and Generals, etc..

John Jakes is good too. He wrote a children's book called Susanna of the Alamo that's wonderful, very moving.

It is a long time since I read the “Flashman” books by George MacDonald Fraser, but I really enjoyed them. They are set in Victorian times.

Saddened at their exclusion thus far, I have to add:

• The Name Of The Rose, Umberto Eco;
  • The Island Of The Day Before, Umberto Eco;
  • Baudolino, Umberto Eco

Stewart said:
Saddened at their exclusion thus far, I have to add:

• The Name Of The Rose, Umberto Eco;
  • The Island Of The Day Before, Umberto Eco;
  • Baudolino, Umberto Eco

I've not read them yet, but I have bought them and plan to very soon.

I have one recommendation that is surprisingly good if you give it a chance and that is Anne Rice's Feast of All Saints, it has none of the supernatural themes that her other books have. And I rank it with my favorite books.

abecedarian said:
Don't forget Jeff Shaara and Michael Shaara. Rise to Rebellion, Gods and Generals, etc..

Probably some of the best historical fiction written. I had to read a couple of their books in college. Even though they write about the American Civil War I think non-Americans could enjoy their books. Well, if you enjoy war books that is.

mehastings said:
Probably some of the best historical fiction written. I had to read a couple of their books in college. Even though they write about the American Civil War I think non-Americans could enjoy their books. Well, if you enjoy war books that is.

Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause are about the American Revolution. I haven't read the second, but Rise to Rebellion is about the events surrounding the Boston Massacre, told from various viewpoints of various key players. I appreciated the even-handed coverage of this event from the British as well as the American side.

abecedarian said:
Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause are about the American Revolution. I haven't read the second...

You know, you're right. I've even read The Glorious Cause. It was good, but I didn't realize it was a sequel to another book until after I read it. I think Rise to Rebellion would have interested me more being set in Boston.

mehastings said:
You know, you're right. I've even read The Glorious Cause. It was good, but I didn't realize it was a sequel to another book until after I read it. I think Rise to Rebellion would have interested me more being set in Boston.

Rise to Rebellion is one of my favorites, even my picky hubby liked it too.

One of my faves is The Berkut by Joseph Heywood. A WW2 thriller where Stalin sends a team to hunt down Hitler after he fakes his death. I found it to be a riveting book.

I would also recommend The Company of Strangers by Robert Wilson.

veggiedog said:
Although I don't remember much of it, I remember liking I, Claudius by Robert Graves.
That plus its sequel, Claudius the God.

Also books like Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles, The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George and When We Were Gods, A novel of Cleopatra by Colin Falconer are well done and candidates for discussion.

pontalba said:
That plus its sequel, Claudius the God.

This is a revelation for me! I didn't even know there was a sequel :eek:
Great, now I have to read it or I will never be satisfied with my life :mad:

:D

I also loved those old Arthurian legends. Funny I can't remember any books based off of them.

Back