• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

historical fiction recommendations

The Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr is very good too, it has the same group of characters from the Alienist.

I would add Walter Scott's Rob Roy to teh list

and for the true collector of memorable historical events you must add
*1066 And All That* by Walter Carruthers Sellar and Robert Julian Yeatman
Line from Introduction: "William I was crowned at the Abbey National"
Sir Anthony Eden was brought down by the Sewage Crisis."
Guess its not what you had in mind but couldn't resist it. Read it history
will make your eyes water. :)

Hf

I cannot believe that no one has mentioned Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. The books are brilliant, accurate accounts of the last 80 years of the Roman Republic. The books in the series include:

THE FIRST MAN IN ROME
THE GRASS CROWN
FORTUNE'S FAVORITES
CAESAR'S WOMEN
CAESAR: LET THE DICE FLY
THE OCTOBER HORSE

I would also support those who mentioned The Pillars of the Earth.

calico- I was just looking at those at the library and thinking of checking them out, so now I will have to next time I'm in :)

recommendations for historical fiction

Most of what I read is historical fiction. Margaret George has written many novels--The Autobiography of Henry VIII is one I'm reading right now. I've read her books Mary Called Magdalene and Mary--Queen of Scots, as well.
If you can deal with extremely loooong novels these are good. she's a great storyteller.

Others--well--I would imagine everyone knows Marion Zimmer Bradley--The Mists of Avalon, and all the sequels--Lady of Avalon, and The Forest House.
She also wrote The Firebrand--which is about Cassandra, the seer of Apollo, during the Trojan War.

A real good book I read recently is by Anita Diamant called the Red Tent.
Another one is by Clysta Kinstler--called The Moon Under Her Feet--which is her rendition of the Mary Magdalene and Jesus story.

One of the BEST books I've read is by Kate Horsley--called Confessions of a Pagan Nun. All of these are historical fiction--and most all of them(except for King Henry VIII) are about women. So--if you like this kind of thing--
here are some really good reads.

I really liked Rise to Rebellion by Jeff Shaara. It's about the events leading up to and surrounding the Boston Massacre. I thought it a good telling of the story from both sides.

I just re-read Carry On Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham. It is a children's book, but still a great read, and makes me want to know more about Nathaniel Bowditch and his contributions to American history. I just found a list(a short list) of biographies for him, so I'll be toddling off to the library website later.. bTW- Latham wrote other historical fiction, one is about James Cooke I believe.

The Preservationist by David Maine is a good story of what it might have been like to be aboard Noah's ark..

Shiloh by Shelby Foote-gives the story of this Civil War battle from the perspective of several soldiers from both sides. I appreciated Foote telling the reader why he chose that way to tell this story.

anything by Rosemary Sutcliffe- she has several historical fiction series on various eras in British history. My favorite is The Eagle of the Ninth, set in the late Roman period. Her Black Ships Before Troy is a gorgeously illustrated re-telling of The Odyssey. Again, this author wrote primarily for older children or young adults, but she was a great writer and I think some of you would enjoy her.

I can't believe I forgot Johm Jakes! I loved the Kent Family Chronicles..you know, The Bastard, The Rebels, The Seekers, etc..

But did you know he wrote one children's book? Susanna of the Alamo..tells the true story of Susanna Clark, an Alamo survivor. I had a hard time reading this aloud to my kids because he made it so real, what it was like to be hiding in that church and hearing your husband, brother, or son being killed my Santa Ana's troops.

I like James A Michener. He usually takes a region, and just totally exploits the whole history of it from different character's viewpoints.

Some of his stuff is boring, reads like textbooks, like Iberia and Carribean. He was kind of phoning it in on those IMHO.

But Hawaii was incredible. I have also richly enjoyed The Source, Centennial, Chesapeake Bay, Poland and Caravans. I understand Texas is great, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

One warning: if you take a book where he starts with how the land develops, those first chapters are tough. Really dull and didatic. I would skip through to the first actual person or sometimes animal just so you don't give up in frustration. You can only read about, say, the plates colliding to form the Rocky Mountains so many times before you're like "Dammit! I get it man, I don't need a picture of every clump of mud!"

Some great historical fiction

If you like straight historical fiction here are some really detailed favorites

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet
The building of a Cathedral in 1100's England. It is a MUST read. I have given this to at least ten people and they all have come back to me with awe and thank you's.

Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Elenor of Aquitane, King Richard the Lionhearted, King John: the history, the betrayals, the loves. It's all there beautifully written and historically accurate. You sort of feel sorry for King John in the end! Wonderful thick book.

The Physician by Noah Gordon
A young man travels to Persia to pursue his dream of being a Doctor, during the time of great education and medicine in that country. Fabulous!

The Love Knot by Elizabeth Chadwick
A young woman learns to be a midwife and healer in England during the 1100's. Touching romance, herbal lore and medical techniques of the times.

The Quality of Mercy by Faye Kellerman
Rebecca Lopez, the beautiful daughter of Queen Elizabeth's own physician, keeps many secrets. Not only are she and her family conversos, or secret Jews who must practice their religion in secret, they're involved in a dangerous mission to smuggle Jews out of Spain during the inquisition. Rebecca craves adventure and walks about London where she meets Will Shakespeare, embarking on an adventure of passion and danger that shakes the very foundations of the Court.

A Vision of Light by Judith Merkel Riley
A beautiful woman comes close to death awakening to find she has the gift of healing. She learns the ways of midwifery and herbs, travels the world seeing the miracles of her day, and is tried for witchcraft. Eventually, things turn around for her only to have more heartache and strife come her way! Great book!

In Pursuit of the Green Lion by Judith Merkel Riley
The sequel to "A Vision of Light". The story of Margaret and Gregory and their trials and tribulations

Saving Grace by Julie Garwood
If you loved Outlander, you'll love this book! English lady holds lands in Scotland after her husbands death. Scottish laird marries her for the land. Treasure, dire secrets, and of course a strong heroine and love.

She Who Remembers by Linda Lay Shuler
This story, set in the late 1400's, is about the begining of the end of the Anasazi Peoples. Kwani, a beautiful woman, whose blue eyes mark her as a witch and set her apart from the Indian tribe that raised her, follows her destiny, finds love with Kokopelli, the Toltec magician, who rescues her from death and takes her to the Place of the Eagle Clan. There she becomes She Who Remembers, which provides her with the inner power to change her life forever.

Also with a mystery twist some of my faves:

The Apothecary Rose by Candice Robb
Those fascinated with herbal remedies, medieval times with rich historical details, a pinch of romance and mystery will enjoy this book. This is the first book featuring the exploits of Welshman Owen Archer, ex-captain of archers for the Duke of Lancaster (since he lost one eye) and spy-sleuth for the Archbishop of York. Lucie Wilton, the apothecary's wife and apprentice is a strong female character and makes a good partner for Owen. Great book!

Death Comes As Epiphany by Sharan Newman
Medieval murder mystery in 1139 France. 18-year-old Catherine LeVendeur is a novice nun who joins forces with a sculptor's apprentice to uncover evil doings. Abbess Heloise and Pierre Abelard add to this rich story of historical facts and a budding romance. This is the first of a series about Catherine's adventures and I highly reommend it!

No Dark Place by Joan Wolf
During the turbulent times of Norman England,a young nobleman discovers that his true identity is the link to an incredible mystery. Great book!

Hope you like these.

TTFN

bookbug :)

I would highly recommend the The Bruce Trilogy: The Steps to the Empty Throne/ The Path of the Hero King/ The Price of the Kings Peace by Nigel Tranter and The Civil War Trilogy: Gods and Generals/ The Killer Angels/ The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara. Both series give a unique POV through the eyes of some of history's greatest patriots as they fight for their beliefs and their country (Robert the Bruce, William Wallace, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses Grant etc...) Filled with action and very well written throughout.

Hawaii by James A. Michener was my first historical novel and it's hooked me on the genre. Is anyone aware of Historical fiction that takes place in Canada? I'm currently reading Journey by Michener which was apparently a storyline that was taken out of Alaska by Michener's editor. Unfortunately they've gone from Montreal to Edmonton in about 3 pages with very little information about the places they were going through. So far the Canadian content is thin. Less than 1/2 way throught though.

Wikipedia only lists 2 novels on their page listing Historical Fiction under Canada. One of them I added. The other is Let Loose the Dogs by Maureen Jennings.

My understanding of historical fiction is that it has to be a story set in a historical time period that was before the author's lifetime. That's what they taught me in library school anyway. So although people like Dickens and Bradley are great writers, I don't think their books count as historical fiction. Dickens was writing basically about his time and Bradley's Avalon series is fantasy.

That being said, I enthusiastically second (or third) the Caleb Carr and Wilbur Smith recommendations. The Red Tent was good too, and if you liked that, Orson Scott Card wrote a Women of Genesis series (starting with Sarah) that has a very different interpretation of the same Biblical characters, and they're also really well-written.

KristoCat said:
My understanding of historical fiction is that it has to be a story set in a historical time period that was before the author's lifetime. That's what they taught me in library school anyway. So although people like Dickens and Bradley are great writers, I don't think their books count as historical fiction. Dickens was writing basically about his time

A Tale of Two Cities was not about his own time. The problem is that he did not do research. He only read Carlyle's work about the French revolution, which is more a horror pamphlet than a history book.

Rose Tremain...

...Music and Silence. Blew me away! Set in 17th Century Denmark, it's about an English lutenist hired to the court of the Danish King and his vile and adulterous queen. There are several intertwined stories and her writing's just fantastic. Haven't read anything else by her yet, but intend to. A true talent.

I love historical fiction too, my favs are
The Other Boleyn Girl and the Queens Fool by Phillippa Gregory
Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles and Cleopatra by Margaret George
The Morland Dynasty series by Cynthia Harrod -Eagles
Nigel Tranter and Jean Plaidy are also good
I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles
The Diary of Anne Boleyn by Robin Maxwell

I see only one person mentioned jean plaidy!!! I only recently discovered her. I love history and biographies but I never realised how great historical fiction is. I was introduced by Jean Plaidy by a friend who started her trilogy about Catherine de Medici, very good. I'm hooked. Luckly here is a 2nd handbook shop that had quite a few novels by her 'cause it seems most of them are out of print :(

Zooie said:
You may want to check out some of Gore Vidal's books. I'm currently reading Creation which is about the ancient world. Most of his historical fiction is about America though. Burr and Lincoln are a couple of examples.

I second Burr as a good book. I just finished that one and it was a real pleasure to read.

for historical fiction the best i can recommend is anything by Jean Plaidy. Wow i just recently discovered her works and have been trying to collect her books. My fav so far of hers is The Sun In Splendor which is about King Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville. Great author esp if you like to read about the monarchs of england.

stormspirit said:
I see only one person mentioned jean plaidy!!! I only recently discovered her. I love history and biographies but I never realised how great historical fiction is. I was introduced by Jean Plaidy by a friend who started her trilogy about Catherine de Medici, very good. I'm hooked. Luckly here is a 2nd handbook shop that had quite a few novels by her 'cause it seems most of them are out of print :(

You can get Jean Plaidy books on Amazon these days - I believe they're mostly all being reprinted.

If you like her books, you may also like "Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn" by Nell Gavin, which is historical fiction with a twist. You see the court of Henry VIII, but you view it from the eyes of Anne Boleyn as she goes through her life review after her execution. She focuses less on what happened than she does on examining how the things that happened resulted because of her karma from previous lifetimes. So, she also pulls in descriptions of earlier and later lifetimes. It's well-written and fascinating whether you believe in reincarnation or not.

This probably doesn't technically qualify as "historical fiction" but it takes place in the 1800s and I'm mentioning it because it was just SO GOOD. "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry.

Back